12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default The bra turns 100 years old

The bra turns 100 years old - with no signs of sagging

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...th_no_sig.html

BY PATRICK HUGUENIN

Thursday, September 27th 2007, 4:00 AM

The 100th birthday of the bra has arrived.

Though women (and a few good men) have been wrapping up their ta-tas since ancient Greece, it wasn't until 1907 that Vogue magazine first used the word brassiere.

In the 100 years that followed, the bra has been through hills and valleys. Here's our time line of the development of the lingerie we love.

1907 The term "brassiere," from a French word used to denote a soldier's arm guard or shield, is used to describe the undergarmet in Vogue magazine.

1911 The word enters the Oxford English Dictionary.

1914 The first brassiere patent is awarded to New York socialite Mary Phelps Jacob. She quickly loses interest and sells the patent to the Warner Brothers Corset Company in Bridgeport, Conn., for $1,500. In the years that follow, Warner will pull in around $15 million.

1925 Maidenform, founded by Russian immigrant Ida Rosenthal and dressmaker pal Enid Bisset, opens its first plant in Bayonne, N.J. Rosenthal is often credited with having invented cup sizes - though some attribute that bright idea to her husband, William.

1937 Lana Turner's form-fitting attire in "They Won't Forget" reveals that bra technology has increased lift and pointy, separate positioning - and earns her the nickname the "Sweater Girl." "This change came about at a time when no one was wearing such tight clothes," says Rebecca Apsan, owner of New York lingerie shop La Petite Coquette and author of "The Lingerie Handbook." "Naturally, she appealed to men."

1946 The first ever bikini hits the Paris catwalk, designed by French engineer Louis Réard and fashion designer Jacques Heim. Some say they named the suit after the Bikini atoll, a nuclear weapons test site in the Marshall Islands, thinking that it would cause quite an explosion. They were right.

1965 Controversial designer Rudi Gernreich - inventor of 1964's "topless bathing suit" - turns his attention to the bra. He comes up with the "no bra" bra, made of see-through stretch netting. It is a retail hit, playing to the flat, boyish silhouette of the 1960s. Pointy is out!

1968 A protest of the 1968 Miss America Pageant gives rise to the legend of feminist bra burning. Though women at the Atlantic City protest filled a "freedom trash can" with bras, girdles, high heels, makeup and hairspray, it was not set alight because no fire permit could be obtained. Misworded reports - such as one from hapless New York Post journalist Lindsay van Gelder - spread like the fire that might have been.

1970 Feminist author Germaine Greer becomes a household name with her best seller "The Female Eunuch." According to Greer, "Bras are a ludicrous invention, but if you make bralessness a rule, you're just subjecting yourself to yet another repression." Despite the clarifying second half of her statement, Greer is linked to the myth of bra-burning as a symbol of radical feminism.

1977 Lisa Lindahl, a 28-year-old grad student at the University of Vermont, sews an athletic bra out of two jock straps and takes it for a test jog with fit friend Hinda Miller. The sports bra is born.

1977 Victoria's Secret is founded in San Francisco after Stanford MBA Roy Raymond realizes men might be more comfortable shopping for their girlfriends via catalogue.

1990 Jean Paul Gaultier designs a golden, pointy cone bra for Madonna to wear on her Blond Ambition concert tour. "The design itself is brilliant," says Apsan, "but Madonna made it famous. She took shapewear out of the bedroom and onto the streets of America."

1991 Wonderbra, though first trademarked in 1935, is reintroduced to a huge resurgence. By 1994, the bra's "Hello Boys" ad campaign featuring Eva Herzigova gazing down at her bosom, gives the line a huge profile.

2004 During a now infamous half-time Super Bowl performance with Justin Timberlake, Janet Jackson experiences a "wardrobe malfunction" and reveals that she is not wearing a bra. She does, however, show 100 million Americans the bra's distant cousin, the nipple shield.

2007 In the moments before her disastrous "comeback" performance at the MTV Video Music Awards, Britney Spears reportedly ditches her costume for a black, sparkly bra and panty set. We're quite sure this is one brassiere you won't be seeing in Vogue.

To celebrate, I think the women of the Links should post pics of their sexiest bras.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default From SFGate.com

Maybe this thief was in a celebratory mood:

Thief Manages to Lift About 350 Bras

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

(09-26) 13:07 PDT Flagstaff, Ariz. (AP) --

A thief with a hankering for sexy undergarments slipped off with hundreds of bras from a Victoria's Secret store in broad daylight.

Police in Flagstaff say they're taking a close look at how the thief managed to take off with about 350 bras while the store was open. The anti-theft tags hooked on the bras did not trigger a store alarm.

The theft from the store at the Flagstaff Mall on Sunday was not captured by surveillance cameras, police said. They suspect the items may be resold, and are monitoring Internet auction sites.

The bras are worth an estimated $15,000.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    To celebrate, I think the women of the Links should post pics of their sexiest bras.
    Zeo, that would be rather pointless in my opinion. A far better option would be for our female Linkers to post pictures of their sexiest bras while they are wearing them.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    Outstanding, ZH.

But only the ones they model....an empty bra is a sad bra.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Haha.. dream on fellas!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

BOOB THREAD!!!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Zeo, that would be rather pointless in my opinion. A far better option would be for our female Linkers to post pictures of their sexiest bras while they are wearing them.
    I didn't want to be presumptuous. (sp?)
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Lol...Nice try! Ain't gonna happen!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To make it fair, we have guys in bras as well. Check out the "gal" on the right (no that's not me). Now isn't that something you want to see?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Looper guy, Are you positive that's not you? Lol...That is FANTASTIC! I love it !!!

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Wow! 100 years old!! Isn't that something. They must be hanging well below the waistline right about now.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Looper guy, Are you positive that's not you? Lol...That is FANTASTIC! I love it !!!
    Trust me. If you saw a picture of me in a bra, !