Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Grandmother of drowned toddler commits suicide

NEWINGTON - A woman due in court today in connection with the drowning of her 2-year-old grandson was found dead by police at her home Monday.

The Newington grandmother who was caring for her two-year-old grandson in West Hartford when he apparently drowned in a bathtub committed suicide by hanging, an autopsy by the state's chief medical examiner showed.

Marcia Maglisco, 62, killed herself sometime before 12:30 p.m. Monday, when Newington police discovered her body at her Cherry Hill Drive home in Newington.

West Hartford police arrested Maglisco Friday night on a charge of risk of injury to a minor after she reported she had found her grandson Aiden Halter unresponsive in a bathtub that morning in his home on Foxridge Road in West Hartford. Police received the call about 9:45 a.m. Friday. Rescue workers took the boy to Connecticut Children's Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Police have said there was a "significant" delay in notifying emergency personnel.

Maglisco was taken to hospital Friday for evaluation because police were concerned about her mental state, West Hartford Police Chief James Strillacci said Monday.

The hospital did not keep her overnight Friday, but she was kept under police observation, Strillacci said. Maglisco was released Saturday on $250,000 bail and was scheduled to appear in Superior Court in Hartford today.

"We watched her very carefully until she made bail," Strillacci said.

Maglisco was Aiden's maternal grandmother. Her husband, Frank Maglisco, said in a phone interview Monday that his wife was dedicated to her grandchildren.

"She took care of these kids since the time they were born," Maglisco said. "Been with them their whole life. Her life was those kids.

"Why would I post a $250,000 bond if I didn't think she was innocent?" he said.

Maglisco said that police had harassed his wife during her time in the hospital and that "she was so upset with the trial."

"Somebody is going to pay for this - taking my wife's life," Maglisco said.

Strillacci said Marcia Maglisco had not been helpful to investigators and, at times, interfered with police and rescue workers at the scene Friday morning. He dismissed Frank Maglisco's criticisms of their handling of the investigation.

"I don't know what he's talking about," Strillacci said. He said the investigation into the child's death would continue.

Capt. Lori Coppinger, a West Hartford police spokeswoman, said in an interview Monday - before Marcia Maglisco was found dead - that police had been having difficulty getting answers from her about the drowning and that police expected the investigation to be lengthy.

Maglisco's longtime neighbor, Stuart McFadyen, 64, said Maglisco had at one time taught special education students in New Britain. McFadyen was home when Newington police cruisers and an ambulance arrived at Maglisco's home Monday afternoon.

"[Maglisco's daughter] came flying in and took her shoes off and ran in there," McFadyen said. "Must be rough losing a son and then losing a mother."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 3
    Favorite VH Song

How many say I
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i can't imagine what that mom must be going through.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Woman tells police: “Come and arrest me, I drowned my grandson”
    Oct 09, 2007 @ 03:32 PM

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. - A woman whose 2-year-old grandson drowned in a bathtub while she was baby-sitting last week told 911 dispatchers that she had killed him and was psychotic.

A transcript of Marcia Maglisco’s 911 call says she told a dispatcher that she needed police to come and arrest her. She later said she wanted police to shoot her if they could.

The 62-year-old Maglisco hanged herself three days later in her Newington home while awaiting a Tuesday court appearance. She had been charged with risk of injury to a minor in connection with the death of 2-year-old Aidan Blake Halter.

Maglisco told the dispatcher that the boy had slipped and hit his head in the tub about 10 minutes earlier, and that she just left him.

Police say the investigation remains open.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Sad story.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Best thing she could have done for herself was suicide. Crazy bitch!

Why did the daughter take her shoes off before running into the house. I know some people have 'rules' about shoes in the house, but that's a little ridiculous. I wonder if the investigators had to take theirs off as well.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.