Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

SAMMY!
    Last Online

02.28.08 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Are we Old? .. After seeing .. I am

Hey Guys!

Let me ask a question ... I am for the whole VH and Roth Tour, saw them last week .. but what happens when the tour ends? Most of us fans are from the 80's .. do we really need to go back there after this tour? At least with Sammy, things were fresh and "up to date". Songs did not sound like they were or are going to be dated soon.

While at the show .. most people were in there 40's and even 50's.. with that being said, songs like "Atomic Punk" and "Little Dreamer" are great for us older generation .. but the Sammy years make more sense to me now that I am 39.

People in the 30's .. 40's .. and even 50's.. can turn on any Sammy disc, and enjoy the hits that VH should be making now in there career. The band are not in there teens anymore!

This is not a Dave Vs. Sam issue .. I am just curious.

-Sidenote- .. some people near me asked the names of some songs .. kinda weird being 40 and telling them "Atomic Punk" .. "Somebody get me a Doctor".. "Romeo Delight" .. Maybe I am realizing that, while being a great tour .. I just outgrew the music.

Seeing the 2004 tour with Sam (even though Ed sucked) I felt in place. Brought my girlfriend and said the band sounded great .. knew more songs than just "Jump" . and Sam and Mike signed everything in sight!

Drive down the street and blast Atomic Punk out of your car .. outdated dude! Break out your leather and bandana

Drive down the street with Summer Nights or 5150 ... Gold!

As I remember an interveiw with Ed saying something like .. "We are not going over the old songs .. we are moving forward. You dont live in the past"

In Parting ... grab Sammys CD "Livin it up" .. great music for people over 30
    James

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

This better be a civil discussion, I'm sick of having to close threads because people can't discuss this stuff without attacking each other.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

ooooohhhhhhh shit!!.............this is not gonna be pretty!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

ALL SIX!!!
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 08:40 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar5150 View Post
    Hey Guys!

Let me ask a question ... I am for the whole VH and Roth Tour, saw them last week .. but what happens when the tour ends? Most of us fans are from the 80's .. do we really need to go back there after this tour? At least with Sammy, things were fresh and "up to date". Songs did not sound like they were or are going to be dated soon.

While at the show .. most people were in there 40's and even 50's.. with that being said, songs like "Atomic Punk" and "Little Dreamer" are great for us older generation .. but the Sammy years make more sense to me now that I am 39.

People in the 30's .. 40's .. and even 50's.. can turn on any Sammy disc, and enjoy the hits that VH should be making now in there career. The band are not in there teens anymore!

-Sidenote- .. some people near me asked the names of some songs .. kinda weird being 40 and telling them "Atomic Punk" .. "Somebody get me a Doctor".. "Romeo Delight" .. Maybe I am realizing that, while being a great tour .. I just outgrew the music.

Seeing the 2004 tour with Sam (even though Ed sucked) I felt in place. Brought my girlfriend and said the band sounded great .. knew more songs than just "Jump" . and Sam and Mike signed everything in sight!

Drive down the street and blast Atomic Punk out of your car .. outdated dude! Break out your leather and bandana

As I remember an interveiw with Ed saying something like .. "We are not going over the old songs .. we are moving forward. You dont live in the past"

Hmm...

That's kinda weird that you describe CVH as "outdated" and Van Hagar "up to date".

I've often described CVH as "timeless" and thought that Van Hagar sounded a little outdated at times.

Obviously it's up to the listener.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I will be civil.

Driving in any car with any Van Halen tune is going to get you some looks from any young kid. Sure listening to a CVH song may cojure up images of El Derado's, bandanna's and Jokers but the same can be said of a Van Hagar song. To me, I think of Body Glove T-shirts, rolled up jean shorts and hair spray.

In twenty years, people will be looking at today's artists and laughing how they dressed. Who cares?

Do you think that Robert Plant really wants "A Whole Lotta Love?" Probably not as much as he wanted at 30 but I sure in the hell would not pass up a ticket going to a Led Zeppeling show.

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

You And Your Blues
    Last Online

10.30.15 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

When this thing first started with Roth I was REALLY excited! Didnt give a shit about Wolf being there, it was just the idea of VH touring. Now that ive seen the vids and pix, I miss Sammy. Im 24 years old. I dont know if that means anything..
    To me, at this point in my life, a Roth fronted VH doesnt do anything for me. I feel neutral about the whole thing. Maybe it has to do with not really growing up when Roth was in.
    I know that the idea of new music is what is keeping me around. I guess im just sick of the "Best of VH". It's been done. This tour is, for sure, a tour for the older VH fans until their is new music....
    FULL TIME LURKER

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sounds to me like you just got old. Im not being a smartass, im just saying it sounds like you grew out of the party rock of classic Van Halen and are more comfortable with the matureness of Van Hagar?
    Last edited by VHwasCoolestWithDLR; 10.10.07 at 10:35 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A or I'm The One
    Last Online

07.12.15 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

I don't think I'll ever grow out of CVH. Least I hope not.

But then I still find Warner Brothers cartoons entertaining as hell, too.
    What once upon a time made Van Halen unique in the progression of metal and hard rock (besides Eddie’s prowess as a guitarist) was its sense of fun, its willingness to be not just over the top, but weird.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Don't let Max or Vinnie see this thread - could result in an artery popping or some dangerous heart rate variations!

I'm not sure of how mature "Up For Breakfast" or "Mas Tequila" are. Doesn't sound like 40 year old music to me. I think it's a lame try for another Sam and Dave debate. Pointless becoz apart from us fasn, to everyone else Sam and Dave write about the EXACT same thing: partying and having fun. They're not that different. One will ad "bopity bopity bop" at the end of a line while the other will say "hell yeah." But it's basically the same subject matter being talked about. One will wear gay leather pants while the other will wear gay red capri pants. Same difference.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

IMO "Balance" is the most modern-sounding VH album, production-wise and song -wise. To me anyway, it holds up very well with the Dave-era stuff. A lot of the "5150" and "OU812" stuff sounds dated, and even parts of "FUCK" do too. But who cares, I like listening to all of it, I don't worry if it sounds dated or not. A non-issue to me. But "Jump" and "I'll Wait" SCREAM 80's, as much as anything else VH has ever done.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Sammy is gone. He's not coming back anytime soon and definitely not after this tour. What a joke that would be. Tour with Roth kick major ass then fire him and put out a new cd with Sam. ...doubt it. DLR is the singer of Van Halen. It's not a VH and Roth tour. This is a Van Halen tour.

Good luck with the age appropriate music thing.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar5150 View Post
    Hey Guys!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 Thru 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.17.09 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I had to reply. I teach guitar for a living, so the kids I teach always bring me the dirt on the latest talk in school. My 15 year old student came in and told me that a bunch of kids were listening to VH music and talking about the tour. Last week at the dinner table, the owner of the music store where I teach was talking to his daughter, who told him "dad, you should carry Van Halen shirts at the store because "Everybody wants Some"...sorry couldn't help it...but seriously He's trying to get them in the store. She's 15 and wouldn't even know who VH was, unless her friends were talking about them. So, I say to you, if the music is good, people of all ages will check it out and buy the cds too.
    On average, I get about 2-3 requests to learn VH every week and 98% of my students are@ 16 or younger. The music is as timeless as Zep, ACDC, or Hendrix.

Favorite VH Album

VHI and F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One/Humans Being
    Last Online

03.28.12 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I'm not sure of how mature "Up For Breakfast" or "Mas Tequila" are. Doesn't sound like 40 year old music to me. I think it's a lame try for another Sam and Dave debate. Pointless becoz apart from us fasn, to everyone else Sam and Dave write about the EXACT same thing: partying and having fun. They're not that different. One will ad "bopity bopity bop" at the end of a line while the other will say "hell yeah." But it's basically the same subject matter being talked about. One will wear gay leather pants while the other will wear gay red capri pants. Same difference.
    Ha ha, well said!
    Don't regret the rules I broke
    when I die
    Bury me in smoke

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

F*ck that!! Seeing those guys up there on youtube have taken years off me again. Unchained cranked up to exploding point on the car cd player, headbanging, tapping the wheel, awesome timeless stuff. If MWM is anything to go by and they DO record new music, I cant see them slowing down. With Wolfie in the mix, there is bound to be a youthful fresh vibe added. Bring it on!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts