Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default **** Reviews 10.07 Toronto, ON ****

10.07 Toronto, ON Review thread.

If you did not attend the show and are not posting a review DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD!!!

***** I will state this once again for those of you that are slow - Unless you are posting a REVIEW or attended this show DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD!!!!! ******

It really is simple.
    Last edited by OLO; 10.07.07 at 07:45 PM.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

10.08.07 @ 03:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default decent show

A good show - just got back to the hotel. They followed the set list from Charlotte. My initial reaction was of happiness to see Dave back. However, it was painfully obvious that he was going through the motions of a "show" - complete with props (giant mic and a set of chains for unchained). There was no contact with the crowd - even the ring folks couldn't reach the stage. I couldn't help but think of the last tour and how interactive Mike and Sammy were with the crowd. I will say though, Wolfie did a great job and seemed to belong there. It was great to see the chemistry with him and Eddie. That's all for now as I'm on a cell phone after the show. Will post more later.
    "Reach for the golden ring..."

Favorite VH Song

EWS!!!!
    Last Online

05.14.09 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everybody Wants Some - can you not read??? OLO
    Last edited by OLO; 10.07.07 at 08:56 PM.
    The Rock says:
    "Lord....strike that poor boy down!"
    "Come on Dave, gimme a break!"
    "Big Double Take but You Keep on Walkin'!!"
    "Look at all these little kids, takin' care of the music biz...."

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

h*bunter - can you not read either??? OLO
    Last edited by OLO; 10.07.07 at 08:56 PM.
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I just got back from the show. The first thing that comes in my head is WOW WOW WOW WOW...

Great show. Tight sound, laughs, crowd participation and so on.

Same set list as other shows.

No details cause I know others will provide, just they were all on top tonight. I couldn't be happier to see Van Halen yet again...until next Friday. When I see them yet again.

10 out of 10 for me.
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

It looks like some of you cant read so I will post this in bold print.

***** I will state this once again for those of you that are slow - Unless you are posting a REVIEW or attended this show DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD!!!!! ******
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Default very good show

just got back from the show. i was there with 3 buds and seated in the 3rd row of the floors.

Setlist

- nothing different from the others shows

Crowd

- seemed really into the show. The could have easily has us sing the words to every song - God knows everyone was singing along.

Dave

- Dave was Dave for better or worse. Is he at times way too corny? Yup. But he did a pretty good job singing and really did a nice being the great showman that he is.

Ed
    - Ed for most of the night was pretty fantastic. He did a pretty amazing job on most of the material.

Wolfie

- Wolfie was great, I am now a believer. I see what Ed was saying. He effortlessly plays the material and just brings a real happiness to the stage. There weren't many times I missed Mike (and I was expecting to miss him)

Al

- Al is Al. He was his usual solid stuff

Thumbs Up
    - the firsrt hour of the show was just blistering rock and roll. Truly amazing stuff
    - the interaction between Ed and Wolfie was so much fun to watch. You could see how much fun they were having and that comes through in the performance.

Thumbs Down

- I'll Wait didn't sound right (Mike's vocals were missed here) and Little Dreamer seemed out of place
    - The Solos should be thrown out - Al's was fine and Ed's wasn't

Overall I thought this was a really good show, I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

van halen I / fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 10:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just got back from the show....

got to see wolfie outside the arena by the buses when we arrived (around 6)

the opening act was pretty decent, and it was good that van halen gave him decent sound and lighting to work with....

as for Van Halen....

i am someone who went into the show with a set image if them from seeing them 23 years ago on the 1984 tour - having said that, to me this IS something new.... i found the band to be, whats the zeppelin phrase, "tight but loose".... very tight and good arrangements of the songs; the set list is performed at a non-stop pace at high energy and until you see them live you cant appreciate the effort they are ALL putting in....

Alex - its true what people are saying.... the guy bashes the crap out of the drums for pretty much 2 straight hours and bashes them very well!

Wolf - really everyone give the kid a frigging break.... he more than held his own tonight, and 6 gigs into his career he is doing just fine, and looks to be opening up a bit more....when you watch his playing he is no hack, he does have the chops, and the interaction between him and ed is great to see!

Dave - he is finding himself in the 'new' van halen.... his singing is light years better than ever before, but he is a work in progress trying to get a solid image projected.... one of you buggers wrote that your wife thought he looked like a gay cruise director and i couldnt get that image out of my head my the end - thanks for that - but when he chills out a la ice cream man and such its great to see a bit of 'old' dave.... and the interplay between him and ed was an absolute joy to watch.... they really seem to be hitting a stride together

Ed - WOW this was the surprise of the evening for me....yes his playing is great, but what blew me away was his infectous attitude.... he literally jumped on stage beaming and stayed that way for 2 hours.... he looks SO happy up there and it really does translate well to the audience.... as well, he and rith seem to be going a little zeppelin in a few of the songs with vocal / guitar duels and they are also great to watch....

stage show - great minimalist lighting / stage but it works well

Sound - pretty good considering it was at the a.c.c. which has to be the worst venue in the world.... the place literally could suck the excitement out of an orgasm if it had the chance....

so while the crowd looked like it was going nuts, sometimes even the crowd seemed muffled and for a CVH show, for it to work, the crowd MUST become the 5th member....

my take was that the place looked packed, and that everyone had a great time....

i am trying to get thoughts down literally as i get in the door and am ordering a pizza.... so i apologize if this seems a bit riffy (my writing) but figured everyone would want to read SOMETHING tonight....

i will try to get more thoughts down later....

g.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.07.07 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great show

Just got back from seeing the show at the ACC.
    It was great. Everyone was in fine form, and the crowd was into it.
    I didn't know what to expect at first, but any doubts were put to rest right away.
    I like Mike as much as anyone here, but Wolfie did a fine job. I thought Dave did a great job - his singing was good. Al as always was great behind the kit, and Ed was in fine form. By the way, did he hurt his finger on his left hand during his solo or was I seeing things? It seemed like he cut his finger or something happened with his nail - I don't know. Seemed like his solo was a bit short.

Anyway, VH fans will not be disappointed.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dig it View Post
    Just got back from seeing the show at the ACC.
    It was great. Everyone was in fine form, and the crowd was into it.
    I didn't know what to expect at first, but any doubts were put to rest right away.
    I like Mike as much as anyone here, but Wolfie did a fine job. I thought Dave did a great job - his singing was good. Al as always was great behind the kit, and Ed was in fine form. By the way, did he hurt his finger on his left hand during his solo or was I seeing things? It seemed like he cut his finger or something happened with his nail - I don't know. Seemed like his solo was a bit short.

Anyway, VH fans will not be disappointed.
    he did cut his finger. I beleive he cut it earlier in the set and hurt it again during the solo.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was a great time. Ed's playing isn't 100%. His rhythm playing was great and they sounded tight (not '95 tight, but tight), but some weaknesses in certain parts of his technique show through at moments, especially during his solo. It's not alcohol, but age and whatever else he has gone through in the last 10 years. He is better than when I saw him in 2004, probably because he is sober and has been practicing (and I saw them on a good night in 2004, the first night in NJ). His solo seemed a bit mechanical, like he was going through motions. Other than that, Ed appears focused and I hope we get to hear some new music from the band.

Wolfgang did a great job. His bass playing is great. It's unclear to me whether or not his voice is naturally high or if puberty still hasn't fully set in. I think he'll turn out to be very talented.

Dave was great all around. He was Dave. Alex was Alex. They all seemed to be having a great time on stage. Dave can fake it, but I think it would have been obvious is Ed wasn't being sincere, and I never got that impression. A lot of the show was obviously scripted and rehearsed, but from what I could tell, they were still genuinely having fun.

Overall it was a great show. I had nose-bleed seats but it was still a night I'll always remember. I think I'll pick up floor seats for the Friday show and bring ear plugs so I can better analyze their performance. It was very loud, and by then end you can't really hear a lot of what's going on musically. I look forward to hearing a bootleg from tonight to see how my perception and memory of what it sounded like compares to what it actually sounded like.
    Last edited by FatStrat85; 10.07.07 at 09:55 PM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.07.07 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That would make sense that he hurt his finger. Ed was spot on tonight, but then his solo was a bit reserved and short. It seemed like he bailed out of his solo early.

Then again I'm judging the show harshly as DLR requested. Overall it was great. I'm really impressed with Wolfgang, with the set list, with Dave, with Ed and Al as always...I'd see them again FOR SURE if there is another tour or if come back to Toronto next year.

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

wow. wow. wow.

Just incredible is the way to describe this. The band was ON FIRE. Eddie played AMAZING. Weakness in his solo? haha fool you are drunk. Yes he cut his finger while playing, that shows how hard the man is working right now.

Ed was loose, playing awesome, improvising a ton, using the old school phase 90 sound a lot, he didn't rely on the wah that much tonight. The solos sounded great! I'd say the man is back to the playing he is known for. For people who miss his 95 sound that a lot have been comparing too, well for one he isn't relying on the super compressed delay/chorus sound to "clean" the sound, the man is raw and hard to the bone damnit! Don't like it, then don't listen to the band or see them. Positive thinking people.
    Alex was great looked like he was right into it having a great time and playing LOUD. Short drum solo, but it was fucking tight. Dave was great! Sung every lyric, didn't forget any words and hit most of the notes. He was a class act and true to form and told that funny story about smoking grass. Glad to see those songs played live that was a treat. I cannot believe all the negativity surrounding this band, freakin deal with it. Cuz guess what! It's your only chance to see them play these songs again, and for the first time in years! What the hell are some people's problem? Unreal be freakin grateful they are touring and playing again and pulling these songs out!
    Wolfie played good, and sung good, but fuck man he stood there like a damn pine tree the whole time. Obviously he's only into his 6th show, but he knows the parts to the songs well he wasn't focused on the fretboard the whole show, at least he could move around a little bit and also that part in Unchained is definetly lame. Dave is brown nosing it. I mean that Unchained bit makes Wolfie look so dorky standing beside Dave. Dave in 1981 would probably kick someones ass if they did that. But he was good, more experience on the stage will turn him into someone with energy. It did not take away from the show. Obviously Mikey was missed, but it was still Van Halen and didn't seem as weird as I had thought it would be. He has an alright bass sound, but not as rugged as it should be for their music.

They are NOT using backing tapes for vocals. You can clearly hear that they are not, I have no idea where these lame comments are coming from. The only thing that is happening is there is reverb on the vocals like the classic studio stuff and maybe some compression for the pitches but thats about it. Not using tapes at all, that is just bullshit comments bashing the band.

GO SEE THEM DAMNIT its worth every cent. Rob kids of money to see them!
    Last edited by RevolutionMan; 10.07.07 at 10:50 PM.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I was at the show. It was an awesome concert! Alex was at his best, I loved his drum solo, and it was amazing to see him play Hot For Teacher live! Eddie played great, but his solo wasn't one of his best. Still good though. Wolfie played well, his harmonies are much better than I expected too. Dave was good, he is probably better now with VH than he was in the 80's, since he doesn't forget lyrics much now, like he did then.

Hightlights from the show for me were I'm The One, Little Guitars, Hot For Teacher, Mean Street, Panama, I'll Wait.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Just got back! Met up with JetGuy, EVH_316_5150, Cabo Brent, and badkaraoke at Jack Astor's since Hard Rock Cafe is gone. I'll keep the review short for now...

Pros:
    - Eddie is HAPPY! He really has a ball up there with Wolfie and Dave. Jumpin' around, goofing off and speaking enthusiastically, coherently, and positively about everyone. I enjoyed seeing Eddie play off his son. It was touching, and you could tell they have a great relationship.
    - Eddie's playing. He was definitely more loose than the first couple shows, but still played tight when he had to. A strong improvement over '04, but I'd say he's still a tad under the accuracy and precision he played with in '98. The solo was a little short and rough likely because he cut his finger, so I can't hold that against him. He made a funny face when he started the end tapping for "Eruption" at the wrong fret, but he smoothed it out real quick and laughed it off.
    - Alex. The guy is a machine. His new drum solo is actually refreshing, and I hate drum solos!
    - Dave remembered the words and sang the best he could. He hit a rough spot vocally during "Atomic Punk," but bounced back after "I'll Wait" and sang near-perfect the last third of the show.
    - The songs! "Little Guitars" and "Hot for Teacher" really stood out.

Cons:
    - Mike absence. Ya know, I thought it wouldn't seem too noticeable that Mike was gone, but Wolfgang really doesn't provide any stage presence whatsoever. It's a shame because his playing is spot on, but it seems like he doesn't want to be there or knows he shouldn't. Sure, he's having fun, but he is aware that he's out of place and I'm sure he's doing it just to spend time with his dad and inspire him. He's a great kid, and I would love to see him do his own thing. And he sounds so timid and unconvincing during the "give me a break" line. It just felt awkward. But props to his playing and backing vocals. I really think he's the reason Eddie is alive and playing for us, so I appreciate him doing this for us and his father.
    - Dave's moves or lack-there-of. It's a shame that he is pretty much stuck to the ground the whole show. That and he really doesn't move much at all. It's just a dramatic change from '99 when I last saw him. I know he's concentrating on his vocals and he's older, but I'm not expecting acrobatics. He just seems very slow and doesn't really provide much to look at other than when he's doing a funny face or showing off his abs. It's funny that he doesn't even jump a few inches during "Jump" yet he'll do a few low spinning kicks during the show.
    - Eddie's cord! Dude, get rid of the cord! He was getting tangled up from it throughout the show and it affected his playing, because he'd try to move it in the middle of a song.

Okay, not as short as I wanted, but I'll try and post more later. Overall, I had a great time and would definitely go again if I had the $. Don't go in expecting the same band as '84, because there are significant changes, but these guy showed they can still bring it and sound nearly as good as they did in their hey-day. Well, at least the three of them did. Wolf captured some of that energy in his playing, but needs to grow as a performer. But Dave and Eddie were the reason most people went, and they didn't disappoint.