Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

Default Where did the whole "Red Rocker" persona derive from?

Never heard that explained before..

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There has been some discussion here before in a thread somewhere. Don't remember when or where though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

He liked red and wore it constantly when performing. Someone started calling him the "Red Rocker" and the name stuck. Kind of disappointing story if you ask me.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.18.16 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

It's what he sits in on his front porch when telling the neighborhood kids that he once sang for Van Halen. (it's a joke i made a while a go when I saw a similar thread) I've often wondered the same thing. Kind of a lame tag, but I guess it worked for him...........

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I can tell you about the persona of Sasquatch.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bottagetta View Post
    Never heard that explained before..
    Found this on Wikipedia.

Solo (1976 - 1984)
    Hagar commenced a solo recording and touring career to increasing success. After moderate success on Capitol Records, with such albums as Nine on a Ten Scale and hits such as Red, Hagar made some personnel changes, including enlisting long time friend and former Justice Brothers bandmate David Lauser as his drummer. With these changes, and a change to Geffen Records, Hagar enjoyed hits such as "Heavy Metal", "Three Lock Box", and perhaps his best-known song "I Can't Drive 55", a gripe against the federally-imposed speed limit of 55 miles per hour (88 km/h) on all U.S. highways. (The limit was increased on certain roads in 1987, and the law repealed in 1995; the song was updated for NASCAR broadcasts on NBC in 2001 to 65, and is used in NHL Rivals 2004.) During this time, his frequent appearance in his red attire in videos and in concert would lead up to his given trademark nickname of "The Red Rocker".
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.29.07 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'Red Rocker' Origins

Pretty sure that Sammy adopted the nickname RR after reading a concert review of his show in Vancouver, Canada during the 1978 Musical Chairs tour. The reviewer goes on to provide an analysis of the show .i.e., the Red Rocker did this, the Red Rocker did that, the Red Rocker is an energetic performer, etc.. I have the actual article in front of me as we speak. Moreover, I remember reading an interview many years ago in which Sammy refers to this incident, that, or possibly heard reference to it on 'Rockline' (a call-in interview radio program ). I assume that Hagar liked the term, embraced it as an official moniker/persona, and the legend grew from there. In the end, I am almost certain that a Canadian music journalist coined the term RR.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tas View Post
    Pretty sure that Sammy adopted the nickname RR after reading a concert review of his show in Vancouver, Canada during the 1978 Musical Chairs tour. The reviewer goes on to provide an analysis of the show .i.e., the Red Rocker did this, the Red Rocker did that, the Red Rocker is an energetic performer, etc.. I have the actual article in front of me as we speak. Moreover, I remember reading an interview many years ago in which Sammy refers to this incident, that, or possibly heard reference to it on 'Rockline' (a call-in interview radio program ). I assume that Hagar liked the term, embraced it as an official moniker/persona, and the legend grew from there. In the end, I am almost certain that a Canadian music journalist coined the term RR.
    More proof that Canadians secretly control the world....

In other news....the Greenback is still in hospital after the vicious raping and beating by a suspicious water fowl only known to us as...the Loonie.....well our dollar is named after a Loon so you get what I'm saying
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"I love St. Louis!" said Sammy Hagar, legendary rocker and the genius behind the Cabo Wabo brand. "I was given the name Red Rocker in St. Louis. I love the people here."

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

03.13.16 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I read somewhere that Carter from his early days gave him that nickname...