Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    PM Goo with your concerns OLO's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.99
    Age
    49
    Location
    Enumclaw, WA
    Posts
    18,055
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Likes
    91
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

    Default **** Van Halen Toronto 10-12 Show 2 *** Reviews ***

    10.12 Toronto, ON

    Reviews ONLY!!! All non reviews will be deleted. If you did not attended this show don't post in this thread.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

  2. #2
    Top Of The World FatStrat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.13.04
    Age
    32
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    197
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Excellent!

    It was another excellent show tonight. I had floor seats this time, wore earplugs, and had a bit more to drink. Ed's playing really did seem great, and the entire band seemed tight and focused. They seem to playing consistently this tour, and I hope they hit the studio soon.

    Some people might have noticed, I think Ed's tech had his delay set a bit too fast during Cathedral and he couldn't keep up and kept getting frustrated.
    Last edited by FatStrat85; 10.12.07 at 08:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    10.03.07
    Location
    oakville, ontario
    Posts
    255
    Favorite VH Album

    van halen I / fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained
    Last Online

    01.05.12 @ 10:01 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    OH MY F-ING GOD !!!!

    tonight rocked they really brought it home tonight compared to sunday....

    differences:

    roth is slowly becoming roth of old.... riffing off one liners, acting more like a rock God than a cruise ship director: his screams were spot on AND he did the arch back at one point like on the front of VH I....

    they jammed out cream's 'spoonful' at one point which was awesome....

    alex's drum solo was awesome and actually interacted with the crowd tonight getting us all to clap along to the beat at one point (just like the old days)

    now a word on wolfie: 2 parts....

    first.... why does he stand still? i think i figured it out tonight.... lol because his father plays in a different time count and universe than everyone else and he and alex countless times tonight brought him back in line beat-wise.... when it could have become a train wreck.... wolfie literally looks like he is concentrating so hard on when his dad starts going of the beat and then he and alex 'fix it up'

    second.... after saying the above.... at the end of jump wolfie finally 'lost it' and did a few leaps off the drum riser to the cropped jawed look from eddie and then proceeded to run to every available mike screaming 'JUMP!!!!' and then started spinning around and such back to his side so much he actually missed the beginning of the bows.... so, when he does come into his own, MA fans dont fear.... this kid has stage presence it has just been hidden....

    eddie looked pissed as all hell at his tech tonight, there were numerous technical 'difficulties' but the best part was the other 3 just kept the beat and the show rolling right along....

    roth: all the talk about the 'bad' tattoo on his back.... we were in section 118 right up by the stage and at one point he was flashing his chest to the crowd and from what i could see, there was NO tattoo there.... i could be wrong but i didnt see any....


    overall sound.... whatever cleveland fed these guys holy shit what a difference a few days makes.... the over all vibe and sound seemed much heavier and van halen-ish than did sunday....

    ok thats all i can think of now, thanks to the dude standing beside us with the lethal weed.... fuck, by the half-way point i couldnt feel my arms LOL

    and thats another thing.... the crowd.... a few of us were noticing that by the half way point we were literally exhausted from cheering and screaming and such.... so if there are any dips in crowd noise or such that could be why.... they are literally tiring out the crowd....

    this just keeps getting better and better.... ok enough rambling for now until i get my brain back and can give more input....


    cheers!!!!

  4. #4
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    10.03.07
    Location
    oakville, ontario
    Posts
    255
    Favorite VH Album

    van halen I / fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained
    Last Online

    01.05.12 @ 10:01 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    heres some guys flicker account of pics from tonight.... enjoy....

    http://flickr.com/photos/mrbeng/sets/72157602392580476/

  5. #5
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    11.01.06
    Location
    TORONTO
    Posts
    216
    Favorite VH Album

    FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

    SO THIS IS LOVE
    Last Online

    09.02.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cat man99 View Post
    OH MY F-ING GOD !!!!

    tonight rocked they really brought it home tonight compared to sunday....

    differences:

    roth is slowly becoming roth of old.... riffing off one liners, acting more like a rock God than a cruise ship director: his screams were spot on AND he did the arch back at one point like on the front of VH I....

    they jammed out cream's 'spoonful' at one point which was awesome....

    alex's drum solo was awesome and actually interacted with the crowd tonight getting us all to clap along to the beat at one point (just like the old days)

    now a word on wolfie: 2 parts....

    first.... why does he stand still? i think i figured it out tonight.... lol because his father plays in a different time count and universe than everyone else and he and alex countless times tonight brought him back in line beat-wise.... when it could have become a train wreck.... wolfie literally looks like he is concentrating so hard on when his dad starts going of the beat and then he and alex 'fix it up'

    second.... after saying the above.... at the end of jump wolfie finally 'lost it' and did a few leaps off the drum riser to the cropped jawed look from eddie and then proceeded to run to every available mike screaming 'JUMP!!!!' and then started spinning around and such back to his side so much he actually missed the beginning of the bows.... so, when he does come into his own, MA fans dont fear.... this kid has stage presence it has just been hidden....

    eddie looked pissed as all hell at his tech tonight, there were numerous technical 'difficulties' but the best part was the other 3 just kept the beat and the show rolling right along....

    roth: all the talk about the 'bad' tattoo on his back.... we were in section 118 right up by the stage and at one point he was flashing his chest to the crowd and from what i could see, there was NO tattoo there.... i could be wrong but i didnt see any....


    overall sound.... whatever cleveland fed these guys holy shit what a difference a few days makes.... the over all vibe and sound seemed much heavier and van halen-ish than did sunday....

    ok thats all i can think of now, thanks to the dude standing beside us with the lethal weed.... fuck, by the half-way point i couldnt feel my arms LOL

    and thats another thing.... the crowd.... a few of us were noticing that by the half way point we were literally exhausted from cheering and screaming and such.... so if there are any dips in crowd noise or such that could be why.... they are literally tiring out the crowd....

    this just keeps getting better and better.... ok enough rambling for now until i get my brain back and can give more input....


    cheers!!!!
    another great show! thought it was a little better than sunday but not much of a difference. ed seemed to be a little more on to start the show, but then his tech fucked up several times and seemed to really piss him off. i was 3rd row in the pit sunday and row 1 in section 118 tonight so i saw everything that was going on with ed and his tech. at the start of dance the night away ed was waiting several seconds for the tech to bring him his fucking guitar. i know several seconds does not sound like a big deal, but it is when al has already started the song and is looking around wondering where the fuck is ed. there was another point where the tech did something and ed looked at him like he wanted to kill him and it seemed like he said to him "you're done". anyhow, absolute great show! had a blast and the band looked and more importantly sounded great. i'll wait seemed to be a lot better tonight compared to sunday. one thing... they have to get the full bug in the set. i'm exhausted and i'm out!

  6. #6
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    01.30.02
    Age
    44
    Location
    seated
    Posts
    28
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    So this Is love
    Last Online

    08.08.15 @ 11:25 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I think tonite was better than Sunday, but my better seats may have had something to do with it.....

    The band played really well, Dave's voice was better in some parts than the Sunday show, and Ed's playing was solid.
    Wolf's finger tapping part on Romeo Delight was awesome, I don't remember that from Sunday, but I was alot morre buzzed Sunday, so I can't be sure :-)

    The only thing that bugged me a bit was the lack of interaction with the audience...I figured Dave would have said something about 2 sold out shows, or something, anything about Toronto, or all the history VH has in the city....
    I don't think any of them even said the word "Toronto"...

    Anywho, was a good show, I hope they continue to get better...I might just drive up to Montreal for November 10th :-)
    The only good thing about a 10 hour car ride, is all the VH discs, back to back!

  7. #7
    On Fire Everybody Wants Some's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.30.04
    Location
    Mean Street, Ontario
    Posts
    383
    Favorite VH Song

    EWS!!!!
    Last Online

    05.14.09 @ 08:12 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well the kids got a LARGE dose of the old man belting out the tunes and giving an A-1 Air Guitar rendition for over 2 hours tonight as Van Halen absolutely kicked the shit outta all the pretenders to the Arena Rock Throne!! Eddie, you sir, as started from the debut album when I first heard Eruption as a 15 year old, are still my Rock Hero!! We all have played our tunes with the studio version for 30 years and tonight you NAILED the notes as if it was beeing played for the 2st time tonight! Ed looked HAPPY, Ed looked proud of Wolfie, had his Brotherly Love for Al and looked at Dave in the way only a best friend could!! There WILL be a studio release in 2008 followed by a Tour because me thinks the Boys have realized what it is they have here and Wolfie youthful exuberence will be the catalyst for the group to live for many more moons!!!! Imagine all the struggling musicians out there looking at Wolfie and thinking "Look at all these little kids, takin' care of the music biz, don't their Daddy's take good care of them!!" Imagine if you will, an interview in 10 years.... "So Wolfie, how did you get your start in Rock, what was your first ever gig?" Well, I played this show in Charlotte, maybe you heard of it? Yeah, kicked off the Van Halen 2007 World Tour!" Holy Mother of God he's got to be the luckiest damn 16 year old on the planet!! Good on yah Wolfie because I believe YOU'RE the reason your Dad has reagined his undisputed crown of Best damn Guitarist in the History of Rock!! I'm going on a US road trip....... gotta find me some shows to attend! Vegas at Christmas sure sounds good!

    There was 1 negative though! It was the 1984 Tour I saw the boys play together last at Maple Leaf Gardens and there were some real hot babes wearing some damn skimpy clothes that night! The problem is these "former babes" were there tonight and unfortunately some of them tried to wear the same damn clothes they has in '84!! OMG!! Lord, strike those poor babes down!!!
    The Rock says:
    "Lord....strike that poor boy down!"
    "Come on Dave, gimme a break!"
    "Big Double Take but You Keep on Walkin'!!"
    "Look at all these little kids, takin' care of the music biz...."

  8. #8
    Cabo-holic cabo_brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    2,078
    Last Online

    08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatStrat85 View Post
    It was another excellent show tonight. I had floor seats this time, wore earplugs, and had a bit more to drink. Ed's playing really did seem great, and the entire band seemed tight and focused. They seem to playing consistently this tour, and I hope they hit the studio soon.

    Some people might have noticed, I think Ed's tech had his delay set a bit too fast during Cathedral and he couldn't keep up and kept getting frustrated.
    always makes a diff when you are down front! I too saw some tech issues (i posted this is the original TO thread last night when i got home). Seemed as though Ed was a tad ticked at his guitar tech on a few occasions...appeared that he was shouting at him from side stage. Cathedral was a bit messed up too. My only beef about last night was too much bass...tough to hear Dave clearly a few times i found. This was, as has been the case the entire tour so far, the same setlist as the first TO show...would be nice to hear things changed up a bit. Also, Dave's story before Ice Cream Man was word for word a repeat from Sunday which makes me think that a few things with this show are kinda contrived (no surprise with DLR, he's always used the same lines over and over again). Still a great time and glad to see the band meshing well together. Al is an absolute beast on them drums. We'll likely see a 2nd leg of this tour in early '08...maybe back around these parts!!
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...


    VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

    The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

  9. #9
    Cabo-holic cabo_brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    2,078
    Last Online

    08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Everybody Wants Some View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well the kids got a LARGE dose of the old man belting out the tunes and giving an A-1 Air Guitar rendition for over 2 hours tonight as Van Halen absolutely kicked the shit outta all the pretenders to the Arena Rock Throne!! Eddie, you sir, as started from the debut album when I first heard Eruption as a 15 year old, are still my Rock Hero!! We all have played our tunes with the studio version for 30 years and tonight you NAILED the notes as if it was beeing played for the 2st time tonight! Ed looked HAPPY, Ed looked proud of Wolfie, had his Brotherly Love for Al and looked at Dave in the way only a best friend could!! There WILL be a studio release in 2008 followed by a Tour because me thinks the Boys have realized what it is they have here and Wolfie youthful exuberence will be the catalyst for the group to live for many more moons!!!! Imagine all the struggling musicians out there looking at Wolfie and thinking "Look at all these little kids, takin' care of the music biz, don't their Daddy's take good care of them!!" Imagine if you will, an interview in 10 years.... "So Wolfie, how did you get your start in Rock, what was your first ever gig?" Well, I played this show in Charlotte, maybe you heard of it? Yeah, kicked off the Van Halen 2007 World Tour!" Holy Mother of God he's got to be the luckiest damn 16 year old on the planet!! Good on yah Wolfie because I believe YOU'RE the reason your Dad has reagined his undisputed crown of Best damn Guitarist in the History of Rock!! I'm going on a US road trip....... gotta find me some shows to attend! Vegas at Christmas sure sounds good!

    There was 1 negative though! It was the 1984 Tour I saw the boys play together last at Maple Leaf Gardens and there were some real hot babes wearing some damn skimpy clothes that night! The problem is these "former babes" were there tonight and unfortunately some of them tried to wear the same damn clothes they has in '84!! OMG!! Lord, strike those poor babes down!!!
    I love the '84 babes in '84 clothes in 2007...we had one 3 rows in front of us...in a word...brutal. How can people leave the house like that and think 'damn, i'm hot'.
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...


    VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

    The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

  10. #10
    Top Of The World brianj74's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.27.04
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    167
    Last Online

    08.06.15 @ 01:01 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Nice to meet sinners swing, Jetguy, EVH-316, Shark1972 and Cabo Imbiber at Jack Astor's prior to the show. Waitress Lynn= talent.

    On to the show...

    As Dave said during his intro to Ice Cream Man, " ah the memories ".

    Marley started at 8:00 sharp and played for 30 minutes. VH went on at 9 sharp to a pack house. Security wasn't checking anyone that I could see, unless you had a bag/purse.

    Usual setlist, no changes.

    As mentioned in previous reviews on this tour, Dave is sounding better then he has in ages and night 2 in TO was no different.

    I have to say I was impressed by how well I'll Wait and Little Dreamer sounded. On the opposite side, I didn't think Hot for Teacher sounded too great.

    The black boxes on Ed's and Wolf's side of the stage are still around in case you care. I was in row 18 (section 108) on Wolf's side so it wasn't an issue but may have been for people in the first few rows of the stands.

    Speaking of that, I must have been in the weirdo section. Am older woman a few seats from me got busted by security about 3 songs in for smoking the " chronic ". A younger blonde woman was literally carried out by her boyfriend half way through for some reason. A few rows behind me, some guy was getting into it with security about 3/4 of the way into the show for unknown reasons.

    Setlist wise, a wetdream of classic stuff. However, Ed's solo needs to be moved up in the set, with it being so late, it kinda saps the energy from the crowd IMO prior to the set closer in ATBL. Was never a big fan of Jump as the opener (from the 2004 tour) and even less a fan of it as the closing song. Granted, it got a huge reaction from the crowd but I don't think it is a real closing type song.

    The band doesn't utilize the stage much as they could. Dave went on the " S " catwalk about 2-3 times the whole show and Wolf only one or so. At one point while on the catwalk, someone was using a camera phone and Dave took it and put it down his pants and gyrated a bit before returning it to its owner.

    Ed seemed to have a few issues during his solo but nothing glaring.

    Playing wise, Wolf was better then expected, didn't miss a beat. He hasn't developed much stage presence yet but with Ed and Dave on stage, he doesn't need a whole lot.

    I was pleasantly surprised at the interaction between Ed, Wolf and Dave. They all looked to be having fun throughout the show. Because if the band isn't having fun, why should the crowd ?

    Overall, if your not sure about going, trust me get a ticket. You can thank me later.

    And what ever became of EVH-316 ?
    Denis Leary's World According to Van Halen (circa 1994): Sammy, Eddie, Eddie's brother and the other guy.

  11. #11
    Cabo-holic cabo_brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    2,078
    Last Online

    08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianj74 View Post
    Nice to meet sinners swing, Jetguy, EVH-316, Shark1972 and Cabo Imbiber at Jack Astor's prior to the show. Waitress Lynn= talent.

    On to the show...

    As Dave said during his intro to Ice Cream Man, " ah the memories ".

    Marley started at 8:00 sharp and played for 30 minutes. VH went on at 9 sharp to a pack house. Security wasn't checking anyone that I could see, unless you had a bag/purse.

    Usual setlist, no changes.

    As mentioned in previous reviews on this tour, Dave is sounding better then he has in ages and night 2 in TO was no different.

    I have to say I was impressed by how well I'll Wait and Little Dreamer sounded. On the opposite side, I didn't think Hot for Teacher sounded too great.

    The black boxes on Ed's and Wolf's side of the stage are still around in case you care. I was in row 18 (section 108) on Wolf's side so it wasn't an issue but may have been for people in the first few rows of the stands.

    Speaking of that, I must have been in the weirdo section. Am older woman a few seats from me got busted by security about 3 songs in for smoking the " chronic ". A younger blonde woman was literally carried out by her boyfriend half way through for some reason. A few rows behind me, some guy was getting into it with security about 3/4 of the way into the show for unknown reasons.

    Setlist wise, a wetdream of classic stuff. However, Ed's solo needs to be moved up in the set, with it being so late, it kinda saps the energy from the crowd IMO prior to the set closer in ATBL. Was never a big fan of Jump as the opener (from the 2004 tour) and even less a fan of it as the closing song. Granted, it got a huge reaction from the crowd but I don't think it is a real closing type song.

    The band doesn't utilize the stage much as they could. Dave went on the " S " catwalk about 2-3 times the whole show and Wolf only one or so. At one point while on the catwalk, someone was using a camera phone and Dave took it and put it down his pants and gyrated a bit before returning it to its owner.

    Ed seemed to have a few issues during his solo but nothing glaring.

    Playing wise, Wolf was better then expected, didn't miss a beat. He hasn't developed much stage presence yet but with Ed and Dave on stage, he doesn't need a whole lot.

    I was pleasantly surprised at the interaction between Ed, Wolf and Dave. They all looked to be having fun throughout the show. Because if the band isn't having fun, why should the crowd ?

    Overall, if your not sure about going, trust me get a ticket. You can thank me later.

    And what ever became of EVH-316 ?

    was 'the hat' (evh_316_5150) getting into the beer at Jack's? Guess when last seen he hadn't decided yet if he was buying a ticket? Sorry, realized this is only for reviews...i'll revert to the official TO thread from this point on...see me over there...
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...


    VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

    The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

  12. #12
    aftershock5 BOBW_5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.05
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    516
    Favorite VH Album

    =VH= II & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Women in Love & Aftershock
    Last Online

    08.17.08 @ 08:02 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabo_brent View Post
    I love the '84 babes in '84 clothes in 2007...we had one 3 rows in front of us...in a word...brutal. How can people leave the house like that and think 'damn, i'm hot'.


    LMFAO

    I thought the same thing while at the Philly show

    Forget '84, even in '96 & '04 at least 1/2 the women were hot. It's as if I went from 35 to 50 that night (especially the way I felt 1/2 way thru-Jesus what a marathon!) but at least no one sat during the entire show. I'd be interested to see here if that's been the case @ all the shows. I'm serious, not 1 person sat down from start to finish. The only other time I can remember that from the 3 dozen shows I've seen over the years was the FUCK tour in '91. 12 shows & no one sat

    Same thing @ the 3 '93 shows. I'll speculate & say that when the band is happy, so is the audience. You could cut the tension w/ a knife in '96 & more so in '04. The audience picked up on that & it really makes for a shitty experience seeing a once-happy family turn into Heather Mills & Paul McCartny.

    Maybe Ed is finally happy & that makes for a great show anytime. Of couse, DLR adds plenty to this as well.
    "Michael Anthony on the Bass"

    -David Lee Roth, Largo--1982

    -Formally, aftershock5-

  13. #13
    Baluchitherium Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.01.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,239
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Likes
    470
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Well, the rumours are true. The playing was spot on. The sound was LOUD. The band was tight. They played all the tunes you'd expect from a Roth lead Van Halen. It was a good show!

    Some individual observations:
    1) Wolf. The kid has chops; period. It was so nice to actually HEAR the bass. I can not wait to hear what some studio work will sound like. Ya, he needs some work on stage presence - go figure, he's about 6 concerts into his career. If (as mentioned above) Jump is any indication, he's gonna be just fine.

    2) Ed. Welcome back man. When you spoke into the mic, I could understand you. When you walked across the stage, it was staggered. When you played guitar, you reclaimed your position as the best player in the world. As an aside, when walking upto the ACC, we walked by the tour busses....I saw some guy walk into one of the busses with a full case of Heinken - and I thought, uh-oh. But, no worries, the man is back in classic form. He had more energy then Roth!!!

    3) Alex had a camera on him a bunch of times, he looked to be having fun. He certainly kicks the shit out of his drum set. He had SO MANY drums as well - it was like looking at a the video for jump; the man was dwarfed behind those things.

    4) Roth. His singing was great. The last i'd seen him was the Sam/Dave tour. It was nice to see him grow up. There looked to be a lot of chemistry between him and Ed -nice to see. There were a couple of things that I questioned....I mean, why have the chains out in unchained? It was goofy. He brought the "large microphone" out, but didn't really do anything with it. He was having a blast though, he did some great kicks, his voice held up for 2 hours (wow!!). Good for him. A lot of his interaction with the crowd did seem scripted though (classic Dave stuff); "Look at all the people hear tonight", etc. It would have been nice to have a bit more natural interaction "Hey Toronto, we loved you so much, we're back!" that type of thing.

    There are only two majore "critiques" I have with the show:
    1) There are Sammy songs that I want to hear at a VH concert; period. Dave, if you don't want to sing them, let wolf do it.

    2) I really missed not having new material. There is a sense of wonder you get hoping they're going to play that new tune that you love so much. Ya, I got a bit of that by attending the show w/ Dave in front - but aside from the novelty of seeing Dave w/ Ed, Al and Wolf - it was nostalgia. At a minimum, play me wise magic, do a cover of some tune, something.

    However, for what the show was - it delivered. I'm glad I went.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

  14. #14
    Romeo Delight shark1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.20.07
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    110
    Favorite VH Album

    Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Fools/Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    03.24.17 @ 12:29 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    WOW, the morning after. Kinda feels like the day after Christmas when your a kid.

    First off, it was nice to meet all the guys at Jack Astor's before the show. It's too bad I didn't get there a little earlier but the traffic yesterday was insane. Still, a good time was had by all. The waitress wasn't bad either!

    On to the show.

    Amazing! Having seen the videos and read all the reviews I had pretty high expectations going into the show. Tonight's show met every one of them. Same setlist as previous shows so I kinda knew what to expect. If your a fan of CVH you have to see this show! Just the setlist alone is enough to make you smile. The band seemed in good spirits and I thought Wolfie did a fine job considering he's only 16! He seems like he is starting to get a little more loose on stage and getting more comfortable up there. He moved around more than I thought he would based on the other reviews. My brother, being a bass player, did notice he missed a few of the classic bass fills that MA did, however, I doubt this was noticable to the average fan.

    Dave was his usual self and was the grand ringmaster of the evening. Having never seen him with VH before, it was obvious to me during the show that THIS is where he belongs and HE is the best frontman for VH PERIOD! Nothing against Sammy, I like the stuff he did as well, however, after seeing them with Dave last night, that old VH magic/spirit (whatever you want to call it) was back and it was beautiful. Of all the times I seen them with Sammy, they just didn't have the swagger/pomp that they had last night. Welcome back Dave! I hope they continue on with new music after this tour.

    Ed/Al were both great last night! There were a few mistakes made by both throughout the show, however the good far outweight the bad. Ed was much better than 2004 and looked much happier on this tour. He did look like he was pissed during Cathedral though. You could tell he was just plain happy to be playing with Wolfie though...and Dave. He even kissed Dave at one point!

    Overall a great show. I really hope they continue on after this and by god, release a DVD from this tour!

    Happy Trails

  15. #15
    On Fire vhwithroththereturn's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.05.04
    Age
    53
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    402
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Outta Love & Unchained
    Last Online

    12.14.07 @ 01:05 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    9 more days!!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. **** Reviews 10.07 Toronto, ON ****
    By OLO in forum 2007 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10.11.07, 03:53 AM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08.17.02, 10:13 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08.14.02, 03:35 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06.22.02, 05:28 PM
  5. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06.04.02, 11:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •