Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.08.08 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default A Question For Guitarists

Based on the rehearsal pictures it appears Eddie will be using a cord again for the 3rd straight tour. In the past he always used a wireless connection. I don't know anything about guitars, so my question is, do you get a better sound from using a cord? I was talking to someone about wireless connections a few years ago and he told me the wireless leads to sound dropouts quite frequently. Doe anyone know if that is true? When Eddie uses the cord he is limited to his side of the stage and he won't be able to walk down the "S" shaped catwalk. On the '04 tour I read he had countless problems with the cord falling out of the guitar and the cord constantly getting tangled in his pedals.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

I'm no guitar genius like Andrew or some of the other guys here...but I guess a cord just provides a more direct chain ie. Guitar...pedals...amp....and that it gives you a more full sound...whereas wireless there is that gap and it diminishes the true sound of the amp and guitar....

I don't know....that's what I'm thinking....

I'n 04 he did have problems...ie..tripping over his cord...whipping it around his pedal board....etc......and quite frankly his sound on the 2004 tour sucked in my opinion...
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He used a wireless in 1986 - anyone have a problem with the guitar tone on Live Without A Net? Sounded fine to me.

I think he's just way too crazy. I'm sure no one would know the difference in an arena of 19,000 people.

I think it's an excuse not to jump around a lot.

Any thoughts on how long in to the tour Eddie starts showing up on stage with a bottle of Smoking Loon. Glad I'm seeing them in Philly on 10/1.

Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danward5150 View Post
    He used a wireless in 1986 - anyone have a problem with the guitar tone on Live Without A Net? Sounded fine to me.

I think he's just way too crazy. I'm sure no one would know the difference in an arena of 19,000 people.

I think it's an excuse not to jump around a lot.

Any thoughts on how long in to the tour Eddie starts showing up on stage with a bottle of Smoking Loon. Glad I'm seeing them in Philly on 10/1.
    not sure if it makes any difference, but I think there will be much more other wireless devices in the audience compared to 86.. could that interfere?

Either way, most guitarist believe that wireless systems suck tone, so that must be the real reason.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My son bought a wireless rig 2 yrs ago. Me thinks its collecting dust right now. It did sound different to me, kinda flat.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.09 @ 07:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to use a wireless system on my larger (larger for me was like 500-1000 so not huge or anything like that) and I found them to be fairly unreliable. I had a pretty decent Nady one too...

And a funny story, I saw Steve Vai perform in Buffalo on monday night and his wireless crapped out right when he was supposed to come in... He threw his hands up in the air and you could here him yelling "nononono".. Anyway long story short he walked over to a mic with the little box in his hand and said, "this is called a wireless... Everyone makes them but they all suck... I don't understand why we can put men on the moon and download videos on ipods but we can't make Steve's guitar function properly"

He insisted on a cord the rest of the night and didn't use another wireless.

It was pretty funny.. But yeah, reliability might have something to do with it

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbug View Post
    Based on the rehearsal pictures it appears Eddie will be using a cord again for the 3rd straight tour. In the past he always used a wireless connection. I don't know anything about guitars, so my question is, do you get a better sound from using a cord? I was talking to someone about wireless connections a few years ago and he told me the wireless leads to sound dropouts quite frequently. Doe anyone know if that is true? When Eddie uses the cord he is limited to his side of the stage and he won't be able to walk down the "S" shaped catwalk. On the '04 tour I read he had countless problems with the cord falling out of the guitar and the cord constantly getting tangled in his pedals.
    There's that, and I didn't read everyone's posts yet, but the preamp can tweak the main amp sound, that had something to do with it as well as far as I remember.

Honestly, I thought his tone was bitchin on the 1984 boots and Live Without a Net, and on an on, but I guess he got tired of the wireless. Even then, different brands and lengths of cables can alter your tone just like a wireless can. I wish he would go back to the wireless honestly, cause his tone sure didn't improve via going back to a cable (although there's too many other factors involved there to limit it to that).
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m4rk0 View Post
    not sure if it makes any difference, but I think there will be much more other wireless devices in the audience compared to 86.. could that interfere?
    That's a good point. I wouldn't have considered that, but there is a chance all the cell phones etc. could end up interfering with a wireless system (even though, technically, they shouldn't).

There are a lot of things about a wireless system that can affect tone. From one perspective you can say that, once the signal is pumped through all those cables until it is finally heard through the main PA, it really doesn't matter much. From another angle, the tone Eddie hears directly from his amps on stage is a product of the wireless, and if he doesn't like it he won't want to deal with it.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wireless is just fucking flaky.

period.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eds Rig

Here is an old block diagram of Eds rig circa 97 . If you notice the the guitar lead only goes into the diversity unit, not straight into the amp ! .

Doug

You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

That Vai story's funny. I pick up too many frequencies and odd noises when I run through mine. "Breaker breaker this is 109."... what the fuck? lol. I use cords all the time now.... but hate the way they coil up. I must walk in circles when I play lol. Like trying to fight off a boa constrictor.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

"To not be heard is to not exist"

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't remember where I read this but there was also something about not wanting someone to tap into the signal and record it. Add that to the issue of tone and the thing cutting out on you right in the intro to "You realy got me", first song, first show. Imagine the press that would get !

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

my experience with wireless has been a mixed bag....sometimes in smaller venues, with other venues nearby they were a real pain in the ass...i once managed to pick up another band in another bar!!!!! (an irish folk band of all things...not cool when u have 200 bikers expecting to rock out) other times ive suffered drop outs...crappy tone and general reception issues...hell u even get interfearence from the house lights in some places, other times though its been great u get to run around n mix it up with the other guys onstage a bit more...but usually its crappy (esspecially if u forget to stick a fresh battery in the transmitter....d'oh) so i use cables now if its a long run i use a signal booster to preserve tone but not often.
    the cell phone thing is a good reason but i think they interfear generally anyway...have u ever had anyone call your cell phone while its in your pocket and you've got your guitar on!!...tick tick tick tick then your ringtone comes out your amp..lol
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Edward used the wireless (Sony brand) until balance tour.
    After that he switched to cord using George L's cord and jacks. Ed said that the wireless was sucking too much bottom end.
    Of course that was 10 years ago, technology has changed, now wireless technology has become more reliable and better sounding: however there's nothing like cable.
    Be ready for my new amp "III OSIS" produced by H^3 in stores soon [that was funny in 2006]

http://myspace.com/danielbacic ...actually not anymore

www.bacic-tech.com ...gone
    www.viba-sas.it ...website of my old company... gone.

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by batch View Post
    Edward used the wireless (Sony brand) until balance tour.
    After that he switched to cord using George L's cord and jacks. Ed said that the wireless was sucking too much bottom end.
    Of course that was 10 years ago, technology has changed, now wireless technology has become more reliable and better sounding: however there's nothing like cable.
    George L's are awesome cables. I have a couple in my chain, they're cool. I haven't found a wireless system that retains the overall tone, so for now I'm on a leash.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

"To not be heard is to not exist"