Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

Default Eddie 2007 > Eddie 2004

It is unreal to see the change in Eddie's playing. It is like 2004 never happened. I know this has been covered and it is clearly obvious to everyone that Eddie is rocking incredibly, but wow! Blows me away.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I dont' agree with any of the decisions ed's made over the last few years but regardless if Ed is sober he's the best guitar player on the planet, I hope he stays sober and does well for himself and for his son.

His playing and preformance in 04 was-at least at the end of the tour-terrible and he should be ashamed of himself, Sam, Mike and Al should get a trophy for playing as well as they did....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah I remember seeing them in 04 for the first time in my life. I couldn't believe how bad Ed was at simple things. His chords were all over the place, his solos were abysmal, and his singing was just screaming "SAMMY!!" into the mike. It was horrible. I remember one moment in particular where he effed up the last solo in Dreams--a simple tapping riff most guitarists including myself could play in our sleep--and he was in completely the wrong key and wasn't even tapping the right shape in that key.

During the show I was hyped to see them the first time it didn't really hit me until after the show when I thought back at how many "cringe" moments he had.

I remember thinking that I could play better than what I just saw, and that is by no means a glaring review of my own guitar skills.

That is why these reports, videos, and reviews are so refreshing to me. I am taking my fiance (who never understands my fascination with VH) to the St. Louis show, and I really want her to see why I think Van Halen is so awesome.

I think I might just get the show I was dreaming of
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think, from a fan's perspective...
    Ed clearly did not want to tour with Sam & Mike,
    and that holdout (for Mike) that Sam did was the last straw...
    ..ultimatums tend to have the opposite effect on people than what they intend.

I think he just took a piss on (nearly) the entire tour, becasue his heart was clearly not there at all.

I say nearly, because when I saw him play in SD that tour...he was so on fire with his playing it was like a shining moment of clarity in the entire tour...he ROCKED.

Sam was pissed off by that point in the tour, and it showed.
    Sang a bunch of tunes with his hair in his face, so he didn't have to look at the crowd,
    usually when doing a Roth tune...

Fast foward to last night in Charlotte...
    He's obviously VERY pumped for this tour, be it Wolf, Dave or whatEVER is stokin' his fire....
    and his playing reflects that...
    Ed wears his heart on his guitarneck...if he ain't into it, his playing reflects it to a big degree...
    Last edited by LOC; 09.28.07 at 12:15 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post

During the show I was hyped to see them the first time it didn't really hit me until after the show when I thought back at how many "cringe" moments he had.

I remember thinking that I could play better than what I just saw, and that is by no means a glaring review of my own guitar skills.

Yep, I had the same experience when I saw VH for the first time back in '04. I couldn't believe how sloppy Eddie was playing. It was almost like it wasn't really him.

However, I'm totally PUMPED about going to see them next Wednesday in Phili. And IMO, I think that we have Wolfgang to thank for all of this. I truly believe that he's the main reason why Eddie is sober, playing well, and that this tour is even happening.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I missed the 2004 tour as I was changing jobs/moving. I wanted to go but am glad I didn't. I've seen VH lots through the years starting with the Diver Down tour. The best I've seen EVH play was 1984. The worst was 1993 (RHRN Tour) at Cal Expo in Sacramento. Sammy was joking about how Eddie was wasted but the sad thing is that it was noticable. I don't know how that compared to the worst show of 04 but when Eddie is on, watch out. When he's not, you feel cheated because his reputation dictates high expectations. I'm encouraged by whats been reported thus far. Looking forward to the 14th.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 850 Times in 398 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Yeah I remember seeing them in 04 for the first time in my life. I couldn't believe how bad Ed was at simple things. His chords were all over the place, his solos were abysmal, and his singing was just screaming "SAMMY!!" into the mike. It was horrible. I remember one moment in particular where he effed up the last solo in Dreams--a simple tapping riff most guitarists including myself could play in our sleep--and he was in completely the wrong key and wasn't even tapping the right shape in that key.

That is why these reports, videos, and reviews are so refreshing to me. I am taking my fiance (who never understands my fascination with VH) to the St. Louis show, and I really want her to see why I think Van Halen is so awesome.

I think I might just get the show I was dreaming of
    I saw them 6 times in '04. I saw them last night. Ed was better last night than all 6 shows put together from the last tour. You're in for a great night. See you at the St. Louis show.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

There is more on the line this time for Eddie than in '04. His son means the world to him and that is his motivation. DLR would not be doing this if Ed wasn't 100% committed to this tour. Just a theory.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 550 Times in 382 Posts

well duh to this thread.

The guy was fucked out of his gourd for the whole 04 tour and now he is sober.

End of thread.

Favorite VH Album

Best of Both Worlds
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

10.25.07 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't wait till October 3rd in Philly!!!!! EVH and DLR - together again, the way it was MEANT to be!!!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    well duh to this thread.

The guy was fucked out of his gourd for the whole 04 tour and now he is sober.

End of thread.
    Kinda says it all, dont it?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

Ed was drunk in 2004, he's not now. His playing is better. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

07.21.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bro the other reason is that is he now in a position of power, he couldnt control Sammy like he can Dave (given that Ed and Al brought Dave back in and that Dave needed the tour), and the result of that was his drunken stupor, aggressiveness, nil promo for the band or tour, nil pr with fans at soundchecks, notable distain for sam and mike onstage, crap playing and obvious disinterest.
    Now, he is coming from a position of power, has the cards in his hand with dave, knowing that Dave can ill afford to fuck up again, otherwise he will be looking for radio gigs again.
    He couldnt tell Sam what to do, heaven forbid VH being run like a democracy. Just ask Mike about that!
    "When the man comes around"
    MR CASH
    Remember, the down under brother luvs ya

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Ed always had the ultimate power in the band don't kid yourself. You remove Ed the band is officially dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cammo View Post
    Bro the other reason is that is he now in a position of power, he couldnt control Sammy like he can Dave (given that Ed and Al brought Dave back in and that Dave needed the tour), and the result of that was his drunken stupor, aggressiveness, nil promo for the band or tour, nil pr with fans at soundchecks, notable distain for sam and mike onstage, crap playing and obvious disinterest.
    Now, he is coming from a position of power, has the cards in his hand with dave, knowing that Dave can ill afford to fuck up again, otherwise he will be looking for radio gigs again.
    He couldnt tell Sam what to do, heaven forbid VH being run like a democracy. Just ask Mike about that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Ed always had the ultimate power in the band don't kid yourself. You remove Ed the band is officially dead.
    Yep, after all, Eddie is the KING!!