Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

08.14.17 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Some Thoughts About Ears And Hearing

I've read some posts here where some members say the sound was great and others say it was muddy and others say it started out good, and then got muddy.

Just an opinion here on my part...I am in my mid 50s and have noticed that at loud concerts the sound starts out good but deteriorates quickly (within 15 minutes). At least in my case this has nothing to do with the sound and everything to do with my ears and my hearing. If I play guitar with the amp dimed it sounds like crap ten minutes after I start...however, I can play on 8/10 for two hours and it sounds great.

When I go to concerts now I wear Hearos ear plugs and the concert sounds great all night long, plus no ringing at all!! I think after a certain age your ears are just too sensitized to loud volume levels, and begin to "shut down" after a bit of exposure...this may be the "muddiness" you are hearing.
    Last edited by mikelong; 10.02.07 at 05:51 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

someone ask maya if they wanna know al the ins n outs

while at northwestern, i believe she wrote a paper or two on the subject and has a vast knowledge of the subject. she majored in sound i believe.

she's very knowledgeable and very helpful on the situation
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelong View Post
    I've read some posts here where some members say the sound was great and others say it was muddy and others say it started out good, and then got muddy.

Just an opinion here on my part...I am in my mid 50s and have noticed that at loud concerts the sound starts out good but deteriorates quickly (within 15 minutes). At least in my case this has nothing to do with the sound and everything to do with my ears and my hearing. If I play guitar with the amp dimed it sounds like crap ten minutes after I start...however, I can play on 8/10 for two hours and it sounds great.

When I go to concerts now I wear Hearos ear plugs and the concert sounds great all night long, plus no ringing at all!! I think after a certain age your ears are just too sensitized to loud volume levels, and begin to "shut down" after a bit of exposure...this may be the "muddiness" you are hearing.
    Were these the Hi-Fi Hearos ? These are the ones I bought for this concert, I'm hoping they are enough protection ?
    M

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.03.07 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MRDC View Post
    Were these the Hi-Fi Hearos ? These are the ones I bought for this concert, I'm hoping they are enough protection ?
    M
    I used HEAROS on Saturday night in Greensboro. What I like about them is that they eliminate 100% of the distortion so all you hear is notes. What I DON'T like about them is the EXTREME reduction in overall sound.

I bought the least amount of noise reduction possible...the NRR 26 pair. This is the least amount of volume reduction that HEAROS sells (equals 26 LESS decibels) and my problem then becomes NOT LOUD ENOUGH. After all, I DO want to rock out a little!!

My conclusion? VH needs to TURN IT DOWN!!!! Without ear plugs, the show starts to sound like ONE LOUD DRONE by the fifth song.

I almost want to call out ALL artists (including Van Halen) on this one. Lord knows their monitors are not blasting 110 decibels! Why do they think the audience wants sound levels they would consider ridiculous for THEIR OWN playback?!?!?!

Sorry, I'm venting. It just gets a little annoying...

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 2,103 Times in 687 Posts

Crank it UPPPPPPPPPPP!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

You know...I would maybe think, just one more time. It is Van Halen after all. The truth is you just can't risk it people. Between concerts, my car and working in some kind of aviation environment for the past 20 years...

I'm dealing with my 80 y/o dad and bad ears right now. He misses conversations, his 4 y/o grandson has to yell at him to get his attention. Kinda sad at times. I don't want that.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    Crank it UPPPPPPPPPPP!
    You make such a great point James. I mean who cares about sound quality or the ability to actually HEAR the notes being played? As long as you can SEE the band and a loud indecipherable noise, you must feel like you got your money's worth...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDancer View Post
    You make such a great point James. I mean who cares about sound quality or the ability to actually HEAR the notes being played? As long as you can SEE the band and a loud indecipherable noise, you must feel like you got your money's worth...
    People seemed to care in 2004 when everybody including myself at some times were complaining about Ed's playing...it mattered then...why not now?

Yeah...I mean why even play a setlist....they could just go up on stage and jump around with no music playing...and that would be fine as well..... ...that's worth 700 bucks for the people buying pit seats.....

If I go to a show and I'm sitting on the floor I expect there to be some sound quality that is lost due to the space between you and the speakers...however if you're sitting in the stands....you should almost be guaranteed great sound ...I saw Joe Satriani in row 8 and his sound was great! I've seen Aerosmith 3 times in the stands at the Air Canada centre....last year their sound was great...the year before...their sound was not so great....

If some people have been waiting 20 years to see the boys play I'm the One and Romeo Delight...I can understand their frustration if it's sooooo loud that they can't make out the notes....
    Last edited by MF5150; 10.03.07 at 08:00 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude- we may be on to something. Maybe Van Halen should unplug their instruments all together and just jump around the stage. And instead of music, they should just crank out that sound a fax machine makes...at 110 decibels!!! People like "James in New York" would go batshit!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDancer View Post
    Dude- we may be on to something. Maybe Van Halen should unplug their instruments all together and just jump around the stage. And instead of music, they should just crank out that sound a fax machine makes...at 110 decibels!!! People like "James in New York" would go batshit!!
    Were you being sarcastic before? I swear to god I couldn't tell...that's why I responded to you and not James....but now....I can tell.....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I was only kidding...I was trying to point out the stupidity of James in New York's "Crank it Up" comment.

People like him are the reason bands don't have to worry about sound quality. They know there are plenty of folks who will pay LOTS OF CASH to hear what amounts to a loud white noise...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MRDC View Post
    M
    I really do not recall which type of Hearos they were, but I bought more for this upcoming show, and they were not called H-Fi.

No matter, if they reduce too much of the sound, simply loosen the fit in your ear and they will let in more volume. I agree wit the poster who said that the Hearos eliminated all of the reverberating distortion and you could hear the notes. Mine were not too quiet at all, the music still sounded loud even with the Hearos, but not excessively, ear damaging loud.

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

People went to a rock concert and loud music broke out? Say it ain't so.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

I remember back in '92 (my first VH concert), it was so loud that they were halfway through 5150 (the opening song) before I figured out what they were playing. I put earplugs in after a few songs and the rest of the concert was great. Subsequent VH concerts I've been to weren't nearly as loud...I took earplugs, but didn't use them.

I'll definitely wear earplugs this time though. I want to still be able to hear music when I'm 70.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHisback View Post
    I'll definitely wear earplugs this time though. I want to still be able to hear music when I'm 70.
    +1000...as much as we all love music on this forum, imagine trying to live without it, or having it sound so compromised due to hearing damage that you'd rather not listen...I think that would just about break my heart.

You young guys may think this is not a serious subject or that your ears are different, but I can assure you that all ears are susceptible to damage from listening to excessively loud noises of any type for too long...once the damage is done it's too late.

...so...take care of your ears...they're the only ones you'll likely ever have!!