Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.23.09 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

5150 Settings Question.

Ok, I didn't see a past thread on this in my immediate quick search so I thought I'd ask some of the more seasoned guitar veterans out there...

For those who have seen the VHIII show live in Australia back in 1998, what are Ed's amp settings for that show? It was a very interesting tone I thought, and I was wondering if anyone has any pics of ed's amps from that tour or just gave that tone a shot. I would be much appreciated if someone could grab me those settings. I've seen conflicting reports that ed turned his resonance up to about 6 on that tour, with the prescence also at 6, but then some say he kept the resonance at 3 and left his standard settings that are published all over the net. It doesn't sound like his standard settings to me...hmmm.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Likewise, I'd be curious to know where he set his 5150 IIs at.

Also, those settings that are "published all over the net"? I have no idea what they are. Can anyone do a quick rundown?

I think I've often seen Ed's mid settings as being turned way down--to 2 or so. I've always pushed my mids way up--to 7 or 8. I know that goes against the common rock norm, but to my ear I get more definition. How's everyone else set their mids?

Last Online

12.07.07 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually set my mids pretty low unless I'm going for modern power rock tone. For me the high mids muddy things up too much, but its all subjective anyhow. I think some of his settings were published, can't remeber how though. I think he or his tech said something in an interview about the settings he used on a particular tour. Maybe not though, haven't worried about his settings much lately, as all of his "old" 5150 amp stuff as of late has been that tinny thin sound with that godforsaken sustainer, not my cup of tea. The 5150III stuff sounds alright though, sans sustainer. But I used to use the woflgang registry as a reference for his settings, if you haven't checked there yet. They're pretty close most of the time.

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've been using a 5150 head for 10 years and for the last 5 or so i've found the secret to a great tone with that amp, or at least a great tone to my ears, is not using the lead channel....on the rhythm channel, i turn the crunch and bright buttons on, then turn the pre-gain up to about 6 and it sounds better than any amp i've ever used.....

Brian
    www.myspace.com/songsofthetenthplanet

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

on my 5150n i usually set the mids around 7-8 with the treble at about 9 and the bass at about7...again i know its against the norm but i kinda like the tone i get and it cuts though pretty well
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.07.07 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr.bullet View Post
    i've been using a 5150 head for 10 years and for the last 5 or so i've found the secret to a great tone with that amp, or at least a great tone to my ears, is not using the lead channel....on the rhythm channel, i turn the crunch and bright buttons on, then turn the pre-gain up to about 6 and it sounds better than any amp i've ever used.....

Brian
    I was gonna say the same thing. The rhythm channel sounds awesome, and I rarely use the lead channel.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:13 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Well I need the rhythm channel for clean stuff, so I always use the lead. Oh well.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Likewise, I'd be curious to know where he set his 5150 IIs at.

Also, those settings that are "published all over the net"? I have no idea what they are. Can anyone do a quick rundown?
    Here you are, kind sir!

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gea...e=amps_effects

I actually tried turning my res. up to 6 last night and the pres. a little past 6 and it had shades of his Live III tone. The EQ stayed relatively basic when i tried too. 7/2/5. I still want to nail that sound... alot of people disliked it, but I thought it was very unique and wouldn't mind playing a couple shows with that tone to see how it cuts through the mix.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Well I need the rhythm channel for clean stuff, so I always use the lead. Oh well.
    The crunch engage on the 5150 II foot pedal was a nice added option from the original for situations just like this. It really is a lot more like having three channels.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr.bullet View Post

Brian
    www.myspace.com/songsofthetenthplanet
    I've had a lot of luck with lower/regular output PAFs (like an SD '59) with this same approach.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

A Year to the Day, One I want
    Last Online

07.11.08 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 on the mids wtfun ah well to each his own
    any of you guys have any idea how much the gear on that mikes guitar site cost thats at least a $50k rig
    "MY FAVORTITE THING ABOUT MY RIG IS MY PEDALBOARD. MAN, I WENT TO HOME DEPOT, BOUGHT A FEW METAL STRAPS AND BOLTED THOSE MOTHER F**KIN' STOMPBOXES DOWN! SCREW THAT WIMPY VELCRO! YOU NEED METAL!"-Zakk Wylde

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what input Eddie usually used on his 5150s? I usually lean towards the low gain input.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

always high input

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After flicking through this thread I went out the back room where my 5150 combo lives and basically turned the mid and treble down while keeping the prescence fairly high.

What a huge difference! I had actually been really disillusioned with the amp of late, but I can now turn the gain up a bit and still have a sweet crunchy sound - awesome. Just having the old music played live again has sorta got me back into it - I feel like I am rediscovering the old VH again.

One question - any of you guys use the effects loop with the combo with a floormount effects system?

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, so. I tried some different settings on my 5150 block letter head and I came up with something decent. This definitely is NOT vhIII tone, nor is it classic EvH, but it sounds good to my ears and I'm a really picky guy when it comes to tone. I use a home made VHI strat with a duncan custom custom, and here are my settings. give em a try,

High Gain Input

Lead Pre: 5.5

Low: 7
    Mid: 2.5
    High: 5

Lead Post: Whatever you like.

Resonance: 3.5
    Prescence: 6

let me know what ya think. A good mix between eddies new tone and his old tone, decent, even sound.