Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default 2007/2008 NBA Season

Yes folks its that time now when the off-season is over as teams are now playing their exhibition games. Whats in store this NBA season?
    Do the Mavericks bounce back? Is it finally going to be the Suns year? Will someone emerge in LA for Kobe to pass the ball to? Will the new Celtics be the team to beat in the east? Or is it still Detroit's conference, (sorry Cleveland)? Does a healthier and more in shape Shaq have one more title chase in him with Wade? Will Isiah Thomas finally get fired in NY?
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

The Bulls win it all.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 6,684 Times in 3,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Yes folks its that time now when the off-season is over as teams are now playing their exhibition games. Whats in store this NBA season?
    Do the Mavericks bounce back? Is it finally going to be the Suns year? Will someone emerge in LA for Kobe to pass the ball to? Will the new Celtics be the team to beat in the east? Or is it still Detroit's conference, (sorry Cleveland)? Does a healthier and more in shape Shaq have one more title chase in him with Wade? Will Isiah Thomas finally get fired in NY?
    a pretty good year
    i think so, they won't choke in the first round again
    don't think so
    doubt it
    nope
    maybe
    probably not
    probably not

Watching the Raps/Celts game today was quite interesting. Looks like KG isn't gonna have too much trouble blending in to the Celts. Also looks like the Raps will be a force for some time. Andrea keeps getting better, they have the best 1-2 punch at PG in basketball, they got a stud PF, and they seem to have 6 or 7 guys who can kill you with the jumper. Colangelo has done an astonishing job rebuilding that team.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 3,113 Times in 1,824 Posts

Premium Member

Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water...

Well, it looks as if Jerry Buss is bracing LA fans to possibly see Kobe traded as soon as during this season, if they aren't winning.

Buss makes it sound as if they decided not to go public with this until after season tickets were sold....

From the LA Times:

BUSS: BRYANT ISN'T UNTOUCHABLE
    Lakers owner says he doesn't want to trade his star player, but he doesn't want to lose him and get nothing in return. He also defends Kupchak.

October 11, 2007

HONOLULU -- Jerry Buss looked relaxed in a seashell-print shirt and khaki shorts as he sat down near lush hotel grounds of botanical gardens and koi ponds, a paradoxical setting for his frank discussion of the very real possibility that his star player might not be on the team in two years, if not sooner.

The owner of the Lakers spoke publicly for the first time since his team's off-season of disarray, providing details of his involvement and his deepest thoughts during several months' worth of distress signals emitted by Kobe Bryant.

The conversation Wednesday also steered in other directions, touching on his opinion of his front office, whether he would sell the team in coming years, and Coach Phil Jackson's unclear future with the franchise.

Buss, who has presided over eight championships and five other NBA Finals appearances in his 28 previous years of ownership, acknowledged considering offers for Bryant over the summer -- none of them deemed remotely good enough to act upon -- and also conceded that the gaping hole in Bryant's contract could make the nine-time All-Star an ex-Laker by 2009.

Buss, 74, also said Bryant was not necessarily off the table now that the new season had started. Offers will inevitably continue to trickle in, particularly if the Lakers struggle before the February trade deadline.

"I would certainly listen," Buss said. "At any time, I think you have to do that with anybody. It's just part of the game, to listen to somebody who has a dissatisfied player that you think is going to fit. You can't keep too many loyalties. You've got to look at it as a business. He looks at it the same way I look at it."

Bryant has four years and $88.6 million left on his contract, although he can end his Lakers career by terminating his deal in two years. Such a move by Bryant would leave $47.8 million of his money on the table, but would also leave the Lakers without one of the most dynamic players in their 60-year history.

"I tend not to think in basketball terms that many years down the road because things change so dramatically, but he could test the waters at that point," Buss said. "If he still is in that frame of mind, then hopefully we can do a sign-and-trade and get some comparable talent. I would like to think that we win between now and then so that it doesn't come up."

This will be Bryant's 12th season with the Lakers, the former child prodigy now 29 and coming off an eminently vocal summer in which he requested to play for any other team, even if it meant being shipped to Pluto.

Buss tried to talk Bryant out of his mind-set at a June meeting in Barcelona, but Bryant continued to voice concerns about the direction of the franchise and reiterated his demand to be traded.

His unhappiness had steadily grown from the time the Lakers were eliminated by Phoenix in the first round of the playoffs, making it two consecutive first-round knockouts to go with a 121-125 regular-season mark since reaching the NBA Finals in 2004.

"He was very, very respectful," Buss said. "I told him when I walked in that I was going to try to talk him out of it. And he said, 'I'll listen carefully.' And he did.

"He listened very carefully for 30, 45 minutes. I tried to explain to him how much the city of Los Angeles loved him, and that to leave 10 million sweethearts for unknown territory might not be the right thing to do. But when I was finished, he said he basically felt the same way. And I said, 'OK. With that, I will proceed to see what's available.' "

Declining to give specifics, Buss said he might have pulled the trigger on a trade offer that was "within reason."

"You have to get comparable value when you make a trade," he said. "It's very hard to trade somebody like him because people who have enough material to make it worthwhile are usually contenders and they don't want to make the trade.

"What was offered was not ever under consideration. And I told Kobe that. I told him I would try my best to accommodate his wishes, but that I could not afford to let him go unless we got comparable talent, if there is such a thing. . . . I even told him occasionally what I was offered and I said, 'You have to know that this is not in favor of the Lakers. This would just be terrible to do.' And he said, 'I understand.' "

Buss said he never saw the amateur video in which Bryant referred to him as "an idiot." Nor did he read a late-May website entry in which Bryant suggested he had been misled by Buss, who in the summer of 2004, Bryant wrote, "promised me that the Lakers would do everything to build a contender NOW."

"I heard it second- or third-hand," Buss said. "In that we haven't been winning, the criticism of me, I think, is natural. . . . Quite honestly, since I did not read any of those other comments, I was a little surprised at him because certainly he's never said anything to me like that. Always very respectful."

Buss also addressed the fact that he might be losing his coach, something he would rather not experience.

Jackson, 62, is in the final season of a three-year, $30-million contract and has repeatedly said he would wait to sign an extension until properly gauging his health while recovering from a second hip-replacement surgery in a year.

"If he feels up to it, then he will sign an extension," Buss said. "And hopefully, that's what's going to happen. I'm very fond of him. . . . If he feels up to it, I think he would probably declare himself for a couple of years."

Jackson appeared to side with Bryant during the off-season, granting a series of interviews last month in which he tweaked the Lakers' front office for not making big changes.

Buss acknowledged frustration at losing out to old rivals in Boston for Kevin Garnett's services -- "I personally feel that we made a better offer than the people who were successful," he said -- and also gave a vote of confidence to his often-criticized front office, specifically his son, Jim -- the team's vice president of player personnel -- and General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

"I think Mitch does a terrific job because I'm right there and I know what's happening," Buss said. "Mitch has done everything humanly possible. Our team does not have a lot of tradable players. Hopefully we will have some in time, but currently we do not.

"We've got two or three players that people would like to have, but they want them giving us not comparable returns. I am aware of every single trade that he has tried to make. What we had to offer just wasn't sufficient for them.

"One of the big problems we had was that Kwame [Brown] and Lamar [Odom] were both injured at the end of the year so that nobody knew how they would come back. The other guy that was good was [Andrew] Bynum and nobody knew, 'How good is he?' Nobody knows yet, really."

Buss also defended his son, crediting him for insisting on drafting Ronny Turiaf; casting an important vote in favor of drafting Bynum; and, more recently, bringing sharpshooting undrafted rookie Coby Karl to training camp.

"Jim, I think, is in the same boat as Mitch," Buss said. "I think he is criticized for everything and I'm not so sure what any of us have done [wrong]."

Near the end of the 38-minute interview, Buss temporarily shrugged off the summer of discord and all the questions surrounding the upcoming season.

He said he thought the Lakers would win "50-plus games" if the roster were healthy, and he relayed a big-picture message. Despite the soap opera that his franchise can become on a moment's notice, he is not selling the team any time soon. The plan is still to turn it over to his daughter, Jeanie, and Jim.

"People I trust offer me incredible amounts of money -- far more than you'd imagine," Buss said. "These are credible people. I keep thinking, 'OK, [if] I sell it now, I pay the taxes, I put the money in the bank and now I've got to decide what to do. I ought to do something with all this money that would be a lot of fun. I'll buy the Lakers.' It always comes back to there's nothing I could do that would be more fun."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 787 Times in 378 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    The Bulls win it all.
    Big Ben's got his headband back. Watch out for the upstart Bulls this year.

The west will come down to Phoenix and Denver.

A.I. and Melo will show the league what this is all about having a full season to play together. Carmelo Anthony is league MVP this season.

Jerry Buss is a cocksucker. A drama queen. Like some cranky old bitch who can't deliver the goods anymore, so has to create drama all around himself so that he still gets all the attention. I hate him for wasting Kobe's talent. "I could not afford to let him go unless we got comparable talent, if there is such a thing."
    I can't believe we have to listen to this shit for yet another season. Buss has disgraced the Lakers. He thrives on it. Another very long season for Kobe and the Lakers, compliments of Jerry Buss.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Big Ben's got his headband back. Watch out for the upstart Bulls this year.

A.I. and Melo will show the league what this is all about having a full season to play together. Carmelo Anthony is league MVP this season.

Jerry Buss is a cocksucker. A drama queen. Like some cranky old bitch who can't deliver the goods anymore, so has to create drama all around himself so that he still gets all the attention. I hate him for wasting Kobe's talent. "I could not afford to let him go unless we got comparable talent, if there is such a thing."
    I can't believe we have to listen to this shit for yet another season. Buss has disgraced the Lakers. He thrives on it. Another very long season for Kobe and the Lakers, compliments of Jerry Buss.
    Well that cocksucking drama queen has brought 8 more championships to LA than Denver will EVER have, so I wouldn't go ballistic on him quite yet.

There are two ways to look at it:

One, this changes nothing. We all assumed this summer that the Lakers would get phone calls regarding Kobe's demands. Buss, a stand up guy, gave Kobe his word that he would honor his wishes if it made business sense, and Kobe understood. All we are getting here is what a lot of us already knew.

Two, that this was calculated. When Buss says something like this, it usually means goodbye. So time to get ready to see Kobe go.

He did say what we all knew--that if the Lakers win, he could stay.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

Wruff, just shut the fuck up...jesus. When your owner gets you 8 titles, then we'll talk. Jerry Buss was a revolutionary owner, one that helped change and shape the game in the 80's. God you're a buffoon sometimes.

Seems pretty easy to me. If the Lakers are winning, he's staying. If they're not, he's leaving. Duh. Like any of us didn't know that already.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Wruff, just shut the fuck up...jesus. When your owner gets you 8 titles, then we'll talk. Jerry Buss was a revolutionary owner, one that helped change and shape the game in the 80's. God you're a buffoon sometimes.

Seems pretty easy to me. If the Lakers are winning, he's staying. If they're not, he's leaving. Duh. Like any of us didn't know that already.
    You catch the first pre-season game Brett? I did...had to struggle to stay awake. I had almost caught up to live television at the beginning of the fourth quarter, so I hit the 'live' button on the remote, only to see the Lakers go from down 20+ pts to tied. So then I HAD to stay up.

And then Hudson hit the jumper to win it.

Anyway, I was impressed with Radmanovic's touch (it should help immensely that he does not have sprained ligaments in his shooting hand this season), and with Crittenton. He's a rook, but he was impressive.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I did watch it, good game, fun come back. I just turned on the one tonight, hasn't started yet.

Crittenton is gonna be a stud, I can tell that right away. He'll be starting quickly, he looks that good. Very impressed with him. Seems to really understand the game, I like him. Very excited for his future here. He looks like our best pick since...well maybe Eddie Jones. (since Lakers didn't really pick Kobe). I think Farmar will be gone by mid-season. I also think if Mihm is healthy and playing well, Kwame will be gone by mid-season too.

Kobe looked pretty good, didn't shoot too much until the 3rd quarter. Rad looked better, I thought Bynum looked better too. Hey maybe they'll be good, I don't know. They seem to have a lot decent players this year if they can stay healthy.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

"Wruff you just shut up you fucker 'cause he has 8 championships"

Always. This dude gets a pass for life, fuck the season. And you call me a dork.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I would say he knows more about running a successful organization than you or ANYONE associated with the Denver Nuggets...so yes.

NOTHING he said was news, nor was Kobe's response where he said, "Yep that's what happened."
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

First 6 albums and bov1
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

03.16.12 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crittenton is gonna be a stud, I can tell that right away. He'll be starting quickly, he looks that good. Very impressed with him. Seems to really understand the game, I like him. Very excited for his future here. He looks like our best pick since...well maybe Eddie Jones.
    Yeah Brett, Crittenton was a safe and good pick by your lakers. I watched him at Ga Tech last year and he was getting better as the year went on. He is a true point and is able to my those clutch shots and take over a team. I think he is 6'5 if i remember. But he would be great on defense once he figures that out. I really wanted the hawks to pick him instead on Ace Law IV.
    Georgia Tech Football - Bring on Utah!!!! Go Jackets!!!!
    Falcons - I hear playoffs
    Atlanta Braves - Need to make some real moves
    Atl Hawks - 3-0 alright were undefeated and when did they pick up this guy called Marvin Williams?????
    PS3 Network - VanHalen

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

I would say he knows more about running a successful organization than you or ANYONE associated with the Denver Nuggets...so yes.
    Brett. You know better. You've seen what I've done with the Reamers this year. And you see that the Nuggets are poised to win this whole thing in '08.

An organization that rests on its past achievements is doomed to fail, and all I ever hear from you guys is about the past, and denials about the present.

NOTHING he said was news, nor was Kobe's response where he said, "Yep that's what happened."
    Nope. No news. Same sorry shit. I said in my first post "We have to hear this shit for another year".
    Kobe knows that if he doesn't do something drastic real quick that he's screwed for another season. The greatest player ever rotting year after year on a team who's owner doesn't care. All Buss cares about is that he has his Kobe. Nothing else. Kobe's all he's got and he's dragging Kobe down with the ship.

Yesterday Buss pretty much told the world that Kobe's finished as a Laker. Though in the same breath he also said "I could not afford to let him go unless we got comparable talent, if there is such a thing." It's the same shit. Kobe's stuck rotting in LA on a shitty team playing for a shitty owner who couldn't care less about Kobe Bryant. Kobe's trapped, and kobe knows that. He had enough years ago. If he's not traded in 2 weeks then the shit's really going to hit the fan over this. Finally.

Brett, you could be right in that Kobe will be a Laker this year. I hope not. I don't think so. Something's going to give real soon. After all Kobe is being held against his will and playing for an owner who's deliberately and knowingly sabotaging his career.

Buss; "Kobe see's it like I do, as a business". Kobe doesn't see it as you do Buss you dumbfuck. Kobe's a baller who only wants to play for an organization that wants to win but who's rather stuck rotting on your shitty team, and you couldn't care less as long as you hold your golden barganing chip that you have no intention whatsoever of barganing with.
    Kobe knows he's only collateral to Buss. Collateral that, according to Buss, no one can match.

Brett, I tend to think more and more that despite all the wrongs being done in LA by Buss that you don't care. You turn a blind eye to his crimes. Happy to keep Kobe locked up in your dungeon so that you can at least say he's still yours. Parading him in public like some kind of trophy freak. What a waste. After all you bleed purple and yellow, so your loyalties are with Buss, and not the greatest player ever who's career is being ruined by that cunt owner of yours.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I don't think the lakers are going to be all that bad this year. In fact, I think they're be quite good. At LEAST 45 games.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post