Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Greensboro Review From The Observer

9-30-07

GREENSBORO -- It's always a cool moment when the lights go down and a roar goes up. But there are certain shows where that anticipatory energy is just overwhelming, which was definitely the case Saturday night at Greensboro Coliseum. At long last, after 22 years of estrangement, original hambone lead singer David Lee Roth is back in the Van Halen fold and it's about damn time.

"We came here to entertain you...I'm the one, the one you love," Roth sang on the second song of the set, and there was not a person in the room who doubted it.

Of course, it's easy to be skeptical or even cynical about this much- ballyhooed reunion tour, as well as creeped out by the cash-in aspect -- and disappointed that original Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony has been seemingly excised from the band's history, replaced by guitarist Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang. Nevertheless, there's just something so right about seeing Roth up there where he belongs again, even without the mane of hair he used to sport.

By the end of the very first song (a crushing "You Really Got Me") Roth was scatting his vocal and Eddie Van Halen was duplicating it syllable for syllable on his guitar. That goofy sense of fun is exactly the dimension Van Halen lacked during those long, dark Sammy Hagar years.

From Eddie's opening guitar salvo, the band came rampaging out of the gate at a pace that would have been impossible to maintain -- and things did flag a bit midway through. This was the second show of the tour and Wolfgang is still getting his sea legs as Van Halen's bassist and backup vocalist. So there were some rough spots, especially on the songs requiring a lighter touch ("Dance the Night Away," "Jamie's Cryin'").

Still, there were only a handful of clunkers, and virtually the entire soldout crowd stayed on its feet for the entire two-hour show. It was classic in every sense of the term, right down to the extended drum- and guitar-solo interludes. And here's one aspect where having Wolfgang rather than Anthony in the band is an advantage: no bass solo. Wolfgang did fine, by the way, although he's not exactly overflowing with stage presence. You just sort of lost track of him for long stretches, which was fine because he was anything but the focal point.

When Roth departed Van Halen in 1985, there were some hard feelings that seemed to deepen over time. So the singer's onstage interactions with his old bandmates were as much a point of interest as his singing. He and Eddie both seemed to be having great fun, even hugging a few times (and drawing roars of approval). It seems like only a matter of time before old tensions emerge. But given the fact that Roth has the most to gain from this reunion, one might hope for the best there. Roth pulled off just about every song credibly, even though his voice has undeniably lost some of its higher range. But he hasn't lost a thing in the showmanship department.

Roth's saving grace has always been that he's onto himself, which is even more important now that he's starting to look like your skeevy older uncle who likes to tell dirty jokes and flirt with girls young enough to be his daughter. He'd be creepy if he weren't so funny. The great thing about Roth being back in Van Halen is being reminded all over again that he and Eddie Van Halen both make each other funnier. Some of the most amusing jokes of the night were skronky noises on guitar.

The set list concentrated on Van Halen's early glory days, 1978-84, peaking with a couple of for-the-ages classics, "Hot for Teacher" and "Panama." The former song was almost speed-metal, multiples faster than it used to be. And on the latter song, Roth hit those high-pitched yelps just right and it felt like 1984 all over again.

For a couple of hours, at least, it was.
    Here's the line that stood out to me:

That goofy sense of fun is exactly the dimension Van Halen lacked during those long, dark Sammy Hagar years.
    Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 10.02.07 at 08:29 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 3
    Favorite VH Song

How many say I
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another positive review. Other than the lame comment about Sam.

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH074ever View Post
    ...Other than the lame comment about Sam.
    Yet it's so true....
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish. - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.08.08 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those long dark years with Hagar. What a tool this dude is. Millions of albums sold and sold out concerts for years. If Van Hagar was the only version of Van Halen, it would always be looked upon as successful. There is nothing dark about Hagar.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, I think Sammy seems to be much more free to be himself when he is not with Van Halen. The only time I ever got to see him with Van Halen was in 2004, and it looked like anything but fun on that stage. There was obvious hostility going on over Ed's alcohol and drug abuse. When I saw Sammy several times before and after 2004, he was having a lot of fun and he always brought the party with him. Every time he plays in Saint Louis he sells out the show. People there love him.

From what I have seen on the boots, there seems to be more fun happening in the Van Halen band for this 2007 tour than there was in 2004... but it's still early yet. I hope the fun continues with no trauma or drama... at least until they get to Saint Louis - LOL!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Another positive review.

At least for now, they've got their shit together.*

*drunken posting.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Add this to the GREENSBORO review Thread!!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.