Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

11.13.14 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default The more I listen to...

Van Halen III, the more I like it. I think.

Well, except for the bizzare and terrible (IMO) HMSI.

I have to pretend that its Ed and Al with a "guest" band and that somehow makes it easier to listen to without judging it as a "real" VH album. If that makes sense LOL!

I think if III had just 2 more songs that were like FITH or WOWY it would have been a great album. I dont really care for Josephina and think they should have put TWILY in there instead. Also, they should have re-recorded that old VH tune "Big Trouble" and put that as the last song. Shit can HMSI and put in Eruption 2 and POW!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Oh, and they should have had Don Landee or Ted Templeman behind the wheel! Instead of that Post guy. Hill Street Blues dude LOL!

Here is my vision of VH III of songs in order:
    1.Neworld (NO Post piano-just Edward)
    2.Without You
    3.One I want
    4.I'm so glad (or some other old VH club cover)
    5.Dirty water dog
    6.Once
    7.Fire in the hole
    8.Thats why I love you
    9.Eruption 2
    9.Ballot or the bullet (no Primary)
    10.Big Trouble

And, of course, Ted Templeman calling the shots. And have Ted insist on Ed NOT using ANY wah wah pedal on ANY track!! GOD DAMN I HATE IT WHEN EDDIE USES THOSE!! We need more flanger ED!!

What do you guys/girls think?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought this could have been a great album, if it just sounded more like Ed's brown sound, and they didn't have gary trying to sing like Sammy.

Take a listen to 3 sides to every story album, or whatever the name of that Extreme album was, and picture Ed's sound from Balance, if 3 was mixed differently...boom
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

I'll never forget listening to the radio premier of III. (back when stations were cool and broadcast them). I still have the tape of that somewhere.

I was depressed listening to this thing, thinking when is the hit coming. It never did. The only song that sparked my interest was ONCE. I liked Without you, and thought Neworld was the only thing that flowed well.
    Fire in the Hole was good, but just to generic for Van Halen.
    One i wasnt, lyrically was just STUPID.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

part of the problem is the album just doesn't really flow... it's kind of disjointed sounding to me...

III Sides To Every Story was a great, very underrated album that should've had 3 or 4 killer hits (at least) - lots of harmonies and melodies on there along with the rock... listen to Seven Sundays...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    part of the problem is the album just doesn't really flow... it's kind of disjointed sounding to me...

III Sides To Every Story was a great, very underrated album that should've had 3 or 4 killer hits (at least) - lots of harmonies and melodies on there along with the rock... listen to Seven Sundays...
    It was kind of a clusterfuck--and those involved in making it said the same (I know one of the engineers). I don't care much for Gary's voice, but I was all behind the idea of a functioning VH that was moving forward. It was also excellent that we got to hear music from ALL eras of VH on tour. The III album had loads of potential in it, but the lack of production and quality mixes really made it fall flat. Moreover, why was Ed doing so much singing and playing drums? Michael Anthony was in the band and available to sing background vocals; Alex Van Halen was in the band and available to play drums. Use 'em! Still, I really dig some of Ed's playing, his tones ("Dirty Water Dog"), and songwriting ideas.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

09.26.09 @ 05:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love this CD as it was the reason they finally came to Australia and performed songs from dave\sammy\gary eras.

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

I listened to it recently from start to finish for the first time in about 5 years. I was laying on the couch and gave it a chance....
    I thought my opinion would've changed over the years. It did in a way.
    "Ballot or the bullet" is actually my fave track. "Fire in the hole" has a great intro, then falls flat and gets stuck in cement, till the great outro happens. "Josephina" is just arse paper!!! "How many say I" is 3 ply arse paper!!!
    The biggest joke about the album though is Mike Post, whats a TV theme man doing a hard rock record for?
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Why did I know this thread would be about III?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Apparently I'm the only person who actually likes Josephina.. yeah, I'll admit it.

Neworld
    Without You
    A year to the day

I can do without the rest of it, but I actually like the tunes above, as well as TWILY.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH III definately had a few good moments. Without You ... Dirty Water Dog.... Year To The Day... and possibly could have been a good album if it were put together better. Mike post was a cappy producer. Eddie's influence on production was too great. I can just hear Mike Post saying 'sounds great Eddie' rather than 'hey play that again, you can do better' or 'maybe we should rearrange that' or 'Gary you sang that flat.' or 'Eddie, we can't use How Many Say I we need to use That's Why I Love You.' Also the mix and master are piss poor .... Ballet or the Bullet sounds like it was recorded in a MCDonalds Bathroom. Gary Charone sings flat throughout the album. Is it just me or does it seem like he never feels confident about when to come into the 'Year To The Day' chorus???? The guitar solo in 'Once' is hands down Eddie's worst and most uninspired soloing. Also it's a terrible job of punching in bits and pieces to make the solo sound coherent. I think Eddie's depression over cancer and marital problems and substance abuse mixed with Gary's throat surgery and pressure to follow Dave and Sammy era albums mixed with a crappy producer resulted in the VH III failure. They tried hard and I thought the tour was great... but the album gets a C minus i my book. I remember hearing the album release party on the radio. I kept thinking it would get better. It did not. I then thought it would sound better on CD. It did not. I then thought it would grow on me. It has a little. The tour saved it for me...
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Funny thing is, VH 3 SHOULD have been a great album and great new era of the band. My first reaction when it was rumored that Cherone was the leading candidate was one of excitement. I remember telling friends I thought it was the perfect choice. I was a fan of Extreme and listened to Three Sides all the time....Peacemaker Die, Tragic Comic, Rest In Peace, etc.....I loved that shit. But somehow they just weren't able to make it work and it's really too bad.

But if it works for you then that's all that matters.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The more I listen to it the more I love it too but I thought the record was phenomenal from the get-go. I'm still dissapointed we didn't get the follow up because I felt that would have been one incredible album.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    The more I listen to it the more I love it too but I thought the record was phenomenal from the get-go. I'm still dissapointed we didn't get the follow up because I felt that would have been one incredible album.
    AGREED!!!

I was also disappointed that the VH fans didn't try to have more of an open mind to give Gary the chance. Gary has an AWESOME voice, not to mention his lyrical writing.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I would have been very curious to hear the follow up to III. They had two great producers working with them: Patrick Leonard (they finished two songs with him) and Danny Kortchmar, who was on the project when the split with Cherone happened. We've of course heard very little about that split; Cherone, when asked why he departed, once said: "You'll have to ask Eddie." He also said recently it was just getting dysfunctional. (Big surprise.) I wonder what the new stuff sounded like.

Going back to before III, I LOVED the way the two new BOV1 songs sounded (sans Dave's uninteresting lyrics and strained performances). I was gearing up for the VH III album to have the sonic and production quality of those two songs. So when it finally came out I recall being very taken aback.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

One of the songs on VHIII that would have rocked live IMO is Ballot or the Bullet. I heard VH play it during soundcheck when I saw them at the Virginia Beach Amphitheatre in Aug '98. I think some people overlook the fact that Without You is the only Mainstream Rock single to debut at #1 upon release.

The breakdown of Fire in the Hole absolutely rocks, it was kind of disapointing that the band didn't play that part of the song live.