Favorite VH Album

Van Halen - Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.21.10 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quick Question

I'm tryin' to get my strings closer to my frets (thus, easier to press down and play)(I think this is called the 'Action' of the guitar?) Is it a matter of how i put the strings on? or is there a screw to tighten/loosen? Thanks.

BTW It's a fender *squier strat. Starting guitar...

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The bridge of a Fender Strat (the metal thing where the strings attach on the body) has six little "saddles". One for each string. The strings pass over the saddles as they come out of the body and head down the neck. Each saddle has two little screws--one on each side--that can be raised or lowered to adjust the height of the string. (Yes, it's called the "action".) The screws almost always require an Allen wrench instead of a screwdriver.

You should also know that lowering the bridge saddles is sometimes only part of the whole action lowering process. If you're really new at this, you should at least take it to a guitar store and have an experienced person look at it. Sometimes the free advice is enough, or you might want to spend a few bucks and have them do it for you.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream is over, Dreams
    Last Online

01.02.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

What you might need is a professional set up. The action is effected by adjusting the bridge, or the nut, or adjusting the neck. You can fuck up your guitar if you don't know exactly what your doing when you mess with these things so you should take it to a guitar shop that does repairs and set ups and tell them exactly what you want. A really good set up is usually between 35 and 65 dollar. It is worth it though.

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Step 1: Lay the guitar down on the garage floor
    Step 2: Roll the car up over the strings.
    Step 3: Leave it overnight
    Step 4: Profit

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pvhawkeye08 View Post
    I'm tryin' to get my strings closer to my frets (thus, easier to press down and play)(I think this is called the 'Action' of the guitar?) Is it a matter of how i put the strings on? or is there a screw to tighten/loosen? Thanks.

BTW It's a fender *squier strat. Starting guitar...
    Take it to a pro.

Unless your troubles can be solved by tightening the truss rod a stitch, just take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I want to mention here that it's pretty hard to destroy a Fender Strat just by fooling around with a screwdriver and a wrench. It's a very good guitar to learn on if you're interested in doing it yourself.
    Most of what I know about guitar repair came from taking my Strat apart and putting it back together. There's also something very satisfying about knowing your guitar inside and out. You feel more in control of it.
    Occasionally, I'd get things too out of whack and I'd have to take it in to be readjusted by a pro. But that actually happened pretty rarely.
    Don't mess around with parts that are glued together, but anything that's screwed together can be taken apart and put back pretty easily. Remember not to use too much muscle. I don't think there's a single screw or nut on a Strat that needs to be much more than finger-tight.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

To echo what a few have already said, take it to a pro. Just about any music store can do a "full setup" on your guitar for you. It'll be as little as $25 and as much as $75 (should be somewhere in the middle). Be sure to tell them you want the action as low as possible.

Unless you're hell-bent on learning the process yourself this early on, it isn't worth getting frustrated trying to figure out how to do adjustments. Action adjustment on a cheaper guitar is usually more than one thing; a neck truss rod adjustment (which should be checked every seasonal change), bridge saddle adjustment, spring tension adjustment, and possible shimming of the neck are all potential factors.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i think most people on here have offered great advice....take it to a pro and get it set up properly(coz if they fuck up your guitar they'll be the ones fixing it at their cost!) but if u are really determined to "have a go your self" theres some pretty good websites that have "how to's" for free just be carefull to follow any instructions carefully and if in doubt check back here most of us are more than happy to help if we can. give this site a try, i use it sometimes when im stuck and ive never had any bad advice from them...
    http://www.projectguitar.com/menu/tutorial.htm

on a similar note i sometimes get my guitars set up at a local music store by a guy who builds the most amazing acoustics ive ever played...he also happens to be totaly blind!!, i swera every time he touches my guitars its like they're brand new
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

And to add to the above post by reiterating what someone here also said: If you do adjustments on your own don't ever over-tighten anything.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen - Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.21.10 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey guys, thanks for the advice- took it to a local guitar shop and the guy changed out my strings and lowered the action- all i had to do was pay for the very nice, coated, guitar strings that should last me a few months i'm guessing. Plays much better now! Time to get down the tapping intro to HFT and clean up my Mean Street intro. I have been playing for not quite a year yet and it's pretty exciting to play some of this crazy stuff! The solos get me though... haha