Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.17.11 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dave and Eddie get choked up.

I didn't see this in any of the reviews, but I thought some people around here would like this anecdote. I'm also wondering if other people who went to tonight's show saw it.

The show was very high-octane, and they tore through 'You Really Got Me' without much comment from the band afterward. But the applause was deafening, and the band was clearly feeling it.

By the end of 'I'm the One', Dave and Eddie were overwhelmed by the emotion of the moment. I can't blame them, we in the audience were ecstatic and couldn't believe we had actually lived to see this.

Dave said something to the effect of not waiting 20 years for this to give it a bad effort, but by then he was actually near tears. I don't know how many people noticed this, as I was a 5-star and on the 3rd row (nor do I know how many people in the 5-star are on the forums).

But from where I was sitting, it was a very poignant moment. I could see tears welling up in Dave's eyes, and Eddie got emotional for a second too and his eyes looked wattery.

That moment seemed to express for me all that emotion from both inside the band and all these years in just a few seconds. It was a beautiful thing right after a rousing perfromance of 'I'm the One' an ecstatic crowd participation in the chorus.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Didn't seem that way to me. Not saying they weren't choked up, but I was looking right at them and didn't notice it.

And what he said was "It took us 20 years to get this far".

I hope it did mean that much to them. Hopefully, this tour goes well the whole time and they can't wait to get in the studio to record a new album.
    Last edited by Pacfanweb; 09.28.07 at 12:53 AM.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Germany, about 5 Miles away from the North Sea
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me wise Magic
    Last Online

03.14.08 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice to read that Dave and Ed were happy

The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love & Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.07 @ 01:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by George M View Post
    I didn't see this in any of the reviews, but I thought some people around here would like this anecdote. I'm also wondering if other people who went to tonight's show saw it.

The show was very high-octane, and they tore through 'You Really Got Me' without much comment from the band afterward. But the applause was deafening, and the band was clearly feeling it.

By the end of 'I'm the One', Dave and Eddie were overwhelmed by the emotion of the moment. I can't blame them, we in the audience were ecstatic and couldn't believe we had actually lived to see this.

Dave said something to the effect of not waiting 20 years for this to give it a bad effort, but by then he was actually near tears. I don't know how many people noticed this, as I was a 5-star and on the 3rd row (nor do I know how many people in the 5-star are on the forums).

But from where I was sitting, it was a very poignant moment. I could see tears welling up in Dave's eyes, and Eddie got emotional for a second too and his eyes looked wattery.

That moment seemed to express for me all that emotion from both inside the band and all these years in just a few seconds. It was a beautiful thing right after a rousing perfromance of 'I'm the One' an ecstatic crowd participation in the chorus.
    I'm responding to like everything you type tonight for some reason lol anyway man that is such a cool post. Someone else did mention this in another post. Thats really amazing to hear. As a long time classic VH fanatic I'm blown away and thrilled VH is back! thanks man! WOW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I have both goosebumps and chills!!!

I'm literally speechless and cannot believe this 'tis actually happenin'?!?!?!?!?

23 years after seeing them for the first time, I'm just as giddy and stoked as back then!!!

Also, hearin' about the boy giving Dave a hug prior to the drum solo is fucking EPIC!!!

Someone else already posted this but had it not been for Wolfie, this extravaganza prolly wouldn't have gotten off the ground!!!

Oh boy........................

"DAVE OR THE GRAVE!!!" and not one of us nor them 'tis in the ground!!!
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles1977 View Post
    Nice to read that Dave and Ed were happy

It most definitely is. I have tears in my eyes, that's so sweet. God bless them!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Well I know that must have been a moving moment for all of them, not just Dave and Ed. Man I got goosebumps just thinking about it.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

I can only hope for all of us, is that Ed and Dave keep their drive and egos all in check. With any luck, time has made them both a little wiser and has them both realizing the importance they all are in the history of Rock and Roll.

And God willing, I pray that Edward keeps his drinking demons away. I'm sure they will always be there, but with Dave's and esp Wolfie's influence, I can only hope that Ed has a new outlook on his life and his inspiration is strong.

NO MORE DAVE vs ED.

HH<----Is really happy for all of you going to see these guys---------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

That's great to hear and I hope that bodes well for the future....this tour and possibly an album.
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

I think Dave and Ed are not the only ones feeling the emotion - a lot of us die hards are a little choked up about this tour.

Great Stuff !!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.24.08 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Saw show with 10 year old son

My son's 10 year old impression of last nights show was "It's the best concert I've ever seen"... that may sound funny because he's 10, but he's an aspireing guitar player and pretty good at it. He has had the opportunity to see four major concerts in the past year, including Aerosmith, RHCP(x2), Nickelback, and Rush.

As for me, I'm a product of late 70's early 80's VH. I hated every minute of Van "Haggar" including that nic-name. HOWEVER, I was converted to a lifelong fan of Sammy during the Sam and Dave tour after seeing both singers. Sammy blew Dave away then. Dave looked old and out of shape and almost silly. This actually saddened me a bit because I am a DLR Van Halen fan. I called myself a "convert" after seeing Sammy, well now, I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

I'm so happy Dave is back and now know he is and always will be the VOICE of VAN HALEN, PERIOD! Eventhough I still love Sammy as just Sammy.

Dave's voice was strong last night (more in the beginning than the end..but hey, he's in his 50's right?) He looked strong, and the rapport between him and Eddie was great! The stage set up was good, the set list perfect, and even the cheezy inflatable microphone was Showman Dave style, so it is forgiven. I'm glad I got to be part of the very first arena show in and I am already looking for tickets to Greenboro tomorrow! History was made here in Charlotte last night.

My 10 year old son who learned to play the main courds from Eruption (at a slow pace) on a 50.00 bet was blown away by Eddie's talent. He even asked me, "why is Jimmy Hendrix the greatest guitar player, not Eddie Van Halen?". My answer,... Of course that is only an opinion...and my opinion is that Eddie is the Greatest ever! (apologies to John Frushanti ...we still love you too).