Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Wii won't meet holiday demand

Great marketing... Start the "Keep Up With The Joneses Shopping Frenzy"...

Reggie: Wii won't meet holiday demand
    Nintendo of America exec says supply constraints of console will continue until after the holiday season.

Unbeaten in the console sales charts since April in the US, Nintendo's Wii has consistently outsold its competitors by healthy margins. However, far from reaching its saturation point, the Mario Factory has yet to meet demand for its console. According to Nintendo of America president and CEO Reggie Fils-Aime, that situation isn't going to change as the already-booming gaming industry heads into its busiest time of the year.

In an interview with the San Jose Mercury News, Fils-Aime unabashedly admitted that Nintendo isn't meeting the demand for its console. "We have been sold out worldwide since we launched," he boasted. "Every time we put more into the marketplace, we sell more, which says that we are not even close to understanding where the threshold is between supply and demand...Our inventory is lasting a day."

Not mincing words, the outspoken exec said that a lot of children will be left wanting this holiday season. "We're working very hard to make sure that consumers are satisfied this holiday, but I can't guarantee that we're going to meet demand," he said. "As a matter of fact, I can tell you on the record we won't."

As for why, Fils-Aime noted that it is a game of economics that it is hampering supply, not the console maker's ability to produce. "The issue is we went in with a curve that was aggressive, but the demand has been substantially more than that. And the ability to ramp up production and to sustain it is not a switch that you flick on," he explained.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

The Wii Sucks! I have one and it was cool for about a Mo. or two, but all of the games have to be designed arount the same controls! Not every game that comes out can use those controls, and the only games that are any good are the ones made by Nintendo!
    I play my 360 almost every day, and I think the big N knows that sales are starting to drop off a bit, and are looking to do what they did last holiday season, when people just got one because they were hard to get, and ended up tradeing them in!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

10.24.13 @ 07:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Um, It seems that the Wii sales are actually doing the opposite of slipping, In fact it looks like last month was one of their best months ever:
    http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/09...leader-august/

Say what you want about the Wii, but its the number one system so far, and Metroid 3 was awesome, and with games like Super Smash Brothers, No More Heroes, and Mario Galaxy, its not goin anywhere. 1 year later, and no sales slippage.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't own one but tried it out from someone who does and wasn't entirely impressed... sales are doing well because it's the cheapest option of the 3 main consoles out there...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

The Wii is awesome ... I bought one in February of this year and have been playing it non stop since. I got my mom to play Wii Sports with me, and she hasn't played video games since the NES days.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:21 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    i don't own one but tried it out from someone who does and wasn't entirely impressed... sales are doing well because it's the cheapest option of the 3 main consoles out there...
    yeah but thats how much consoles SHOULD cost and always did before. and in fact it's the most expensive console I've ever bought having previous had every previous Nintendo console at $200 a piece. Metroid Prime 3 was great....Twilight Princess was great.....as far as traditional games go. And they've had some highly successful "party" games or whatever you wish to call it. Over the next several months there are plenty of great games (or potentially great games) coming out...among them... Guitar Hero III, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Brothers in Arms, The Simpsons game, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Zach and Wiki, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games, No More Heroes, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart Wii....it'll be getting a lot of playtime for me that's for sure.

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RcoasterA View Post
    Um, It seems that the Wii sales are actually doing the opposite of slipping, In fact it looks like last month was one of their best months ever:
    http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/09...leader-august/

Say what you want about the Wii, but its the number one system so far, and Metroid 3 was awesome, and with games like Super Smash Brothers, No More Heroes, and Mario Galaxy, its not goin anywhere. 1 year later, and no sales slippage.
    Again! You just listed Nintendo games! Nintendo's game cube did just that!
    All the Wii is is a Game Cube in a smaller case, different controler, O.S., and a slightly better graphics processer! Thats it!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Who cares what it is or isn't? If people have fun with it, more power to them. I'm glad there are plenty of different video game systems out there. I like my 360, but it really does need more party games. It's great to play games with people on Live!, but I have a lot more fun playing with real people in my own home.

Along those lines, not every game should be a shooter. Plenty of my friends only play video games when they come over, and it'd be nice to have some things that they enjoy a bit more.

Maybe I should get a Wii...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Irritates me the number of shooting games out there. Doubly irritates me how popular they are. Be nice to see some quiz games like "Jeopardy" or "Wheel" or "Millionaire" or stuff like that. And more educational games for the young kids - be easier for people that don't have a computer (although I don't know if those families exist anymore, 'cause I know the school my kids go to seems to assume that all families have a computer that they want their kids on).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

I don't own a Wii, but it seems that it is doing exactly what Nintendo set out for it, very well. It's not something I would spend money on, but it's capturing it's intended market very well it seems. Good for em.

And if it gets a few people that wouldnt normally consider a gaming system interested, then thats good for the whole market.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Goo View Post
    And if it gets a few people that wouldnt normally consider a gaming system interested, then thats good for the whole market.
    Nintendo seems to be doing a really good job of that. Their Brain Age games have gotten their DS into a lot of hands that would never otherwise hold a video game system.

Between the Wii and DS, Nintendo sure does seem to be doing a lot of innovating. My 360 is a great system, but it's just a refined Xbox. In five or six years, I think both MS and Sony will be benefitting from Nintendo's willingness to change how people view video games.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I have a Wii, enjoy Zelda and Sports alot, only 2 games I've got. None have come out that impress me, but I do have Mario Galaxy on order. I think after it comes out, there will be another surge in demand for the Wii.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Of course they will keep supply down. That way they can keep the price high for a lot longer.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If they can't meet demand, they've underpriced it. A shortage does nothing but take money out of Nintendo's hands. Every buyer who would have bought one if the store had them in stock is a potential lost sale. $249 is an impulse purchase for a lot of people.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

I bought a Wii 3 months ago, and have played it about 4 or 5 times. Madden is cool at first, but once the novelty wears off, it's really just a PS2 (graphics-wise) with different controls...

Even my wife was way into the sports games for a few weeks, and now the thing just collects dust on top of the DVD player...

Biggest waste of $250 I ever spent in my opinion... I've gone back to my PS2 until the other's can come down in price...

Not dissing the Wii, I just don't get what the big deal is... The control system actually gets irritating after awhile.

Impulse purchase is dead-on. The things were so hard to find, when I finally saw one I said "screw it" and bought into the hype... They got me... Lesson learned.

I'll probably end up giving it to my nephew...
    Last edited by EJC; 10.08.07 at 07:17 AM.