Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 775 Times in 310 Posts

Default US Congress recognises holy month of Ramadan

I heard this on the radio yesterday, but - CNN, Fox, nor any other domestic news source has reported it... Not sure why...

Washington, Oct 4: The US House of Representatives has adopted by a vote of 376-0, a resolution recognising the holy month of Ramadan and expressing the deepest respect to Muslims in the United States and throughout the world.

The resolution acknowledging importance of the Muslims in America, the first of its kind, was introduced by Texas Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson and co-sponsored by 30 legislators, including Representative Keith Ellison of Minnesota. Ellison is the first Muslim to be elected to the US Congress.

California’s Brad Sherman, who strongly supported the bill, said ‘’the observance of Ramadan requires devotion to faith, community and family, truly universal values we all share.”

He said it was ‘appropriate and necessary’ for the US Congress to recognise the observance to express the deep respect we all feel for Muslims in the United States and around the world.

The resolution reiterates support for American Muslims in the face of hate crimes, and maintains a strong stand against intolerance.

Executive Director of the Muslim Public Affairs Council Salam Al-Marayati said, ‘’It’s definitely a milestone for America and a positive reinforcement for the tradition of religious pluralism in our country,” which has been a haven for diverse religious minorities. ‘’It’s a sign of reassurance and a sign of inclusion and a sign of social harmony, and people are very pleased with the resolution for having accomplished these things.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 01:32 PM
    Liked 1,371 Times in 690 Posts

I guess it's a nice gesture, but is this something that's really imperative to America's needs? 376-0? Why can't we get votes like that on decreasing dependance on oil or fixing the looming social security problem? Maybe these politicians should spend more time on things that actually matter.

I saw a headline where Turky is pissed now because the Congress made a declaration that there was genocide against Armenians in WW I. Jesus Christ! Why even bother? I know they were getting lobbied hard by Armenian groups, but this is not for the greater good of foreign policy and our country.

Someone wake me up when Congress does something important.
    Last edited by bsbll4; 10.11.07 at 07:58 AM.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.12 @ 07:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Totally agree. Republican or Democrat.....I think we can all agree that congress has done NOTHING!

I get so frustrated when I watch the news. It's as if we've elected these idiots to go to Washington to call each other names and point the finger. Nobody wants to do anything.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of "modern revolution" of some kind if things continue to get worse.

I say "modern revolution", because I'm not implying that everyone is going to get guns and overrun the capital. However, stranger things have happened.

I do think that the two party system is at risk of going away sooner than later.
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I've often wondered when someone would start complaining about this chain's name...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 02:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Once again congress tackles another huge problem. Maybe now that's fixed, they can pass a resolution forcing David Lee Roth to rejoin Van H.... wait a minute.....
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence