Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

10.02.07 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Comment on Van Halen tour/setlist style

I want to first start out by saying I saw the band in Philly last night and I was highly entertained and I thought the show was outstanding. Dave was a hell of a frontman, hasn't missed a beat.. Eddie compared to when I saw him in '04 was unbelivably on key.. it really just made me step back and say WOW. The band sounded great and I had a great time..

My question has to do with this.. The setlist was great and obviously it includes so many of our favorites, but I always noticed VH seems to have problems selling a 2nd show even in a major market.. Philly still had a bunch of seats left for both nights.. By showtime it was full, but still the availablity was good..

You see guys like Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band on tour.. now I love Bruce, but I'd say Van Halen probably has a bigger fanbase than Bruce does, correct me if I'm wrong... HOWEVER, due to the fact Bruce plays almost an entirely different setlist night by night it keeps him selling out almost all the major markets 2, sometimes 3 nights.. Do you think if Van Halen mixed up the set like Bruce did that would help them out like it does for Bruce? Because Bruce probably has those same core fans coming back for multiple nights because of the different setlists... I know they won't ever do it, but if they mixed it up, do you think that would lead to an attendance increase for a band like Van Halen too? Imagine like Me Wise Magic and CGTSNM being rotated into the setlist every few nights... I think a lot more VH fans would be going to night 2... just a thought I had

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjflyer View Post
    I want to first start out by saying I saw the band in Philly last night and I was highly entertained and I thought the show was outstanding. Dave was a hell of a frontman, hasn't missed a beat.. Eddie compared to when I saw him in '04 was unbelivably on key.. it really just made me step back and say WOW. The band sounded great and I had a great time..

My question has to do with this.. The setlist was great and obviously it includes so many of our favorites, but I always noticed VH seems to have problems selling a 2nd show even in a major market.. Philly still had a bunch of seats left for both nights.. By showtime it was full, but still the availablity was good..

You see guys like Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band on tour.. now I love Bruce, but I'd say Van Halen probably has a bigger fanbase than Bruce does, correct me if I'm wrong... HOWEVER, due to the fact Bruce plays almost an entirely different setlist night by night it keeps him selling out almost all the major markets 2, sometimes 3 nights.. Do you think if Van Halen mixed up the set like Bruce did that would help them out like it does for Bruce? Because Bruce probably has those same core fans coming back for multiple nights because of the different setlists... I know they won't ever do it, but if they mixed it up, do you think that would lead to an attendance increase for a band like Van Halen too? Imagine like Me Wise Magic and CGTSNM being rotated into the setlist every few nights... I think a lot more VH fans would be going to night 2... just a thought I had
    I might be wrong, but I thought that Bruce plays those big multi shows in East Coast cities only. I don't remember him making any extended stays here in the Bay Area, but I could be wrong. If so, I'd say that it is more of a function of having a much bigger fan base than VH in those cities and I don't think that the majority of people are going to multiple Bruce shows.

Also, VH tickets are really, really expensive. For the hardcore fans, dropping $700 for a sweet seat doesn't afford a lot of room to jump on even a cheaper ticket on another night. My economic situation is favorable and even I've decided against seeing them 2 nights when they are here. Your argument is compelling, in that if they played a ton of other tunes that were vastly different from night to night, I might be enticed to buy an extra ticket, however price would still be a driving factor.

I think you brought up a thoughful and an interesting topic nonetheless. I don't think there is much more that VH could do to upsell their show with the current variables in place. I think the only thing that would generate more ticket sales at shows would be a highly anticipated and successful new album that gets play outside of classic rock stations (terrestrial and non).
    Last edited by Reckless Fable; 10.02.07 at 05:38 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

2 nights??? i just want them to come to Nashville once!!
    ANDMBI
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.18.16 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I agree 100%. There is no reason they can't relearn all of the first six albums. It's not even sixty songs. Most cover bands play a hundred or more. The Dead played over 300 hundred, Phish did the same and it made every show unique.
    Van Halen are different in that they do the same show every night right down the stories that Dave tells. ( I hope he doesn't tear up @ every show)
    I'm pysched about DC, but I would have gone to both Philly shows and DC if they were mixing up the set every night.
    Still so far, this has surpassed my expectations and I hope they keep it going.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Van Halen has always sucked at coming up with a set for a 2nd night.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    2 nights??? i just want them to come to Nashville once!!
    ANDMBI
    No kidding! If I thought it'd do any good, I'd start begging Eddie right now!!

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bruce has a huge fan base in the ny/nj area, so he can fill giants stadium 10 times over like he did a few years ago... not only does he change up the setlist, but he keeps the ticket prices VERY reasonable, and is willing to play the multiple nights than try to milk it for what he can on just one night... a LOT of artists could learn a thing or two from bruce on building fan loyalty this way (you don't have to like his music to see that his logic works)...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Only someone who has been asleep during the last 10 years would wonder why Bruce does better than VH.

Plain and simple: he's been a professional musician his whole life. Whereas VH post 1996 has been by and large a joke - with only themselves to blame.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

04.27.08 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Probably would see a slight increase in sales for 2nd nights once word got around that their setlist changes slightly for a 2nd show. This would be a great thing to see from a fans point of view though. Imagine going having tickets to your show 3 wks from now and not really knowing what classic songs they will pull out of the bag that night. That would really build the already unbearable anticipation. While I'm on the topic of their setlist, Jump is not really the best encore song due to it's heavy involvement of keyboards. They need to really pull out a song like Full Bug or Light Up the Sky. They really need to dump RWTD-old and tired and replace I'll Wait with another slower tempo song not so reliant on keyboards, maybe Simple Rhyme or something. Not complaining just suggesting.
    Ya lollygag around around the infield, ya lollygag down to 1st, ya lollygag in and out of the dugout...ya know what that makes you?...LARRRY!!?......... .LOLLYGAGGERS!! lollygagers... -Bull Durham

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.21.08 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I wish I could have seen this live...

I'm so excited about the new energy of this band from all the reports. Can't wait till San Jose.

But man, watch Ed's solo in this Sao Paolo clip and you're truly in the presence of greatness. His tone is so fucking sick. I would love to have been able to see that incarnation of the band. All four of those guys just ripping and clowning and killing it.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 18,151 Times in 8,969 Posts

My favorite VH clip. To me that just shows what the original lineup was all about. When Dave was in good voice they were tough to beat, incredible energy and the chops to go with it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.07.08 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jjflyer View Post
    You see guys like Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band on tour.. now I love Bruce, but I'd say Van Halen probably has a bigger fanbase than Bruce does, correct me if I'm wrong...
    You're wrong.

Bruce has a much, much bigger fan base than VH. Sad, but true.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think they would be more likely to have a more varied set list after getting back into the swing of things...if you think about it, these guys have a lot of rust to shake off, a new bass player to work into the mix, a lot of detractors to prove wrong etc etc...it doesn't suprise me in the least that they chose a set list and focused entirely on it so they could get the best performance together...particularly for the first leg of the tour. I'm sure if this thing keeps going and their confidence builds, eventually their musical ambition will move them to throw some curveballs in there. 20 years or not between tours, it's going to get boring playing the same songs every night.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
    You're wrong.

Bruce has a much, much bigger fan base than VH. Sad, but true.
    Much...Much...Much bigger....Their both great though...
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

One problem with a varied setlist... The lighting production for the show is all preprogramed per song and within the setlist order. It's triggered at the start of each song to allow for any breaks between songs.

If you look at videos from night to night you'll see the same timed lighting effects for each song. The only "live" portion of the stage production is the mobile spots that follow the guys on stage.

These big production shows are tightly choreographed between the lighting and song performance. Many times a click track is fed to the drummer that's synced to the light show.

To handle a variable setlist they'd probably have to go with a scaled down stage production for lighting. You'd lose a lot of the lasers and big timed color changes.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com