Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Default ***** Reviews — Greensboro, NC 9-29-07 ******

Greensboro show attendees may post reviews here. As stated in the Charlotte thread, this is only for reviews. If you did not attend the Greensboro show, post comments in the other Greensboro thread.

Non-review posts will be deleted.

This thread will open just prior to the conclusion of Saturday's concert.

Sucka is gay.
    Last edited by Scotty; 09.29.07 at 09:49 AM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.07.09 @ 06:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow absolutely mind blowing. Roth was perfect. More later

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just getting settled back in the hotel. Not sure what to say... damn good.

At the begining (I'm the One) Eddie and Dave appeared a little choked up, and I think it was genuine.

Eddie is playing with accuracy I don't remember seeing over the last couple of tours.

Only things I can say negative is that Eddie improvised the HFT solo, and I believe I did detect some "piped in" background vocals (don't remember exactly where now tho).

Probably the best VH show I have seen. I wish Mike was there.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im just in from the show and agree that it was a pretty tight set. No surprises on the setlist but I was kinda relieved to know that I wouldn't miss any of the classic gems they're playing on this tour. Dave kept it energized and Eddie seemed to be really enjoying himself. I have seen van hagar 7 times and DLR band 4 times so I went in with guarded optimism. I just missed the show in 1984 and have followed this soap opera since Reagan's first term. All in all, I left very satisfied as they did pick a great setlist. However, I'll wait should be swapped out immediately for a deep cut. In fact, I actually heard boos nearby during the intro! Also, I'm a big Mikey fan so he was sorely missed by me. Maybe we'll get a encore tour with new songs and Wolfie's own band opening. That would be passing the torch. One can dream.. Don't get me wrong, I am pulling for Wolfie and he did admirable. But it is just weird. However, I shouldn't complain as I didn't think this night would ever happen.
    Last edited by rdraughn; 09.29.07 at 09:40 PM. Reason: no shh

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

05.17.12 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am also just getting back to my hotel, but I don't expect to get much sleep tonight --I am WAY too pumped up after seeing the CONCERT OF A LIFETIME.

Honestly, how many of us really thought we would ever see Dave and Eddie team up for I'm The One, Mean Streets or Everybody Wants Some? After going through all of the ups and downs of the past several years, seeing the guys up on stage, tearing through these amazing songs, and genuinely seeming to enjoy themselves (and each other) was a surreal experience.

There was an edge, a danger, onstage tonight that has been absent from VH shows for a very long time. I am not a Sam hater; in fact, I really enjoyed Van Hagar. However, there is something about Roth-fronted Van Halen that is truly magical, and this magic was in FULL EFFECT tonight.

Now, onto the Mikey / Wolfgang issue: I came into this show a skeptic, and I could not help but feel cheated out of the "true" reunion that I have wanted for so long. However, I exited the show with a new excitement for Van Halen's future --an excitement that is based largely on Wolfie, his obvious talent, and his seemingly stabilizing influence within the band. Wolfie is a FLAT OUT player, and I can honestly say that I really don't mind Mike not being involved (even though I am a big MA fan), because the music is tight, and there was not any of the tension /weird vibe onstage that permeated the 2004 shows. It seemed like Ed spent a lot of time in 2004 "huddled" with Alex, or keeping to himself. However, this show he was much more animated (I saw 4 shows in '04, so I have some perspective), tonight he played around more with his band mates --especially Wolfie, of course-- and he moved around stage more (although he needs to lose the wires!!!) Based on what I saw tonight, I would have to say that Wolfie appears to be good for the band, and one of the key reasons for this regrouping with Roth. I know it has been said before on these boards, and I will echo the thought that if it takes Wolfie in the band to bring this all together, than so be it.

Ed's playing tonight was solid. It was not perfect, but it was much better than I had (candidly) expected out of him. Moreover, seeing him in person, move and play like he did tonight, makes you shake your head in amazement after everything the guy has gone through. He is still one of the greatest living players, and tonight he continually drove this point home. Moreover, he had an ease and sense of happiness about him that shined through in his playing (even in his interaction with Roth --whowuddathunk?)

Now, onto Mr. Diamond David Lee Roth: he was, quite simply, the man. If I didn't know better, I would think that all of the sub-par DLR videos on You Tube for the past several years were the work of impersonators. Because the front man I saw tonight was NOTHING like those. Dave was incredible tonight --his voice was great, his delivery was impeccable, and his shtick was tastefully applied to great effect (who would have thought "DLR" "SHTICK" and "Tastefully Applied" would ever be in the same sentence)??? Dave appears to be in the shape of his life (the guy looks incredible), and his work with a vocal coach is paying big dividends.

Alex was solid, and it made me wonder if he really has been the "glue" that somewhat held this thing together for so long? I am also amazed at the shape he is in, as he hit it VERY hard for nearly 2.5 hours.

Set list was the same as Charlotte, and the songs provided an intensity like none other I have experienced at a concert. The arena was packed, and I did not see anyone sit down for the entire show. It is just that kind of show --and edge-of-your-seat experience that leaves you wanting for more.

Based on what I saw tonight, I plan on seeing additional shows on this tour, and I hope that they record these shows for a DVD --it is THAT good.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

04.22.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been waiting 23 years for this night & I must say, it was everything I've been waiting for. In the immortal words of Jack Buck:

"I can not believe what I just saw!!!"

Some early thoughts:

--Wolfie can play! I thought it was great when he ran up to the top of that riser & the spotlight hit him for the intro to RWTD, really cool. However, that bit in the middle of "Unchained" needs to be re-worked.

--Sorry, but I missed Mike, though. While I stand on what I said above about Wolfie, I didn't get that pump from Mike that I've gotten the other 8 times I've seen VH.

--Best time I've ever seen Ed have on stage

--The big screen is okay at times, but overall is a hassle, it's so big, it distracts you from the actual show.

--Dave is without question the best front man there ever was.

It's been said over & over now, but seriously, no matter what, you have got to see this show. Don't let hang ups about Mikey or anything else stop you, I can't stress that enough...
    Last edited by Crash; 09.29.07 at 10:18 PM.
    We haven't had any real contact with each other there because we don't like each other, Pierre, and that makes for some very colorful sparks, all right. And I've got to admit, and got to say that it's inevitable, that there would be a reunion, it's one of the most hotly anticipated reunions in the history of the sport, OK? I wouldn't be surprised if it was relatively soon, on our lifetime while our clothing is still in style hopefully! Ya know it's like my Dad said, always told me, "Don't be humble, you're not that good." Dave, November 13, 2001

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.29.07 @ 11:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Worth. Every. Penny.

Seriously, I never really thought I'd have the opportunity to see VH with Dave. I remember back in the 80s when I was in college, I heard them playing while standing outside the arena down the street, and thought man, I should be in there. Fast forward 22 years or so later, and even though they look different (better, I say) and of course, the addition of Wolfie...like somebody else said in the thread, there's something about this now that seems stable. I also agree that "I'll Wait" seems to want to be replaced with something else. It just seems out of context, somehow. I'm not sure if anybody else thought "Jump" sounded a little strange, like they were off a little from the recorded keyboards, but that might have been weird audio where I was sitting. One thing's for sure, this show is *loud*. My ears are still ringing 3 hours later. It was also really gratifying to see a bunch of teenagers in the audience, who looked pretty stoked by the whole thing...how awesome would it be for Eddie to influence a whole new generation of guitar players, now that he's back on his game? Go see this show!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.07.09 @ 06:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I'm back. When you walk out of a show there are several general impressions that you take away. My two are this: David Lee Roth turned in a vocal and stage performance FAR surpassing anything I have ever heard either live or on any of the myriad of bootlegs floating around. And Wofgang may be the glue that gets Ed through the tour happy and under control.

I purposely shielded myself from the setlist until tonight and it was everything you would ever want. Still no Drop Dead Legs though. There are several fun and interesting twists to more than a few of the songs courtesy of Dave and Ed. All the songs were succinct without the Roth BS of years past. This man was a professional tonight. My personal Favorite was Little Guitars. Loved the tone of that guitar. Hated the key of Pretty Women. I'll Wait was a nice surprise though apparently not a lot of people around here like it.

Ed had a smile on his face the entire time and stayed true to some songs while improvising more (for better or worse) on others. Alex continues to effortlessly be a model for rock drummers everywhere. Wolfgang just needs to get used to playing in front of 20K everynight at age 16. He did a fine job and I'm sure will be more engaging as the tour progresses.

This is Van Halen 2007, not 1984....for the better for sure. The fact that Wolfgang is present and a new Dave reigns make the band fresh again. I personally don't miss Mike in the least. New music from these four I think would be extremely exciting.

If you are logging into this board then you are more of a VH fan than 99% of the people at the show tonight and to say you don't want to go because it's not a 'real reunion' or 'I'm just not excited' is well.......

Get yourselves to the show....it's the best you will see in a real long time.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.24.11 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back home- ears are still ringing!
    WOW! WOW! WOW!

Much better than I thought it was gonna be- Just incredible energy in that arena from the second they took the stage. I was extremely surprised with how Dave sounded, his vocals were way stronger than I expected. He did about 6-7 high leg kicks & pretty much looked like a kid in a candy store all nite! Eddie, what can I say- flawless, mind blowing, but do have to agree that Solos other than "Eruption" could be a bit more entertaining. The Kid-sounded just fine, but very stiff & nervous for about the first third, then really started to loosen up & have fun. I think he'll just keep getting more relaxed each show.
    I'm too tired to say much more but Our seats were superb! 2nd row from the floor on the side of stage even with the ramp. I really think these were some of the best seats in the house- I don't know why some people are obsessed with being on the floor. Unless you are in the first few rows from the stage or right next to the ramp- our vantage point is far better than the floor & we paid regular price! I feel sorry for some people in 4 star that were 20 rows back on the floor- those seats were way back there. I feel like if your gonna go all the way to a show- you might as well be spoiled.
    Anyway- anyone still on the fence about seeing them -GO!! You would have to be dead to be dissapointed! Terrific setlist, flowed very nicely even "Jump"
    sounded a bit harder live. Another small criticism, I heard some other people say the drum solo was boring- I'd have to agree- good time for a bathroom break.
    And good lord, I've never seen so many 40-50 year olds wearing baseball caps, drunk, holding beer, playing air guitar.
    Cameras again very easy to bring in for anyone thinking about it. Security was about as tight as I've seen it as far as making sure drunk ass fucks weren't standing right in front of your seat blocking your view. Don't even think about standing more than a foot away from your seat or you may be tossed out! 1 lucky fan in about row 6 right next to the ramp got Dave's handkerchief. He wore it around his neck the rest of the show. Dave slapped hands with some other fans in front of the ramp as he circled it about 6 or 7 times. He also picked a hot 1 in the front row & said he wanted to "ease the seat back & stick his hand betwwen her legs". I wonder if he's with her right now?
    Enough!- bed time. Just go to the show ASAP!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.11.08 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was just fucking awesome! I cannot believe how good they sounded. I last saw them in 1984 and they didn't sound that good then. Dave and Ed were just spot on the entire show. Wow! You cant imagine how well Ed played. And Dave was right on the money all the way too. These guys needed to sober up so bad. And now they sound better than ever. Man, if Ed and Dave can patch it up and create kick ass shit like this for the better good (and a fistful of dollars), there must be hope for mankind.

I hear the youtube stuff from the rehearsals before hand, read the reviews from the Charlotte gig, and so I had very high expectations. Still, this is one of the best rock concerts I have ever seen. Seriously, I don't think they've sounded better EVER, or at least since their club days.

The moments were many. In the middle of "I'm the one" Ed and Dave hugs and get teary eyed. Probably because they knew they'd hit a homerun ; the crowd was ecstatic from the first moment on. It just went on and on. Classic after classic. On the way out of the arena the guys were chanting "hey hey... yeaa." You'll kid yourself if you think that was just the beer talking.

ps. Wolfie was fine. But I don't really care. This was all about Dave and Ed getting their act together. And boy, did they ever. GO SEE THIS SHOW GUYS!!!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 565 Times in 307 Posts

Donor

Just got back. This show, like the one two nights ago in Charlotte, was awesome.

If it wasn't an official sellout, it might as well have been. I checked today and there were only single tickets available behind the stage...and they looked full, too...those people were as pumped as us folks down low!!

Same setlist.

Wolfgang looked much more comfortable. We sat on his side, so we were pretty close to him. He made eye contact and smiled at us a lot more, pumped his fists several times, and was generally more animated than in Charlotte.
    I watched his fingers a lot...that kid can PLAY. Then remember he's 16 and will only get better.

Eddie came over to Wolf's side a few more times than in Charlotte....a really touching moment during "I'll Wait", when we say Eddie say to Wolf "I love you", with a huge grin on his face.

I do miss Mikey, but I really am starting to think that Eddie wanting to play with his son was almost as big a factor as whatever beef he had with Mikey was.

Not as much feedback tonight. Several technical snafus, but no big deal. It'll happen from time to time.

During the break in "I'm The One", where they let the crowd just roar with adulation, Dave and Eddie both were either wiping tears away, or pretending to.
    I think they might really have been emotional...they held that pause in the music a lot longer than in Charlotte, and the crowd got louder and louder...Dave mouthed that he couldn't sing...he and Eddie looked at each other and both pointed to their faces and wiped tears. Then after the music started back, Dave was still shaking his head and occasionally wiping his eyes.

Anyone who's on the fence still, get off it, and get your ass to a show.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Wow!!! Great reviews guys. I can't wait until Wednesday.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.02.07 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amazing again. I will be riding the high for weeks.

In reference to the Charlotte thread, Alex does not do the kick-tom intro to "Hot For Teacher", but tonight he kind've incorporated it into his drum solo. There is the abbrieviated intro though.

I wasn't so down with the drum solo in Charlotte but tonight I was mesmerized. Its all subjective I guess, but tonight Alex's playing as a whole seemed a little looser (in a positive sense) and even more kick-ass than thursday's.

Eddie and Dave I cannot praise enough. Read the good things people have said and believe them.

The same goes for Van Halen the Younger, he's really holding up.

While the energy and magnitude of the debut were unique, tonight I felt like they begun to loosen up and maybe take a few more chances. I can only imagine this will improve the show as the tour progresses.

So many highights... the pause in "I'm the One" - you'll see what happens, I hope it keeps happening throughout the whole tour (check out Youtube from charlotte, appreciate the devil horns), "Little Guitars" (my first favorite song off my first LP ever - fucking awesome. tonight eddie pulled out a knee-slide), and the crowd energy/personal endorphin rush during "Dance the Night Away". That song just sounded SO right on both nights. Perfectly placed in the set.

Every song is a highlight. 150 minutes of in-the-moment energy, fun, and rock 'n' roll.

Tonight during Eddie's solo on "I'm the One" he was getting down, with Dave shakin behind him. Looking at the big screen you could clearly see Dave scream "MOTHERFUCKER! ROCK IT!" to the back of Eddie's head. They were getting off, authentic style.

I've got two Buddies who saw the 1984 tour and declined invitations to the reunion because they were 'purists' who didn't want to believe that this tour was gonna be worth its weight. Right now they're admittedly eating crow, and regretting. Don't be that guy.

I've always liked clubs, never arenas. Now that I've seen arena rock as it should be I'm forced to rework my perspective. This show is balls-out fantastic.

Last Online

12.30.14 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default DON'T LET IT SLIP BY!!!

IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE!!!!

Last night was by far the best VH performance I've ever seen! The energy, the set list, the sound, and the seemingly genuine happiness in the band made this a monumental occasion. Honestly, I don't see how they could ever top this! Even if they go on to release new albums and do more world tours down the road, nothing will be able to quite compare to this event!

THE COLESIUM: Place was absolutely packed to the gills. I went into the show with some trepidation about the sound cause the '04 show sounded like shit in there. However, last night the sound was great. And yeah my ears are still ringing at 8:30 the next morning!

ED: Can't really say much more than what everyone else has already said. He was spot-on in his playing. I've read some reviews where people said they didn't care for his solo so much, but I thought it was great! He pulled out the riffs you expect to hear (and should hear during an EVH solo) and added some new interesting stuff as well. 1000 times better than '04!

ALEX: As usual, rock solid and I expected no less. Somebody commented in another thread that Alex looked tired. What do you expect? The man absolutely pounded the shit out of the drums for over 2 hours. And I thought he did play the entire intro to HFT last night but I'm not a drummer so there may be some technical thing that he didn't do? Didn't matter though. The crowd new what was coming when he started it!

WOLFIE: Like many others, I am impressed by this young kid. He can obviously play but has a long ways to go on his stage presence. One thing that I noticed last night was that he often stood playing in front of his mic with kind of a blank stare on his face. Then Ed would come over to Wolf's side of the stage and suddenly Wolfie would come alive. I think Ed needs to interact with Wolfie more on stage to help bring him out of his shell. As for the "Unchained" deal, yeah Wofie screwed the line up really bad last night. I think he screwed it up even worse than what I read about in the Charlotte reviews. Maybe they should just go back to the original line "C'mon Dave, give me a break". Let's continue to provide updates on "the line" as the tour progresses and see how he's doing!

DAVE: Just like the sound in the arena, I went into the show with some trepidation about how Dave was going to sound. Especially when the Mean Street video from the rehearsals surfaced the other day. Sorry, but I did not like what I heard from Dave in that rehearsal video clip at all. However, last night set aside any doubts I had. He sounded great! In fact, I think his best vocal performance of the night was on "I'll Wait". I know a lot of people would like to see that song canned from the set but Dave sounded amazing on it! I don't know about the whole inflatable microphone deal. Should have done that somewhere in the middle of the show instead of during the encore.

BOTTOM LINE: Listen, all you linkers, lurkers, moderators, and even emperors of VH Links. GET YOUR ASS OUT TO SEE THIS SHOW!!! DON'T LET IT SLIP BY!! This is a VH show that will go down as one for the ages and you will be sorry if you miss it!
    MY VH SHOWS:

08/07/1982 - Kemper Arena - KC, MO
    06/20/1984 - Kemper Arena - KC, MO
    05/30/1986 - Kemper Arena - KC, MO
    05/31/1986 - Kemper Arena - KC, MO
    07/10/1988 - Arrowhead Stadium - KC, MO
    08/25/1991 - Riverport Amphitheatre - St Louis, MO
    08/26/1991 - Sandstone Amphitheatre - KC
    04/15/1992 - St. Louis Arena - St Louis, MO
    07/27/1993 - Sandstone Amphitheatre - KC
    07/21/1995 - Sandstone Amphitheatre - KC
    07/18/1998 - Sandstone Amphitheatre - KC
    07/11/2004 - Greensboro Coliseum - Greensboro, NC
    09/29/2007 - Greensboro Coliseum - Greensboro, NC
    04/21/2012 - Greensboro Coliseum - Greensboro, NC

Last Online

10.11.16 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Well just like Thursday Van Halen came saw and kicked ass had floor seats today the sound was crisp clean and loud Eddie what can I say he is the GOD DAMN BEST GUITAR PLAYER EVER!!!!!
    Dave was greaaaaaaate again and Alex just simply kicks fucking ass oh and wolfie was good too!!!!!!
    gotmore video but no complete songs security was a lot tighter here I got kicked out while taping but there was only 2 songs left

IF YOU DON'T GO TO THIS SHOW BECAUSE MIKEY ISN'T THERE YOUR A DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT FOR DETROIT!!!!!!!!