Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid cars

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Default Hybrid cars

Got an email from Chevrolet about things going on in Chevy world, and one of the items was that the 2008 Malibu will be offered as a hybrid. But then there was this line: Malibu Hybrid has an EPA-estimated MPG of 24 city/32 highway, and Malibu Hybrid comes with an 8-year/100,000-mile (whichever comes first) warranty on specific hybrid components (see dealer for details).. That mileage is no better than my 2006 4-cyl (which the hybrid will be as well) Malibu gets! Hell, that little MPG thing on the display hit "40" one time on I-95! So what's the deal - aren't hybrids supposed to get a lot more mileage? What would be holding the Malibu hybrid back from getting that higher mileage?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I've wanted to use this clip forever. I know, it barely fits the thread, yet what the hell.

Simpsons - The Electric Car (:26)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

The Malibu hybrid is what is called a mild hybrid. The electric motor just enhances the gas motor, versus a true bybrid, in which the electric motor does as much (if not more) work then the gas engine.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

So then, what's the point? Is it strictly a marketing ploy, or is there actually a benefit to the hybrid?

Was in Victoria, British Columbia last week and a lot of the taxis there are hybrids - saw some (tiny!) electric cars as well.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

The mild hybrid system does improve gas milage, marginally. Is it worth the added cost? That is the buyer's decision

Even though I am a GM fan, I look at it as more of a marketting ploy. Now, the two mode hybrid system that the full size SUVs (Suburbans, Tahoes) and Silverados will have in 2008 look really slick. The 2008 Tahoe hybrid has an EPA mileage of 21 or 22 mpg in the city. That is a 50% improvement over the standard Tahoe.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 2,212 Times in 1,116 Posts

Premium Member

For now, Hybrids are just a bunch of BS. They cost $10,000 more for marginally better gas mileage. When you do the math, it would take over 150,000 miles to even get your money back for the additional cost, much less see a benefit from it.

I looked into hybrids when I was purchasing my car, but after a quick calculation, saw that my money actually went farther with my brand new Mustang. That and a Mustang is so much cooler.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 319 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Now THERE'S an interesting debate. Mustang...hybrid...Mustang...hybrid, what DO I do?

Just not a debate I would have expected to ever see.

Yeah, I got a hybrid. It's a hybrid between a nice family wagon and a muscle car. 340 hp, gets 16 mpg on average. Gotta love THAT.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Actually my car gets about 21 (avg) and that's from stop and go traffic to and from work (most of the time).

I looked at hybrids because I hate that we as a country are dependant on oil, so I thought maybe I should put up or shut up. I had an open mind about it, but the fact is it just isn't cost effective. If they had a Mustang that was a hybrid for about 1,500 more, I would have bought that.

The problem is, right now it's more about idealogy and feeling good about yourself (not that it's a bad thing), but until it becomes cost effective to go hybrid where consumers see a real return on their investment, it'll just be a VERY small price of the auto market pie.

I'm hoping my next car (about 7-8 years down the line) will be a full on hydrogen or biofuel car (again, as long as I can afford it).

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    The problem is, right now it's more about idealogy and feeling good about yourself (not that it's a bad thing), but until it becomes cost effective to go hybrid where consumers see a real return on their investment, it'll just be a VERY small price of the auto market pie.
    That's about it. "Hybrid" has become a marketing term.

I think many of the people driving the more efficient hybrids are the same people who drove Civics (getting 45mpg) fifteen years ago.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate to say this, and I'm not trying to bash because I'm close with a lot of people in the auto industry.

But, America's big 3 are no where near other manufacturers in how to get this technology to work appropriately. There has been NO INCENTIVE for the big 3 to get into this segment. The Prius opened a lot of eyes. And, by judging from the consumer response, the big 3 are "slapping" "hybrids" together.

I hate to say it, but if this technology is truly the next step towards freeing us from the oil dependencies we have, we in America are WAY behind with this technology. I think it can be proven by what has already been said on this board. American car companies are using it for a marketing ploy because they have to. Toyota is making it work percentage-wise a great deal more than we are. If I was GM (for example), I'd try to get ties back with Toyota and try to get some of what they've learned with the Prius. That way, at least we might be on the right track.

OH! The one thing we don't need to learn though is to learn how to make an UGLY hybrid. Why the hell is every enviro-concious car uglier than last night's turkey loaf?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

One other thing to keep in mind when considering a hybrid car:

Yes, they do not use as much gasoline as a conventionally powered car.

However, their batteries are basically little self-contained toxic waste dumps. What happens to all of these batteries when they lose their power? They get dumped into landfills, oceans, and only God knows where else. That's great for the environment......

Also, when it comes time to replace the batteries (Most of them last for 80 - 100,000 miles), it can cost well over $5000 to replace them. There goes all the money you saved on gas, and then some.

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    So then, what's the point? Is it strictly a marketing ploy, or is there actually a benefit to the hybrid?

Was in Victoria, British Columbia last week and a lot of the taxis there are hybrids - saw some (tiny!) electric cars as well.

Easy - it's to ease the consumers mind about the 'man-made' global warming myth.

See what a fictional film (I mean documentary ) with no scientific proof by a former vice president, a well executed propaganda plan, lots of activism, and some Hollywood hype can do to a car company.

Global warming is happening because mother earth says so. Just like she has for billions of years.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

A hit and run in a thread about cars? That's funny!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Now THERE'S an interesting debate. Mustang...hybrid...Mustang...hybrid, what DO I do?

Just not a debate I would have expected to ever see.

Yeah, I got a hybrid. It's a hybrid between a nice family wagon and a muscle car. 340 hp, gets 16 mpg on average. Gotta love THAT.
    uggggggggh go for the 'stang!!!!!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Oh don't worry, I did. Haven't regretted it once. Besides, I would just feel like a fairy driving a hybrid cranking "Unchained."