VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default INTERESTING READ FROM WIKIPEDIA ABOUT THE MARSHALL

FOUND THIS .

It's been widely claimed that Eddie Van Halen's #1 Marshall amplifier has either been completely stock or heavily modified. Techs who claim to have seen inside his amp such as Chris Merren and Doug Roccaforte allege[22] that at the time of recording Van Halen's first album, the Marshall amplifier was completely stock. However, amp tech Mark Cameron claimed he found a schematic of EVH's amp in amp tech Jose Arredondo's shop after he died that showed numerous modifications that had been performed by Jose. As well as the "Jose" 16 Ohm load box, it had a transformer-coupled line out that was used to create a line out signal, which was then run into another Marshall amp's input. Basically it uses the first amp like a tube stompbox, and getting increased distortion, feedback, and gain that way. Regardless of whether the amp was modded, its serial number was 12301, which dates it to the transitional period at Marshall of 1967-1968 when the circuit of the 100 watt Marshall 1959 changed gradually from the 'Bass' circuit to the 'SuperLead' circuit. The fact that most '12000 series' (serial number in the twelve thousand range) transitional amps made during this period were a mixture of the two circuits makes it more plausible that Ed's amp was in fact stock, since the mixture of the two circuits provides a tone not dissimilar to Eddie's

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Eddie's been saying more recently that his tone was actually just the Marshall stock, and I'm apt to believe him simply because the man could play a lunch pail with strings and it would still sound like him; it's in his hands, head, and heart.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Beats Workin'
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Len75 View Post
    FOUND THIS .

It's been widely claimed that Eddie Van Halen's #1 Marshall amplifier has either been completely stock or heavily modified. Techs who claim to have seen inside his amp such as Chris Merren and Doug Roccaforte allege[22] that at the time of recording Van Halen's first album, the Marshall amplifier was completely stock. However, amp tech Mark Cameron claimed he found a schematic of EVH's amp in amp tech Jose Arredondo's shop after he died that showed numerous modifications that had been performed by Jose. As well as the "Jose" 16 Ohm load box, it had a transformer-coupled line out that was used to create a line out signal, which was then run into another Marshall amp's input. Basically it uses the first amp like a tube stompbox, and getting increased distortion, feedback, and gain that way. Regardless of whether the amp was modded, its serial number was 12301, which dates it to the transitional period at Marshall of 1967-1968 when the circuit of the 100 watt Marshall 1959 changed gradually from the 'Bass' circuit to the 'SuperLead' circuit. The fact that most '12000 series' (serial number in the twelve thousand range) transitional amps made during this period were a mixture of the two circuits makes it more plausible that Ed's amp was in fact stock, since the mixture of the two circuits provides a tone not dissimilar to Eddie's
    Eddie said in an interview some time ago the whole Jose mod was a rumor meant to drum up business for his friend. However, Ed has always kept the secrets of his rigs in the dark, so who knows ?
    "VH is like the chick who you haven't seen in a while... There were ups and downs, disappointments abound, but fucked ya so good. She calls ya and wants you to come over... You're not gonna remember the bad, you're gonna head over for a piece of ass... BUT, you're not goin' over there to get back together again for the longterm 'cause ya know it ain't gonna last forever!!!" -fast98dodge

~~~MY VH SHOWS~~~

Verizon Center-Washington DC 3/28/12

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Eddie's been saying more recently that his tone was actually just the Marshall stock, and I'm apt to believe him simply because the man could play a lunch pail with strings and it would still sound like him; it's in his hands, head, and heart.
    Very true because no matter what rig I play through it still sounds like a lunch pail with strings...rusty strings at that.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

A Year to the Day, One I want
    Last Online

07.11.08 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

agreed a guitarists playing style is as different as his fingerprint each of us uses a different amount if force when we fret a note btw i have heard the same thing from numerous places other than wikipedia. the only way for any of us to know for sure is to say "hey eddie is your marshal modded or completely stock". things keep popping in to my head lol. i seem to remember seeing a photo of eddies marshall and it looks like the front cover has been ripped off.
    Last edited by jacksonguitars4life; 10.15.07 at 10:25 AM.
    "MY FAVORTITE THING ABOUT MY RIG IS MY PEDALBOARD. MAN, I WENT TO HOME DEPOT, BOUGHT A FEW METAL STRAPS AND BOLTED THOSE MOTHER F**KIN' STOMPBOXES DOWN! SCREW THAT WIMPY VELCRO! YOU NEED METAL!"-Zakk Wylde

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Len75 View Post
    FOUND THIS .

Problem with Wikipedia is anyone can log on and edit an entry or add their own thing, so it is completely unreliable as any kind of a serious source. There is a LOT of bad info on Wikipedia, not just for guitar stuff, but everything else. I tend to go with the stock Marshall scenario myself, but that's just my opinion.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the "transformer-coupled line out that was used to create a line out signal" kinda struck me as being true(unless i'm mistaken). i remember reading something by James brown the guy from peavey responsible for designing the original 5150 series of amps and he said that when he visited ed at 5150 studios during the recording of f.u.c.k. ed had his old marshall head plugged into the input of a soldano head...and thats what the guys from peavey had to beat, im pretty sure it was in issue 1 of peaveys monitor magazine, which i had but since then ive moved house twice and i fear that the wife used it as packing matereal....as for other mods all we will ever know was he used a variac....anything beyond that is anybodys guess
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who knows what to believe with this guy. Personally I believe he says whatever is best for the current product-du-jour that he's whoring out at the time.

"I've been chasing tone my whole life and this is the ultimate amp"
    - The 5150 III

When he first went to Peavey he said he finally found a company that "got it". He just said that about Fender too. For christ sake, the guys is about to endorse a wha pedal and, until now, he's barely used one. Funny how some of the early reports from the current tour said he was using his wah a lot on songs that he's never used it on before, isn't it?
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox