Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 AM
    Liked 593 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Default *** REVIEWS for CLEVELAND 10-10 ***

Only show reviews in this thread. All other posts will be deleted.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Top of the World
    Last Online

09.25.13 @ 02:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kick Ass, first review! I've been a member of this board for a long time, and have seen VH many...MANY times. It's always good to be reminded of how FUN rock can be, and fun rock is epitomized in Van Halen.

Thoughts on tonight:

Eddie: Joyous as ever, and this time spot on musically. As others have noted, his playing is reminiscent of the 1998 and 1995 tours, where he nails his fills and solos, smiles and interacts w/ the crowd and, unlike 2004, doesn't have the pall of addiction hanging over him. He was alive, electric, and ON FIRE!!!!!

DLR: Happy Birthday! Dave is Dave, he has his own interpretation to each song, which is refreshing and fun (and uniquely Dave). His banter seemed a bit restrained, and I think as the tour progresses, more of his personality should come out. Nevertheless, since I have never seen the Ed and Dave show, this was a treat.

Wolfie: Solid and clear. I miss Mike Anthony, especially with the vocals. But being in music myself, and knowing how delicate chemistry is, I can understand how if Ed and Dave and Alex were not feeling Mike for all these years, they may have needed a fresh start. Ed clearly loves having his son on stage, and Wolfie doesn't suck.

Set List: Everything a classic VH fan has wanted to hear (sans Full Bug????) for the past 23 years. It's good to hear those tunes live and electric.

Cleveland: You FUCKING rock. Great crowd, sold out show, and very cool people. \nn/

Welcome back VH. Thanks for reminding the world what fun it is to be in a rock band and a fan of rock music.
    Last edited by JoJo; 10.10.07 at 08:40 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 4,795 Times in 2,447 Posts

Premium Member

WOW

The best show I have seen in my life. Never got a chance to see them with Dave but this was better than my previous best show at 5150. That is all I can compare it to. My two friends still liked 5150 better only for sentimental reasons since we were 17 years old at the time. Maybe when I download a boot, I will feel differently but Eddie sounded better than he has since maybe 1986. I have worn out that bootleg from the first show over the last week and the playing I heard tonight was as different from that as that boot from 2004. He was "On Fiire" so to speak.

Dave was incredible as well. His voice sounded closer to the recordings than the boots I have heard. Maybe it was because it was mixed in with all the instruments.

Eddie's tone was great and had more of the CVH sound than in years past.

Wolfgang was impressive considering he is 16 years old. Sure he does not move around like Mike but he is not a detriment to the band. I actually watched him more than I would have watched Mike because I was curious how he would do. I heard a few people leaving the show that were making comments about Mike not being missed.

Alex was rock solid.

Anyway some items about this show that caught my attention.

Regarding what is a sell out and so forth, there were about 5k more at this show than the one I saw in 2004. Only blocks of seats open were behind the stage.

It was Dave's birthday and Eddie decided to start off his solo with a bluesy rendition of Happy Birthday. Favorite part of the solo. After playing it, he said something like "Happy Birthday to my new brother"

Wolfgang played with his fingers for the first half of Little Dreamer.

The band seems to like each other. In 2004, I could see the band "acting" friendly towards each other. Did not seem like this tonight. At the end of the show, Eddie hugged Dave and then Alex hugged Dave. When they stood towards the crowd, instead of the usual "Bass Player, Singer, Alex, Eddie" positions, it was "Wolfgang, Eddie, Dave, Alex". First time I have ever seen a show live or on tape with Alex and Eddie seperated. There were countless times of Eddie and Dave interacting with each other.

Dave made a comment about "give it up for Wolfgang" and the crowd went nuts.

No "Do wops" in I'm the One and no motorcycle noises by Dave in EWS.

Only saw one banner and it was to wish Dave a Happy Birthday. Sorry no "Got Mike" shirts were seen but maybe they were out

The only negatives I really had with the show was the set list and Dave mounting the microphone while wearing a sailor hat. Like others have said before, Jump does not really work as an encore. I really think they should open with 1984 and go into Jump. End the night with a heavy song like maybe Unchained or HFT. I know it will never happen but I would love to remove ATBL, YRGM and Panama from the set list. Those songs have been played on about every tour since 1984. I know people like them but maybe put them towards the begining of the set. The last 3/4's of the set did have less energy.

Anyway sorry for the lengthy review but I have all these thoughts in my head and its hard for me to describe what I just witnessed.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

01.19.13 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default GREAT SHOW!

VH played about 23 songs, and added two solos.
    It was JUST PLAIN FREAKIN' AWESOME seeing Dave and Eddie sharing the same stage once again.
    Wolfie ain't too bad, either.
    Alex did his thing, as always, and as well as always.
    Can't wait for a VH 2008 Tour!
    GOT MY BACK AGAINST THE WRECKIN' MACHINE!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

02.09.09 @ 03:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All I can say is that the you tube videos do not do this show justice. I'm still blown away this morning. This was the best concert I have ever seen. No joke! Crowd was awesome, singing every word of every song. The band is getting tighter, because I've listened to every show up to this point and they sounded even better last night.

Highlights for me: Eddie rarely used the Wolfgangs, He played the frankie most of the show. He used a lot less wah wah which I was happy about.

The whole set list was freaking awesome. My favorites was little guitars, and Everybody wants some.

Thats all I can say. The only thing negative for me was the merchandise. Low quality. Needs to be fixed.
    "Remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

www.fcband.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

02.09.09 @ 03:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Cleveland Plain Dealer Review

Here's the review from the local cleveland paper.

John Soeder
    Plain Dealer Pop Music Critic

"I waited a long, long time for this present," David Lee Roth told a packed house during Van Halen's comeback show Wednesday night at The Q. It was his 52nd birthday, six dates into the swaggering lead vocalist's first tour in 23 years with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted group. The Van Halen brothers -- guitar hero Eddie and drummer Alex -- are in their 50s, too. Far be it from "Diamond Dave" to act his age, however.

When this incurable ham wasn't executing martial arts moves or slaying invisible dragons with his microphone stand, he shoved a fan's cell phone down his pants. Tossing it back, Roth quipped: "You're going to get a helluva picture!"

The rest of us got a helluva concert. The hard-rocking festivities roared to life with "You Really Got Me," followed by "I'm the One" and "Runnin' with the Devil."

Eddie's 16-year-old son, Wolfgang, handled bass-thumping duties. He replaced longtime band member Michael Anthony, dismissed because he fraternized with Roth's successor, Sammy Hagar. "And the Cradle Will Rock...," indeed.

Shy at first, Wolfgang loosened up as the evening went on. He capably provided backing vocals alongside his proud father, who kissed Wolfgang a few times. The kid was alright, despite the fact he wasn't even born the last time Van Halen 1.0 hit the road, back when Ronald Reagan was in the White House and parachute pants were the height of fashion.

Uncle Alex was no slouch, either. His driving backbeats were Hemi-powered.

Next to Roth, nobody appeared to have a better time than Eddie, who did a stint in rehab earlier this year for unspecified reasons. Looking fit and smiling often, the guitarist reaffirmed his status as one of the all-time greats, with a dazzling style all his own.

His 10-minute solo -- more of a soliloquy, really -- began with a few bars of "Happy Birthday" in honor of Roth, who hugged Eddie more than once. After years of bad feelings between these guys, this was a bona fide lovefest.

The set was stacked with crowd-pleasers such as "Dance the Night Away," "(Oh) Pretty Woman," "Unchained," "Hot for Teacher" and "Panama" -- in other words, "all the favorites you've been hearing tearing out of the back of a pickup truck at the Burger King drive-thru," as Roth put it recently. The band dusted off a few surprises, too, including "Atomic Punk" and "Romeo Delight."

Two hours after it began, the triumphant gig climaxed with "Jump," complete with canned synthesizer accompaniment. As confetti fell and a disco ball sent rays of light dancing around the venue, Roth mounted a giant inflatable microphone and rode it like a cowboy.

Clearly, you have to roll with the punches just to get surreal.
    "Remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

www.fcband.com

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was just such an awesome time from start to finish. Stopped by the Winking Lizard for cocktails before hand and had a blast chatting with people from all over coming in for the show. People were definitely pumped.

Got to the show and found our seats which were section 3 in front of Edward and 12th row. The blimps were buzzing around and there were huge smiles all around anticipating the start of the show. People chatting about waiting 20+ years to see this happen and then the house lights went down and a huge roar erupted when Edward struck the first cords to You Really Got Me.

Edward was simply a blast to watch all night. He was totally enjoying himself, his son, jamming with Dave and the crowd. His playing was exceptional and there were several songs that he gave a bit different interpretation too such as Jamie's Cryin' which had such a great groove to it and was my favorite of the night. This was the first song I ever heard from VH so it has extra special meaning for me.

Dave pleasantly surprised me. I've seen alot of boots that I thought he was a bit over the top to the point of being distracting from the songs. Last night he was the perfect balance of first rate showman and singer in that he did an incredible job singing. I give him huge props because you can tell he is working his tail off singing the songs, working the crowd and still being true to himself. I was impressed. And his little rant during Panama was very sexy and I'm not a gal that found him to be prior to hearing it. Lots of fun!!

As for Alex, as Edward said, he is the rock of the band. Just beats the heck out the drums and keeps going. I loved the jungle portion of his solo and it was fun to see Wolfgang join him to beat the skins for a few moments when Edward started his solo with Eruption.

Wolfgang did an awesome job as well and I believe he'll only continue to grow. His playing was solid as well as his singing and like the rest of the band, you could see the hard work that he put into being able to pull this off. Some have commented about not liking his "come on Dave, give me a break" line but I found it a bit endearing and I think he may be more like his father than we know in that I believe he tends to be a bit on the shy side. This may explain why he's not moving around a bunch but as he matures, it will come too.

The whole show was so much fun, I felt like I had run a marathon by the end from dancing, jumping, singing and my face hurt from smiling so much. Such a great time and is the perfect example of what a concert experience should be. Loved it. Have a ton of pictures which I will try to post later with an extra special shot of Edward in a straw cowboy hat that has to be my favorite. Hubba, hubba!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.07.08 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Deleted! Reviews only, bitches!

scotty5150
    Last edited by Scotty; 10.11.07 at 09:14 AM.

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See above.

scotty5150
    Last edited by Scotty; 10.11.07 at 09:14 AM.
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Last Online

08.18.15 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Cleveland!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Hagar
    "Where's Diamond... Is He around?".

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was a little worried that my impressions of the Greensboro show were clouded because I had gone with a bandmate and we drank quite a bit before, during, and after the show. Last night, I went with my wife, and I was stone cold sober.

They kicked ass.

There were a few little glitches. Some feedback during a couple of songs, and a less than stellar performance on Hot For Teacher. Everything else was really good.

It was DLR's birthday yesterday and he and the band seemed to be having a great time with the celebration. Dave talked about how he's had a lot of jobs, and this is the best one...and he's had a lot of birthdays, and this was the best one. He seems to genuinely be on cloud nine on this tour, and Ed, Alex, and Wolfgang seem to be right there with him. Ed even started his guitar solo by playing "Happy Birthday" to Dave, after which Dave came out from behind the drums and thanked him. Dave was a little more like the Dave of old on this show...a little more banter than the Greensboro show, but not too over the top, and it didn't detract from his performance at all.

Ed was on fire all night long. He played the Franky for a whole lot of the show. Also played the quilted Wolfgang he's been seen with, as well as a black carved top Wolfgang with the number 4 painted on the top. He also played a red, black and white, and a black and white Charvel EVH Art Series for several songs, and of course, the mini guitar and mini bass for Little Guitars, but I'd say the lion's share was played on Franky and the black Wolfgang.

Alex was great, and again pounded the shit out of the drums all night.

Wolfgang did a great job, but really didn't seem to get into it a few times. He rose to the occassion many times, but there were some songs where he seemed a little disinterested.

One of the funniest parts of the night was during Romeo Delight, during the breakdown, Wolfgang was doing a little funky bass line and Dave walked over to him and asked "Is that you making that sound?" Wolfgang eagerly shook his head yes, and Dave waited for a second and says "Well it sounds fuckin' great, keep it up."

Luckily, the guitar tech gave Ed the right guitar for Jump last night, and it sounded great. Really, the only botched song, IMO was Hot For Teacher, which it seemed that they had a little trouble with the timing on.

Overall though, a great, great show. I'm a little sad that it'll probably be the last time I get to see them on this tour.

I got my digital camera in and got lots of pics, but they are all a little fuzzy. Much better color than the disposable camera shots I took at the Greensboro show though.

Pics:

Last edited by Prages; 10.11.07 at 09:48 AM.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 05:28 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts

I've seen every concert since Diver Down. I also saw them 2 times in 04 (Hersey which sucked, and Pittsburgh (better not overwhelming). Made the easy two hour drive from Pittsburgh to Quickens Arena. First show in about 15 years that I wasn't front row in front of Ed, but $1000 plus was just too much to pay. The atmosphere was very upbeat and many fans seemed to be very eagar to see this concert. The crowd was all over 30 except if they brought their children. I definetely felt my age last night.

Our tickets were in 110 13 rows up and the side monitors were slightly blocking the view to Ed and I watched a decent amount of it from the large screen which really didn't show a very good quality picture.

5-10 minutes before the show and you could just feel the anticipation. Ed came out and started the show with his sunburst wolfie for the first 3 songs and then switched to his Frankenstein for at least 6 songs. I believe he played it more this show than the previous shows. He also played his black wolife with the number 4 on it, and he also played 2 stripped charvels that he's going to EBAY. He switched guitars about 12 times and I really like him playing different guitars. I hated when he played the amber music man and sunburst wolife in 04 for the entire show.

Eddie was the first on stage and he just ripped sounds and guitar licks. It really raised the hair on my arm. There's just no other feeling similar to it. They played a very high level and banged the songs out on after another. I'll put my most rememberable thoughts down here.

1. Dave and Ed really truely seem to be getting along very well and wasn't as forced as Eddie and Sam in 04. Eddie really really loved playing with his son and you can tell it's really inspiring him.

2. Ed's playing was spot on, he played the songs really close note for note and he really was on. His playing was at the highest level since OU812 in my opinion. His tone was so old school it was sick. Where I was sitting was a bad mix but his tone on the old songs was just wicked.

3. It was so good hearing the old songs that Van Hagar did play and butcher played correctly at last. It was like a cleansing of all the old bad karma.

4. Dave was not as active as I thought he would be, he was in great spirits but I thought he would be doing more high kicks and would be more high energy than he gave. I'm sure it's not easy being 52 and doing these shows,plus at the high speed they played at it must be hard to keep up. It looked like Wolfies not in the best of shape and seemed out of breath at times. He looks like he'd rather be sitting home playing video games than going out and playing basketball.

5. Wolfie has no stage presence at all. It was worst than what I thought the video clips showed. Dave and Eddie seemed to be coaching him all night and he just doesn't seem to have the presence. I'm sure being only 16 and never been in a band before must have a lot to do with it. To Wolfs credit I thought he did a great job on bass and singing. I was more impressed with Wolf's playing than his singing though. There were a few spots in the harmonies that mike is definetely missed (Hot for Teacher and Beautiful girls comes to mind quickly). Wolf tore it up on Romea Delight. The bass was really high in the mix, more than I ever since in a VH show. it was easy to pick out Wolf's playing.

6. Dave and Eddie didn't imprav during Every body wants some like they did in Philly. I thought they played it better on that clip.

7. There was a lot of feedback toward the end of the night and it was really effecting the start of Eddie's solo. He wanted to go nowhere near his speakers and you could tell he had his volume knob on the guitar about half way down. It started during Ice Cream man when Dave told the sound guy to crank up the vocals. The feedback was embarrassing and someone needs to be fired for that mess up.

8. I think my favorite song of the night was So this is love. I think they just ripped it and Ed was spot on during the solo.

9. The band still isn't as tight as they will end up being. They seemed to be out of sync a few times but it wasn't too noticable. Overall they really sounded unbelievable for the short time they've been playing. Eddie's playing is just on fire right now. I hope they do a DVD!!!!!

10. Roth to me put the show on a down note on Jump. He looked like the Capitan of the love boat with his sailor hat and Las Vegas acting getup. I think even the guys in the band were annoyed by the big microphone. Eddie looked like he was really annoyed by it and got it out of the way.

11. I didn't mind I'll wait as much as some of the posts on this board. I think Pretty Woman should go first before anything.

Overall I'm very hard to please and I'm just nitpicking. I'm very happy to see this band play and I'd see them again in a second. My favorite concert since 5150 (not just favorite VH show) and I'm been to at least 25 different shows since then. It was so good not to hear right now and dreams and why can't this be love and the fake love fest of 04. For 50 plus year old guys they really did outstanding. I just wish Dave would lose the Show Biz Vegas Sthick. No need for it when you have a ton of high energy, balls to the wall rock songs going.