Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Default Interesting note on Eddie's tuning

On the Huge Racks forum, a former guitar tech of Eddie's stated this:

"Ed's tuning is a brutal thing to do. Its the most bizarre tuning I have ever seen or had to do. It also HAS TO be done by ear while mimicking his hand pressure. He won't swap out the guitar on purpose. Silly, I know. "

Just a cool snippet I thought I'd share. This came up because apparently there are some videos of "Jump" on this tour where his guitar is grossly out of tune with the keys/band.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

Man he's weird.

When he goes out of tune he probably doesn't swap guitars because he is convinced everyone else is out of tune.

Ed: "Mike, Sam, and our stupid keyboard guy are all out of tune, they're fired."
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.23.08 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eddie's tuning

Quote Originally Posted by mk5 View Post
    On the Huge Racks forum, a former guitar tech of Eddie's stated this:

"Ed's tuning is a brutal thing to do. Its the most bizarre tuning I have ever seen or had to do. It also HAS TO be done by ear while mimicking his hand pressure. He won't swap out the guitar on purpose. Silly, I know. "

Just a cool snippet I thought I'd share. This came up because apparently there are some videos of "Jump" on this tour where his guitar is grossly out of tune with the keys/band.
    Ed's tuning is insane in the way that he manipulates it. He didnt do this through the Sammy era but with the Dave material, for the most part, his B and E strings are tuned flat compared to the E,A,D and G strings, its the only way he is able to get those perfect sounding triads on Unchained, Runnin with the Devil, Dance the Night away, Doctor, ETC, ETC...Its also why when you hear him soslo on the high E string it sounds little bit flat, because it is. Its also why you never hear him play full open chords in most of the classic material, he just "two notes" it, maybe three tops..The crazy thing is the can play a typical D chord lest say, and gets it to sound ok because he bends/applys more pressure to the D note on the B string to sharpen it and get it in tune. Words cant describe how insane and innovative this was and is. ...a few times on the videos from this tour he slips up or is jumping around and it sounds like his guitar is way out of tune, and it is, but Ed can usually make it work for his material which is the amazing part of his playing. This is the biggest part of his sound that people overlook. Insane

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

I guess that explains why I can never get my guitar tuned right to play along with CVH--that and my guitar and tuner both suck donkey ****.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really dont think so !! His tech just strobe tunes his guitar as best he can !! If he is goin out of tune ,like he did on the 2004 tour !! its more to do with the severe bashing of the floyd !! .

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dg5150 View Post
    I really dont think so !! His tech just strobe tunes his guitar as best he can !! If he is goin out of tune ,like he did on the 2004 tour !! its more to do with the severe bashing of the floyd !! .

Doug
    he is always "out of tune" if compared to a properly "tuned" guitar, , he plays it in a way that compensates for the flat tuing of the B and E strings. the 2004 tour was just a mess in general and he was so drunk that he couldnt even remember his own riffs let alone to sharpen certain strings. Any guitar , no matter how perfectly set up, tuned and intonated, will not produce the perfect triads like Ed gets in his early songs, which is why he flattens the B string and then tunes the high E to the B so he can have those double stops like the solos in YRGM and Panama, etc. in tune

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know that you cant perfectly tune a guitar !! But Eds guitar is stobe tuned ( Peterson) very precisely, to try and keep it as in tune as possible !!

I play in a Van Halen trib band over here, and i dont need to flatten certain strings to play triads !! on YRGM, Panama !! i can assure you of that !

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So it wasn't my sucky skills after all.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

LOL! Ed just THINKS he has the ears of Eric Johnson...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

VHI, VHII, WACF, Fair Warning
    Last Online

09.04.08 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I play in a Van Halen trib band over here, and i dont need to flatten certain strings to play triads !! on YRGM, Panama !! i can assure you of that !
    Exactly. Where do people come up with some of this stuff?
    And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I can understand where he is coming from... but I think my issue is I have very short fingers.

If someone tunes a guitar with a tuner and then I pick it up, I have to slightly adjust it to the way my fingers slightly munipulate the strings. As I said, I think it is worse for me due to short fingers, but I definately tune a guitar to fit my playing style, so I can understand where Ed is coming from.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PlexiBrown View Post
    Exactly. Where do people come up with some of this stuff?
    On a lot of guitars, I've found that if you do play triads on the upper strings and the open strings are in tune with each other, then you'll have some notes of the triad out of tune. Like if I want to play the Runnin' With the Devil chords and not have the notes beat from slightly being out of tune, I have to tune the B down just a little.

The Buzz Feiten tuning system is designed to alleviate these kinds of problems, but Ed said in an interview somewhere that he would rather bend the strings or whatever, rather than use it.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

After reading a late 70s interview with EVH in Guitar Player magazine that I found in an old book, I adopted his method of tuning for standard fulcrum trem guitars. This was from before the Floyd Rose days, and at the time I had a guitar with a standard trem too. Anyway, the upshot was you could balance the tuning so that when you did a dive bomb only the G and B strings would return sharp, and you could give them a quick bend to set them straight. It actually worked really well. I still have the book - I'll see if I can find the quote.

I did read something like the earlier poster's statement about tuning the G and B differently on Wikipedia, and never having seen that referenced in any other interview of article I've read, I wondered if someone had misinterpreted the trem tuning trick.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know that you cant perfectly tune a guitar !! But Eds guitar is stobe tuned ( Peterson) very precisely, to try and keep it as in tune as possible !!

Doug
    and I play in a Van Halen tribute band here, and while you are correct in that you dont "have" to flattern the strings to play the tunes, which is obvious, it still wont sound the same if you do not flatten them. If you dont get it then thats fine, but Im sure some players will know what Im talkig about

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Doug
    exactly. this is so stupid.