Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Default Reviews-Philadelphia, PA 10-1-07

If you attended the Philadelphia show please post your review here. If you did NOT ATTEND this show then do not post in this thread!!!

This thread is for reviews only!!!
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Well, well, well. Guess who's back in circulation?? The "new" Van Halen!! 3/4 original, 1/4 inevitable. Dave's words, not mine, but he was totally right. Van Halen just rocked the shit out of South Philadelphia!!

Before I get to the review, a couple of quick shout outs. Lode, Pert, Flithy, Tab and Di. Love you guys. Can't thank you enough for making this experience a 10 on a 10 scale. You guys are THE fucking best. KT, I missed ya babe, and you know that, but it was GREAT talkin to ya. One day we will surely party together. Angie, I felt your spirit tonight, and I flippin can't wait until you finally get to see these guys live. Jeff, sorry I didn't get to stay and chill with ya. I see ya called man, but it was so loud I missed it. Remember to PM your address, and I'll get that tape sent out by friday. By the way, you're one kick ass dad, bro!

Alright folks, if you're on the fence about going to see these guys live, stop fucking around and go!! Get, get, get, get, get out and push and dammit! The boys are back and sounding fucking amazing! I dig Sam, and Mikey is my boy. What they did in this band can never be denied by anyone. But tonight, I did not miss either of you. In fact I'm happy that you guys are doing what you're doing, and VH is doing what they're doing. Everyone is happy..for now.

The setlist was as advertised, not that I can complain. Highlights were RWTD, Jamie's Cryin, Dance The Night Away, Panama and So This Is Love?

Alex. Hot damn, bro. Do you ever get fucking tired??? You are so underrated it's not even funny. The jungle drums are still fuckin there, and there as vital to the tunes as Ed's brown sound. You're the fuckin man, dude!

Wolf. What can I say. I went to this show kinda skeptical. Those that know me know I was on the fence for a while because I'm a purist. Van Halen to me is Ed, Mike, Al, Dave and Sam. And you know what, tonight didn't change that for me. However, Wolf did his thing and I left very impressed. He does NOT sing backing vox like Mike Anthony. It just can't be done. Mike is Mike. But I love Wolf's playing, especially since he didn't play note for note. He was doing his own thing up there and it was AWESOME.

Edward. This was the fourth time I've seen this little dutch kid come to my neck of the woods, and tonight was the best I've ever seen him. I didnt know if you'd ever get the magic back, and clearly there are things you just can't do anymore, but sir, your place in history will forever be etched in stone. You are Edward Van Halen. The legacy is what is, and I'm glad to see you healthy and kicking ass again.

David. I've seen you about five or six times already, not including tonight. I don't know what the fuck has gotten into you, but you clearly have been eating your wheaties. You're in top shape, and vocally you've never sounded this good. NEVER! You blew me away tonight. My pal leaned over to me during the show and asked me does Dave ever stop strutting? That answer is NO! And I fucking love it! The swagger is back in Van Halen, and I hope it's around for a very long time.

Anywho, it's been a long night. The Bud Light is kicking my ass, and the fact that they were 7 bucks still doesn't sit right with me. All in all, a good time was had by all. Drank a lil sumthin, smoked a lil sumthin, hung out with friends and got rocked by THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Oh, and I forgot to say this. Brett, stop fuckin around and buy a cheap seat, dude. You can't miss this man. You just can't.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

just got back and all i can say WOW..Fucking WOW...im not going to get into the setlist and all that...not much more that i can add that hasnt been said, but I will say this....I have seen various incarnations of the family that is VH but NEVER with Roth at the helm...ive waited since the 1984 tour when my parents said no when i asked if I could go way back in the 8th grade....so Ive seen every tour with Sammy, Dave solo several times, the Gary tour, etc....

This show tonight just blew me away and i was gracious to be in the presence of such pure raw talent...VH is, was and always will be my favorite band til the day I die.

I just wish i could meet those fuckers...

i only have 1 complaint...1. the merchandise was weak so i bought a parking lot tee that doesnt fit..
    Well ain't life grand when you finally hit it, I'm always a sucker for a real good time, woke up in life to find i almost missed it,aint I glad that love is blind

Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Favorite VH Song

A lot of 'em
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 06:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SHOW NO. 2

first night in philly

it was awesome!!!!!
    we had great seats
    section 115 row 10

the place was crazy all night
    i thought dave and ed seemed more at ease and relaxed with
    each other tonight.
    dave talked more but not to much

i dont what to say...the first 4 songs of this set just wear you out
    !!!!!!!man there is no way to recover
    cant wait for wed.

my wife got some unbelievable pictures that we will
    post in the picture thread as soon as we figure out how
    too late to start on that now

i have to say to be fair that ed kinda messed up on eruption
    i'm not complaining, i've seen him do it a million times
    but he did miss the high trill part....other than that though
    he was smokin'

like i said before dave definitly loosened up tonight
    even mention phillies making the playoffs
    sorry if i'm rambling

bottom line...if your on the fence and a vh fan you gotta go
    this show is too unbelievable to miss...hard to explain but
    wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok gotta hit the sack now
    see ya all on wed.
    did i log in for this?.....Yes I did!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.03.07 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default SHORTEN THE SHOW GUYS

I know I’m gonna get killed for this but here goes:

with 3 shows down, I think the boys could really improve things by cutting about 5 songs. I realized this at about the 85th minute mark Saturday night in Greensboro. CVH shows back in the day were a TIGHT, EXPLOSIVE 90 minutes (see US festival for one example). I think VH07 deserves HUGE CREDIT for attempting a very ambitious “leave-no-hit-unplayed” concert experience (past the age of 50 no less!!!). They are obviously trying to give their fans a tremendous bang for their hard-earned buck and they need to be commended for such. Having said this, it’s too long.

The reason U2 and Springsteen are so amazing live is that they take you on a musical journey with ebbs and flows and peaks and valleys. 2-3 hours for them is easy. Unfortunately, Van Halen’s catalogue just doesn’t lend itself to this kind of concert. When the Boss brings it down for 20 minutes of mellow, reflective songs, this makes the ramp-up to the finales all the more exhilarating. Dave and the boys are hitting the stage with the pedal to the floor and guns blazing with no end in sight. Problem is, they run out of ammo around “I’ll Wait” (which is criminal considering it follows the crunchy goodness of “Unchained”). They don’t regain their footing until “Little Guitars”.

I think my point is best made by directing your attention to the 2 most magical moments of this show. When they stop on a dime in the middle of “I’m the One” and when Dave takes it down later in the show by strumming his acoustic and telling a story before “Ice Cream Man”. Both allow us to stop and reflect and both are PURE MAGIC!!!

My quick suggestions:

1. KEEP “I’ll Wait” ---it’s a great showcase for Dave’s voice. JUST MOVE IT. Do it early or try it as a first encore (I really think this would work). Also, the synth on this NEEDS TO BE LIVE.

2. JUMP is plain and simply NOT WORKING as the encore. Put it in the middle and the casual fans in attendance will thank you. Furthermore, the piped in keyboards are ridiculous. Instead of rocking out, the whole crowd is exchanging looks of “who the hell is playing that keyboard???”

3. Drop Beautiful Girls (pains me to say this but it’s needed), Pretty Woman, DRUM SOLO (this REALLY drags), Jamie’s Crying and one more.

4. ENCORE with “PANAMA”…this is the most glorious song for die-hards and casuals. It rocks hard and everyone loves it. This song ramps the excitement level for EVERYONE IN ATTENDANCE. This is the goal of the encore…finishing strong. Too many die-hards hate “Jump”.

5. LOSE the inflatable Microphone and the Prop Chains…they SCREAM “David Lee Roth…solo artist”. Not very CVH at all.

Now, Don’t get me wrong. AS IS, the show is completely un-missable. It really is AMAZING stuff. I just think they are attempting 2 hours at 500 mph and it could be slightly better with a little bit more contrast. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore…

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinners Swing
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 05:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got home from the show I live 2 hours north and all I have to say is it was worth EVERY FUCKING PENNY. 20 plus songs of non stops Dave and Eddie. LOUDER THAN HELL.....I am speechless right now. They blistered from You Really Got Me all the way to Jump. And my neck hurts....kicked my ass and I want more....

I agree that they should dump a song or two, I also agree Panama should be the Encore...the place went absolute apeshit when they blew into that.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Default PHILLY 10/1/07

What a fucking show! High energy, it went too quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to see them again!!!! Van Halen is kicking ass like they haven't in decades.

There is no slow down or drawn out lingering slow moments...it's amazingly performed songs, one song after another rapid fire. Jan Van Halen would be proud of his sons and grandson for sure! I mean that. It was a Van Halen Blitz.

Dave was 100% right. My mind was fully roasted.WOW! I judge everything in life rather harshly and VH sounds amazing and is on top of their game. I saw them maybe 8 times with DLR in the day, twice with Sammy and once with Gary. Awesome show! better than any Sammy or Gary show I saw and close to better than some of the best DLR era shows I've seen. They were really tight in Philly for the FW and DD tours. Hard to say this is better, very close though. That's saying A LOT! It's unreal!

Van Halen sounds amazing and put on a excellent show! No negatives that diminished the performance. It would have been over the top and totally complete with Mikey there but Wolf did awesome and he inspires Ed. Stands around a lot but seemed comfortable, smiling a lot but most importantly played and singing excellent!

In "Unchanied" Woflie said kinda smart ass and shyly " Dave....give us a break".... so that seems an improvement over what he said in the 1st shows people seemed to freak over that in a bad way.

The kid obviously has talent. I got to meet his Bass tech at the back stage tour and saw Wolf's and Ed's guitars. I wanted to grab the frank replica and new wolfgang proto type and make a run for it!!!! I had whiskey in me too! I was good. lol Still cool to see them up close and personal. Anyway, I think the tech's name was Chris, very nice guy! and agreed that Wolf has above average and serious talent for his age. That was obvious in his performance tonight though my eyes were fixed 98% of the time on Ed and Dave.

My girl LOVED the show and thinks Dave and Ed are buff and look amazing. I agree 100%. Dave raised his eyebrow and smiled and made eye contact with my wife for a long while, and then smiled as his eyes met mine and i was giving him a thumbs up and he smiled at me. Fuck yeah! Awesome!!! We didn't meet them but that was cool. eye contact with Ed too later in the show, we were both so into it and moving about I think we caught their eyes a few times. It's a cool feeling. Best seats I've ever had for VH!

Dave sounded GREAT, amazing, perfect. I feel so happy for Dave!! He's back where he belongs and he's getting the attention and recognition, satisfaction he deserves! Welcome back Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It was amazing sitting so close to them! We were 3rd row dead center, not exaggerating I picked the seat more the(my) right, closer to ED. Awesome seats! ILAA rocks! Expensive but well worth it!! BEST SEATS IN THE HOUSE! NO SHIT!

We did the 5 star and it was well worth it! First thing we were lead to a bar that had cash bar for liquor and "free" beer, wine, soda, water and a free buffet. Not just crappy nacho's but semi decent food! That was right on cause we headed into town at 4 pm ish without dinner and planned to drink some. My wife is a vegetarian and likes white zinfadel and she was totally taken care of. That makes me happy!*wink* hehe The bar area was cool cause they had plasma/lcd screens everywhere and even in the bathrooms over each urinal haha! Seriously. hehe
    They played every old school VH video with Dave including the old lip sync of Running with the Devil, u really got me, jamies cryin' etc and the Live show of dance the night away/bottoms us etc. No other era was played only classic. They were all crystal clear and perfect. I want that fucking DVD. No loss of control though *sigh* Was fun. Met up with a Lister Jimmy!! and his girl Heather and a lot of other cool VH fans in vip5. You are two cool people! Was a pleasure! Bought a few people shots, I got semi trashed. Well actually pretty trashed! Bought too many shirts and didn't get a pick damn it! hehe Even ran into the dude at the end that runs the VHND, he was cool and said hi as did his girl. Nice people, I didn't see one VH fan tonight that was an asshole but one guy from NY saw my Phillies cap and gave me shit about his glorious Yankee's and Giants. :O I wanted to tell him to go fuck himself but my spirits were high so I smiled and focused on our VH bond instead lol...

So..The show.....The set list is the same as posted on this site.

LITTLE GUITARS kicked my ass hard tonight! I knew they were going to play it but I was NOT prepared for how much it would kick my ass! WOW!!!!!! Thank you Van Halen! My favorite song of the night by far. Ed and Dave sounded perfect, it's 1982 hearing them play that. Awesome!!! For that tune Ed played a mini frankie replica and Wolf plays a smaller bass ..black with yellow vh2 style stripes! Coolness.

It's hard to elaborate more than others have, its not much different from the first two shows but this is Philly. Philly loves VH and the crowd was loud, the place was jam packed and moving to every tune. It was a beautiful thing! I'm so jealous of people going on the 3rd too! I so can't but I so want to!!!! Damn!!! haha!!

SO let me drunkenly elaborate on each musician tonight.

Alex: The Eldest brother looks fit happy and played amazing. No problems, no mistakes that I noticed and high energy the entire night.
    Alex is a rock!

Ed: Is using a Wha pedal on some stuff and kinda blows over some of the details of some songs solos but he's nailig so much it is worth going just to see EVH. His solo in Mean Street and even Little Dreamer are wonderful, he's going to places he hasn't in a long time, he sounds and looks great! I think the longer the tour goes on the better his playing will get. It seems from the opening night vids here till tonight he's getting more comfortable with the Ice Cream Man solo and other things that seemed to be glossed over the first night or so. Still Ed kicked ass and had an amazing presence on stage.

Wolf: Wolfie plays his parts right and sings all his parts well. He doesn't sound like MA but he sounds good, same notes and with Dave back strong it all sounds better than u can believe if not there in person. Grats Wolfie!

Dave: unbiased report would be..great showman, peak shape, chemistry with the band and command of the night. Biased opinion" WELCOME BACK DAVE!! VH and "we" missed you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave was a icon and legend tonight and gave everyone his all and it was magnificent.

There's more I can say. I've said enough already. One thing that can't be overstated is "If you are a VH fan on any level GO see this show!"

Ladies and gentlemen Van Halen is back! I wan't a DVD of this tour and classic stuff and a new album!! Ok so I need another Yuengling. Peace!

Oh and Kmani? Marely was great! We enjoyed his music and Vibe and we got total interaction with him. Not that it matter but the music was very cool!! Awesome show!
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 10.01.07 at 11:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

post deleted. being nice.
    Last edited by sisca; 10.02.07 at 06:04 AM.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:25 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Default My second show in 4 days

I saw them in Charlotte sober, and I was blown away. Last night I got to see them a little drunk, and they blew me away again. A ten out of ten! And no, Wolfie did not help Eddie or whatever off the stage. I think they sounded even better last night than the 1st show. Eddie's solo was slightly different and better. Dave was even better last night. He really sang great, commanded the show with his presence. I loved when they stopped in the middle of "I'm the one" and let the audience go nuts for what seemed an eternity. Alex amazing again. "I'll wait" seems to get better each night, it's really growing on me. Eddie's solo in that song is spot on. Wolfie can really play. His vocals are very good. I wish they would jam out a little more at the end of Mean Street. I would also hope they add/drop one or two songs instead of playing the same exact concert for 30 dates. Just one song, or a jam, something!

Also, having some kind of break other than solos would be nice too. They just kept attacking song after song, never really slowing down. I was so drained after the show. They must have been too
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.19.08 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First time seeing VH with Roth (I've seen Van Hagar 3 other times), my only criticism was the sound. Really muddy, VERY loud. The guitar was so loud I couldn't hear the drums or the vocals at times. I'm going to the Meadowlands show and I hope someone corrects it....

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to choose
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being that all reviews are subjective, I will preface mine by letting you know where I come from. I first got into VH when I was about 14. I had heard You Really Got Me somewhere (friend? radio?) and I wanted to get the album it was on. There were only 3 VH albums at the time and I didn't know which one it was on, so I got all 3. Thus begun the love affair, and VH was the first band I REALLY got into. However I did not go to many concerts in my youth ad I never saw them live. When DLR left and Sammy came in, it just wasn't the same for me. Not that they didn't put out good music; it just wasn't the same for ME.

So last night was my first VH concert after being a fan for 27 or so years. With that in mind, I obviously will not be comparing this show to 2004....or 1984.....or 1444; no fours. Here goes:

I AM SO FREAKIN' HAPPY I WENT TO SEE THIS SHOW!!!!!! I have read some other reviews and I'm thinking some people might be a little jaded by past exposure. It was the fastest 2 hours in my life. Every song worked, and in my view, the energy never waned. These are four guys who are clearly having fun and are enjoying themselves as much as humanly possible. This radiates on stage and is translated in their performance.

With the way Dave was smiling and laughing all night, his face has to be sore. His vocals were just fantastic. He had tremendous enthusiasm and was clearly overjoyed to be doing what he is doing. He may not jump as high as did 20 years ago, but he is all Diamond Dave.

Eddie was simply fantastic. How someone can make sounds like that with a guitar is amazing in itself; to make it look as easy as drinking a glass of water...well I'm preaching to the choir. I believe I read somewhere (not in this thread) that some people are getting tired of his solo ("how many times can we hear the same thing"). Well here is what I have to say about that: Are you nuts? I wonder if someone would go the Orchestra and say, "it was great and all, but that Yithak Perlman played a violin piece that I've heard before and I'm just tired of it." The answer is no. What I saw was a virtuoso play his instrument like it was a part of his body. I would pay money just to see Eddie by himself on a stage playing his guitar for 2 hours.

One thing that attracts me to bands is great creative drumming. Without realizing it in my youth, Alex's drumming was almost as responsible for me getting into the band as Eddie's guitar (remember I did not have a large frame of reference in my youth to understand how revolutionary Eddie was; that realization came later). Alex was great. The driving force of his work really sets the tone. It keeps everything stitched together. And again, he was clearly having a lot of fun.

I thought Wolfgang did an excellent job as well. He brings his own signature to the rhythm section and the sound was easily on par with the rest of the group. There was no weak link in the chain. The integration of the sounds and effort worked amazingly well. Am I a Michael Anthony fan? Absolutely. Do I miss him? Without question. But the "inevitable" member of the band was in no way an outsider or a side dish. He worked; and worked extremely well.

The backing vocals were just fine, no it wasn't MA, but when you get right down to it, the crowd really provides the backing vocals.

If you have never seen them before (like me) DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY. You will not be disappointed. The one thing I would probably agree with (if I had to make one criticism) would be to swap Jump and Panama. Panama would be a much stronger encore IMHO.

Finally, I shall conclude with the assessment of my lovely bride who accompanied me. She was on the fence about going, but absent a replacement, she decided to come. She is a casual fan and was really only interested knowing that only the old songs would be played. Her quotes from this morning: "I'm really glad I went" "they're really good entertainers" "it was a lot of fun" and "I think I saw someone's ears bleeding from the volume". Okay I made up that last one, but be warned, it's LOUD (as it should be).

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

hmm...tough 1. currently WACF
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

10.03.07 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default WELCOME BACK VH!!!!!!!!!!(in more ways than one)....Philly 10/1 review

After 27 Van Halen shows, I now have had the honor of seeing, up close & personal, the latest (and I.M.O. greatest!) version of the mighty VH. I was, and still am blown away by the energy, intensity and musicianship of last night's show. "There are some things Eddie just can't do anymore"??? After everything he's been through in the last few years, the bashing by press and fans, battles with addiction, the travesty that was the R&R HOF, I think he has made an absolutely AMAZING comeback.

His playing is back in a big way, tight and tasty, with so much expression and feel. The guitar solo was full of all the goodies you might expect, with an added surprise of "Women in Love" intro; but the difference this tour was that Eddie really seemed to savor every note, milk it for all its worth. The highlights of the show for me, were the little jams during YRGM, SGMAD, EWS, hell nearly every song!...the back & forth stuff with him and Dave is just the coolest. Eddie's throwing little runs in all over the place. It has been SO LONG, probably the FUCK tour or LRHRN was the last time you actually saw them go "off record" & jam a little. Dave may be partly behind this resurgence of musical energy, as may Eddie's sobriety, but my money's on WOLFGANG being there. How could Eddie *not* be enjoying the fuck out of this tour with his own son up there onstage with him the whole time??? I think the kid does an AWESOME job......I will enjoy Mike when/if I see him with Sammy, but honestly I did not miss him last night. sorry! I wonder if anyone who's still pissed about Wolf being there instead of Mike realizes that none of this would probably be happening right now if Wolf *wasn't* there! but I digress....

Dave did just enough of his onstage antics to be entertaining and get the crowd going.....without being annoying or seeming like an '80s characature. I wonder if the (surprising) emotion during the Ice Cream man lead in was sincere? crocodile tears, Dave? I really enjoyed his voice and true to form, he did forget the words here & there. I think I'd be a little disappointed if he didn't, or if I didn't hear at least once...."look at all the people here tonight!"

As for cutting the show shorter.....are you fucking crazy??? why would anyone want this show to end any earlier than it does? I love U2 and Springsteen also but this is 100% high test in-your-face hard rock at its finest. Slam me for 2 hours and I still want more. I'd love another encore, or to add "drop dead legs" or "hear about it later".

Love to all the fans I partied with....Brian, Steve & Maureen, Chris, Danny, Tony & Karen, Ray.....others who due to alcohol consumption names' I may have forgotten....point is, those of us in the pit (and the crowd as a whole) did Philly proud!! We certainly gave the boys tons of energy to feed from.
    Chuck & Jeff, if you're reading, cool to see you guys again, too!

Have to say, the "5 star" setup not exactly as cool as in '04....I guess I was spoiled....missed seeing the soundcheck (did hear it from a distance a little)....but it was more of a connecting experience with the band last time. Prize package was ok....would've traded the badge, tin, playing cards & bandana for just a cool t-shirt. Seats....5th row center....awesome views....not as close as I would've liked for the money. Again, spoiled with the last tour's package. Did see quite a few people around and in front of us that *didn't* pay for the 5 star though. Well at least it wasn't in New York or I definitely would've been pissed! ($1000 holy shit!)

Anyway....to sum it all up.....this is THE show and THE tour that will put Van Halen back on the map and earn them back the respect that they so deserve. For years I have been defending this band for one reason or another, now all I have to say is "SHUT UP AND LISTEN!" Congratulations and thank you to the band for bringing it back, in a BIG way!!!

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Hope I'm not crossing any lines here, but I'm gonna post a review from another list. And if this guy's on here(I don't think he is) and wants to post it himself, someone feel free to delete this.

Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 10:21 AM
    To: vh@yahoogroups.com ; vhml@v2.listbox.com
    Subject: [vh] Philly Last Night

Okay, this is going to be long...

I haven't heard the boots of the 2 previous shows so I
    have no idea what all the fuss about Eddie is sloppy
    and they were screwing up left and right...yada yada.
    I want to give a review from my perspective of last
    night in Philly. Anyone else there feel free to jump
    in. Also, I hope not to ramble much, but I'm still so
    excited the thoughts are just flowing.

Let me start by saying I was in Hershey in 2004 and
    left shaking my head, hoping they never toured
    again...it was that bad. I was embarrased.

Last night was easily the greatest concert I've ever
    been to.

I was fortunate enough to get 5-star tickets for my
    wife and myself and got front row...yes, FRONT ROW
    between Eddie and Dave! I got a pick from Eddie which
    was also really cool (I think he only threw 4 and one
    fell behind the monitor)! As far as the performance,
    I know there was one or two mistakes through the
    night, but they were hardly even a blip in severity.
    The stage production was fantastic, the screen was
    huge, great lighting! A lot of really good
    interaction between Dave and Eddie, you don't get to
    see that much on the clips on the internet, but they
    seemed pretty sincere up close. Also, something I
    loved was in musical breaks in the songs Dave sings
    little bluesy parts and Ed matches them on guitar. It
    just really was something awesome to see.

Eddie: I thought Eddie sounded fantastic...it was
    just like the rehearsal videos on Youtube but 2 hours
    15 minutes long! He doesn't play note for note off
    the albums, but that doesn't mean he isn't on his
    game. He was totally on fire and he was jumping and
    dancing constantly. His solo was what you expect, but
    it never gets old to me. The guy is 180 degrees
    different than 2004. Just freakin' amazing!***For
    guitar gear heads, Eddie played his new proto-type
    quilt top Wolfgang for almost all of the show. He
    played a unique Frankie for one song (don't want to
    list a spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to know the
    setlist). He played two custom striped Charvel's (One
    black and yellow that had the word "Philly" on the
    tail end and a black red and white that I thought said
    "ROTH" right behind the tremelo). He also pulled the
    Frankie out for the encore. BTW...the new amps sound
    incredible! Also, he had a yellow and black striped
    Wah pedal on his pedal board. He's always just used a
    Crybaby Original, so this was kind of different.

Dave: Dave sang almost every word of every song and
    other than his voice being a little lower than it used
    to, he probably sounded better than I've ever heard
    him. He did less talking in between songs than I
    expected and they really just played one hit after
    another. Dave had a really cool moment before "Ice
    Cream Man" where he got filled up. He talked about
    rehearsals at the Van Halen's house in back in the day
    and Mr. and Mrs. Van Halen. He said he was getting
    nostalgic (which I really enjoyed because he really
    was telling stories from the heart). He talked about
    a girl and he directed his comments to my wife
    "reminding him of her." Anyway, I'm rambling...but,
    me being a fan of all eras of Van Halen, I really am
    happy Dave is back.

Wolfgang: Wolfgang looks a little timid at times, but
    I think he sounded incredible. He plays solid and he
    laughs and smiles a lot when Eddie and Dave interact
    with him. He'll losten up more, I thought he moved
    around more than people have been reporting. I admire
    Michael Anthony, but really I didn't think "Man, the
    bass just doesn't sound right."

Alex: Alex was solid as always. His drum solo was
    kind of the usual, but the instrumental accompany had
    a cool little ode to "Outta Love Again" from VH2.
    Good to hear him playing the old songs again.

The setlist was incredible. I actually stayed away
    from the internet as much as possible so I could still
    be surprised. There was one song that really
    surprised me, but I don't want to spoil it for others.
    2 hours 15 minutes solid...the show might have
    actually started a couple minutes early which would
    make it longer. The place was packed and constantly
    rockin'! No ballads here, just straight out kick your
    ass music.

Anyway, as you can tell, I was totally impressed. It
    was just a great experience. I hope everyone enjoys
    the shows as much as I did. I'm looking forward to
    any boots I may be able to find and any pictures that
    show up. Just a great night.

It feels great to be a Van Halen fan again.

-Scott
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

There was nothing wrong at all with this show. Alex was A mazing. Eddie shredded, After the first four songs I was happy enough.
    Dave was superb. Hope they are this ON for wednesday.
    Wolfie had a blast. It's neat seeing Ed's kid up there jamming.
    Get rid of the inflatible microphone though,lol.
    But damn I am still hurting from that show! Don't have my voice back yet either.
    AWESOME
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!