Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts

Default Big rigs burn in California freeway tunnel

Big rigs burn in California freeway tunnel

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The major north-south freeway through north Los Angeles County was shut down Saturday after a fiery pileup in a truck-only tunnel injured at least 10 people and left at least one person missing.

The fire continued to burn Saturday morning, with black smoke boiling out of both sides of the Interstate 5 tunnel and orange flames clearly visible.

"Initially, we had explosions, and we're continuing to have explosions inside the tunnel," said Los Angeles County Fire Department spokesman Jason Hurd.

At least 15 big rigs were involved in the accident that began late Friday when two trucks collided inside the tunnel, Hurd said. Wreckage was spread out over half a mile, The Associated Press reported.

The blaze shut down not only the truck tunnel but also the north- and southbound auto lanes that run above it.

Hurd said flames inside the tunnel had been intense, to the point that the tunnel and the freeway bridge above it may be damaged.

Engineers from the California Department of Transportation were at the mouth of the tunnel checking, as well as they could, the integrity of the walls. Chunks of the concrete wall easily gave way when struck with a hammer.

Firefighters could not enter the tunnel because of the intensity of the flames and the lack of information on the trucks' contents, Hurd said.

He could not estimate when the roadway would reopen.

Ten people got out of the tunnel on foot, AP reported. Hurd said 10 people were taken to hospitals with slight to moderate injuries, and there was a report of one person missing.

"We're going to have to do a very methodical search," Deputy Chief John Tripp told KABC-TV, according to AP. "There could be unfortunately more people that were not able to escape."
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit - The site where you are the search engine.

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

08.22.16 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

yea i saw that this morning, that was a pretty big fire, it's probally pretty damaged
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen