Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

04.27.08 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Anticipation falling....Expectations Rising?

Reading the reviews I am noticing a slight trend. Although 99% of the reviews are positive, I am seeing a few negative comments as the tour rolls on. The 1st show reviews were all positive, but with the Mohgan Sun reviews I see some people picking a little. Grumblings about the setlist, encore, and Dave and the giant microphone bit. Is the honeymoon over? Does VH really need to start mixing it up a little with the setlist? Does Dave need to be a little more spontanous? Does Jump need to be replaced w/ another encore? Does Dave need to lose the giant microphone bit? (YES!). How would you improve the show? I've heard the boots and seen the vids and I really have no complaints at all, but I sense a desire for a little looser show. Kudos to the boys for a top-notch tour, but do we have room to complain? Are we getting greedy? Thoughts?
    Ya lollygag around around the infield, ya lollygag down to 1st, ya lollygag in and out of the dugout...ya know what that makes you?...LARRRY!!?......... .LOLLYGAGGERS!! lollygagers... -Bull Durham

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Nah...just human nature. This has been a looong time coming. I'm sure the show will naturally loosen up a bit as it rolls on. Who knows, if they have people reading these and other forums etc... they might get some ideas. I mean there's some pretty instantaneous feedback (good and bad) right here. IMO
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.03.07 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Thrill is Gone!!! Woe is us...

It's hilarious how much time and energy I spent over the years scrounging for VH concert bootlegs (to this day Montreal is still the only decent boot I can find from the 84 tour).

Even more stunning: after only 5 shows, someone could conceivably assemble an entire 2007 concert from just the YouTube footage!!!!

Welcome to 2007. These big reunions tours (Police, Genesis, VH, etc) have lost their luster because there are NO SURPRISES ANYMORE.

Back in the day, you were lucky to get MONTHLY tour updates via Circus Magazine or Hit Parader. When you finally saw the show for yourself, EVERYTHING WAS A BIG SURPRISE. Nowadays you know the stage, lighting, setlist, encores, props, merch and what band members wear ahead of time.

Hell, even the stage banter (that I used to believe was spontaneous) is well known and repeated nightly. To a large degree, the information age has ripped away the wizard's curtain. We are definitely worse for it...
    Last edited by DiscoDancer; 10.06.07 at 11:48 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

One can choose to NOT listen/read/watch tour info if he/she wants to be in for a surprise.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDancer View Post
    It's hilarious how much time and energy I spent over the years scrounging for VH concert bootlegs (to this day Montreal is still the only decent boot I can find from the 84 tour).

Even more stunning: after only 5 shows, someone could conceivably assemble an entire 2007 concert from just the YouTube footage!!!!

Welcome to 2007. These big reunions tours (Police, Genesis, VH, etc) have lost their luster because there are NO SURPRISES ANYMORE.

Back in the day, you were lucky to get MONTHLY tour updates via Circus Magazine or Hit Parader. When you finally saw the show for yourself, EVERYTHING WAS A BIG SURPRISE. Nowadays you know the stage, lighting, setlist, encores, props, merch and what band members wear ahead of time.

Hell, even the stage banter (that I used to believe was spontaneous) is well known and repeated nightly. To a large degree, the information age has ripped away the wizard's curtain. We are definitely worse for it...
    EXCELLENT POINT!!!! Have never really considered that perspective. Nowdays, we are all asking for boots and vids of a show 10mins after it's over and disappointed if it's not available. I remember going to shows way back when, when you only heard tidbits of info on the shows and going in you only had a slight idea of what you would see and most of the time that info was bogus and the whole show was a surprise. But, these days fans want to asemble all the info they can before shows and thus the letdown. This probably explains the occasional nit picks, though very very few, of this tour.
    Ya lollygag around around the infield, ya lollygag down to 1st, ya lollygag in and out of the dugout...ya know what that makes you?...LARRRY!!?......... .LOLLYGAGGERS!! lollygagers... -Bull Durham

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    One can choose to NOT listen/read/watch tour info if he/she wants to be in for a surprise.
    One can choose not to do all that, but one probably has an etcha sketch and a rotary dial phone instead of a computer.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beaver, have you been downloading VH concerts again before you and Wally go to the show?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

VH has worked really hard and I beleive delivered on giving us a great and memorable experience. The amount of positive reviews not only from the Links but from every magazine and newspaper is just astounding. We are REALLY lucky they did this tour as well as they have.

Things could always be better, but I think we should consider how bad the outlook for VH was just a year ago.

Beisdes the performance aspect, it looks like Eddie is actually healthy, happy and creative whereas in 2006 I thought he could go the way of Hendrix at any time.

If they never play again, I think we got our closure, but if they feel as good as they look, then I see them keeping the ball rolling. There's a lot of money and fun for them if they can maintain.

I do agree that the access we get from the web does take away some of the surprise, but in person the thrill is still there.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    VH has worked really hard and I beleive delivered on giving us a great and memorable experience. The amount of positive reviews not only from the Links but from every magazine and newspaper is just astounding. We are REALLY lucky they did this tour as well as they have.

Things could always be better, but I think we should consider how bad the outlook for VH was just a year ago.

Beisdes the performance aspect, it looks like Eddie is actually healthy, happy and creative whereas in 2006 I thought he could go the way of Hendrix at any time.

If they never play again, I think we got our closure, but if they feel as good as they look, then I see them keeping the ball rolling. There's a lot of money and fun for them if they can maintain.

I do agree that the access we get from the web does take away some of the surprise, but in person the thrill is still there.
    I don't agree totally that this tour alone is like total closure but besides that I agree 100%. Great post I mirror your thoughts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BOSOXRULE View Post
    Reading the reviews I am noticing a slight trend. Although 99% of the reviews are positive, I am seeing a few negative comments as the tour rolls on. The 1st show reviews were all positive, but with the Mohgan Sun reviews I see some people picking a little. Grumblings about the setlist, encore, and Dave and the giant microphone bit. Is the honeymoon over? Does VH really need to start mixing it up a little with the setlist? Does Dave need to be a little more spontanous? Does Jump need to be replaced w/ another encore? Does Dave need to lose the giant microphone bit? (YES!). How would you improve the show? I've heard the boots and seen the vids and I really have no complaints at all, but I sense a desire for a little looser show. Kudos to the boys for a top-notch tour, but do we have room to complain? Are we getting greedy? Thoughts?
    They really don't need to change anything. The people here are like 2% of the audience. The masses WON'T see more than one show, and they won't study the setlists, listen to the boots, and watch the vids so they know the show backwards and front before they even show up to the arena.

If you saw a show in 1984, it was likely the same thing. You think that leg kick over MA was an off the cuff thing?! I'm sure dave did it every night, at the exact same moment during the exact same song.

People really only have themselves to blame for this stuff. VH doesn't need to mix it up "because of the internet," they need to stop ruining their enjoyment of the show by learning it back and front before they go, and they need to be more realistic about who the band's audience really is.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazy levi View Post
    You think that leg kick over MA was an off the cuff thing?! I'm sure dave did it every night, at the exact same moment during the exact same song.
    Son of a bitch...that's it I'm not going.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDancer View Post
    You obviously haven't looked very hard, there are TONS of shows way better than Montreal in 1984. Strange comment.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

The internet has been the saviour for me in the past. Being outside the US meant there was barely any news. Blessed are those that haven't seen yet still believe! - which is why the overseas fans really do DESERVE this band to bring their show to them.

The more I see on youtube, the more hyped I am to see this for myself! I dont care about the nit-picking. I'm grateful for the chance to even see them.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

I have to agree that having some much information available that things aren't that much of a surprise. I do have to say that even though I saw some of the short vids from the previous shows, I was still thrilled beyond belief when I was in the Mohegan Sun arena and got to witness it first hand myself.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You obviously haven't looked very hard, there are TONS of shows way better than Montreal in 1984. Strange comment.
    That's not a strange comment. So this dude has searched and the Montreal show is the best he's found. Instead of calling his comment strange and pointing out there are better out there why don't you say "hey, man, there's a better boot of that tour look for the [fill in the blank] show it's a lot better"

as for this tour/anticipation etc I totally agree with others in that Hey in this day and age of the internet and having access to so much info it's impossible to be fully surprised unless you do like a few others here have done and purposely ignore it. But again we're talking about Van Halen here who have for the most part had a very set/rehearsed stage show always. Like someone else said, if Dave does some sort of Leg Kick at a specific point in a song you can bet he does it that way every night. That's not a knock on him either, cause he approaches this stuff more theatrically like an actor where he wants to know exactly what he's doing each moment. the only option for "improv" is if maybe somebody throws something on stage he decides to wear or whatever (and even in the past there's been rumors even those things are set up ahead of time).

Just enjoy the show if ya go.... don't expect anything to change.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm