Register
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

Default Cops dive for cover as Bic lighter explodes!!

ROSEMEAD, Calif. - Sheriff's deputies who mistook an exploding cigarette lighter for gunfire dived to the ground and called in reinforcements, shutting down a neighborhood for hours.

"We have a lot of unusual things happen in our business, and we expected the unexpected. It's better to be safe than sorry," Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Robert Craton said.

The lighter belonged to one of two people stopped midday Wednesday for loitering and drinking alcohol in Zapopan Park. During questioning, "a lighter was placed on the hood of a radio car," sheriff's Capt. Richard Shaw said.

"The Bic lighter exploded, and shrapnel went everywhere," Shaw said. "Two deputies and the suspects went down to the ground. They all believed they were being fired on."

Reinforcements were called in and the neighborhood was locked down for two hours. Deputies clutching shotguns and pistols leaned on squad cars and a command post went up at a nearby Wal-Mart Supercenter parking lot.

Paramedics and dozens of deputies were on hand as helicopters buzzed the area. Two hours later, a special enforcement officer discovered the culprit _ the Bic lighter.
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I doubt it was a Bic. They are quite dependable and have no potential for spontaneous combustion. More than likely, it was one of those leaking pieces of garbage they give away at the Indian Reservation. These things are so crappily made, I usually throw them away rather than hanging on to them.

And precisely how freakin' hot was the hood of that police car? Shouldn't the car have exploded, as well?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I doubt it was a Bic. They are quite dependable and have no potential for spontaneous combustion. More than likely, it was one of those leaking pieces of garbage they give away at the Indian Reservation. These things are so crappily made, I usually throw them away rather than hanging on to them.

And precisely how freakin' hot was the hood of that police car? Shouldn't the car have exploded, as well?

The butane in the lighter is under pressure. I'm guessing it just exploded from the pressure increase due to being on the hood of the car probably in direct sunlight on a hot day. You know, the gas expands faster than the plastic lighter so it wasn't like TNT combustion explosion. More like half-dud cheap firecracker explosion. I've heard 'em pop before but nothing I'd call "shut down a city block & call a swat team" pop.

Ted
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    Deputies clutching shotguns and pistols leaned on squad cars and a command post went up at a nearby Wal-Mart Supercenter parking lot.
    HAAAhahahahaha......

"The governor was informed and was reportedly kept abreast of developments as they unfolded, but sources say at one point, he screamed 'Motherf%$kers!!! Kill 'em all!!!', while wearing a propeller beanie hat, a pair of General Montgomery knickers and a Kid n' Play t-shirt."