Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Mother seeks girl's womb removal

Mother seeks girl's womb removal

LONDON, England -- A mother is seeking to have the womb of her severely disabled daughter removed to prevent the 15-year-old from feeling the pain and discomfort of menstruation.

Doctors in Britain are now taking legal advice to see if they are permitted to carry out the hysterectomy on Katie Thorpe, who suffers from cerebral palsy.

But a charity campaigning for the disabled said on Monday the move could infringe human rights and would set a "disturbing precedent."

Andy Rickell, executive director of disability charity Scope, told the Press Association: "It is very difficult to see how this kind of invasive surgery, which is not medically necessary and which will be very painful and traumatic, can be in Katie's best interests.

"This case raises fundamental ethical issues about the way our society treats disabled people and the respect we have for disabled people's human and reproductive rights.

"If this enforced sterilization is approved, it will have disturbing implications for young disabled girls across Britain."

Katie's mother Alison Thorpe, who lives in Billericay, southern England, said the operation was in her daughter's best interests.

"First of all, this is not about me. If it was about me, I would have given up caring for Katie a long, long while ago," she told GMTV.

"It is about quality of life and for Katie to not have the associated problems of menstruation adds to her quality of life. It means she can continue with the quality of life we can give her now.

"Katie wouldn't understand menstruation at all. She has no comprehension about what will be happening to her body. All she would feel is the discomfort, the stomach cramps and the headaches, the mood swings, the tears, and wonder what is going on."

Thorpe said an operation would be best for Katie, despite the initial pain it would cause.

She added: "The short-term pain and discomfort we can manage with painkillers. We will be able to manage that pain much better than menstruation once a month, when Katie cannot tell us 'I'm in pain.'"
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Oh this is a toughie. On one hand if the girl is challenged to the point she is unable to express she is in pain, then I agree but I can also see this precedent being abused. On this cases merit alone, I think the mum is right.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This is BS all the way. If you read what she said.

"If this was about me, I would have givin up caring for katie long ago."

What sane person would say that about her child? No matter what would happen (hopeful nothing bad) to my son. It would never change how I felt. Never!!

This is one less thing she needs to deal with and nothing more.

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dimoncutr View Post
    This is BS all the way. If you read what she said.

"If this was about me, I would have givin up caring for katie long ago."

What sane person would say that about her child? No matter what would happen (hopeful nothing bad) to my son. It would never change how I felt. Never!!

This is one less thing she needs to deal with and nothing more.
    You know, I read about this some time ago and I have to say this is the first thing that came to mind. Less trouble for the mother. I guess in a way I understand why she would want one less thing to deal with but I also understand if the child was not disabled where this would be horrendous. There are few people with non-challenged children who have no idea how hard it is to deal with day to day issues of a handicapped child. One of my best friends has a son with spina biffida not to mention so many other problems associated with it and she does it day in and day out. Pretty much by herself. The blessings we have all received from him are worth the struggle every day 365 days a year just to have him in our lives.

I certainly can't say that the mother doesn't wish there to be less hassle for her but I can say if this is something that she wants just to make her job easier she needs to know the ramifications this could have on her child a little more. Hormonal issues may be worse on her body than just inconvience on the mother's part. Disclaimer: I do not have a disabled child, I cannot imagine what she must be going through, I cannot make a call on this from her standpoint. Just my 2 cents that's all.

TST<--------no side on this one-------------

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

can't menstruation frequency be managed by medication? If so, wouldn't that be a much better option than surgery?
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    can't menstruation frequency be managed by medication? If so, wouldn't that be a much better option than surgery?
    You know, actually it can. There are all sorts of birth control that make menstruation almost non-existent. That might be an option but you are still jacking with her system in giving her this type medication. The fact that she is unable to communicate (apparently from the article) is a problem because of side effects too. I know from personal experience that sometimes you have to go through several types to fit with your particular system.It can wreak all sorts of havoc with your body. (Thank God I don't have to worry about it anymore)

TST<--------------yea me----------------