Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default British Numbskull Sets Speeding Ticket Record, Thus Losing License

Motorist jailed for British speeding record

Mon Sep 24, 2:02 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - A man caught speeding at a British record of 172 miles (277 kilometres) per hour was jailed for 10 weeks on Monday.

Tim Brady, 33, from Harrow in north-west London, became the fastest person ever caught by a British speed camera for his spin in a 98,000-pound (198,000-dollar, 141,000-euro) 3.6-litre Porsche 911 Turbo in January.

He was clocked by a random speed check near Abingdon in Oxfordshire, southern England, Oxford Crown Court heard. Brady pleaded guilty to one count of dangerous driving.

His speed beat the previous record of 156 mph (251 kph) set by a car dealer in Scotland in 2003.

"Your driving was criminally self-indulgent and utterly thoughtless of the danger you might be creating for the innocent," judge David Morton Jack told Brady.

Besides his jail term, Brady was banned from driving for three years and ordered to pay 474 pounds in costs.

He resigned his job as a delivery driver for a luxury hire car firm following his arrest. He had taken the Porsche from his workplace without permission.

Brady's lawyer John Reilly said his client's high-speed antics were "foolhardy, stupid and done in a moment of weakness."

A spokesman for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said after the ruling: "This was an absolutely terrifying piece of driving. Our roads are not race tracks or for breaking speed records.

"Through his own selfishness, in what appears to be a lust for speed, he has completely disregarded the safety of others on the road."

Though the quickest ever caught by a speed trap, Brady is not the fastest person ever convicted for speeding on Britain's roads.

Motorcyclist Daniel Nicks strapped a camcorder to his helmet and filmed himself doing 175 mph in December 2000. When he crashed, police found the camera, played the tape and charged him.

But detectives are still hunting a biker who posted a video on the Internet of him speeding on a wet mountain pass road in low light at 176 mph.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/britainc...m2mwI.TUcjr7sF
    Last edited by chefcraig; 09.25.07 at 07:01 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Unbelievable. How stupid are people? Racing belongs in a controled environment, on a racetrack.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Yuppie with 911.. more money than sense and trying to be a flash boy. Serves him right! What an idiot!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

He didn't even own it. He took it from his work. He's just a delivery driver for a car dealership.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    Yuppie with 911.. more money than sense and trying to be a flash boy. Serves him right! What an idiot!
    It wasn't even his own car. "He resigned his job as a delivery driver for a luxury hire car firm following his arrest. He had taken the Porsche from his workplace without permission."

When I was working in the auto parts industry, I was frequently amazed to discover how common it was for repair personnel to damage, wreck or outright destroy customer's vehicles on a regular basis. This occurred while "borrowing" the cars for a "quick test drive", either to the 7/11 for cigarettes or to a fast food joint for a snack. At some point, these nitwits decide that they need to discover precisely "what the car can do".
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Another story about Nick Hogan?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    At some point, these nitwits decide that they need to discover precisely "what the car can do".
    ... I was working as a valet at the local persnickety country club as a teenager with my new license. I had been a caddie there for a few years, that's how I landed the valet job on weekend nights. Anyway...long story short, club visitor with a brand new 1984 'Vette (new design that year)...yada, yada, yada...that car never left the property. But boy there was a moment when I thought <just a little spin...they should be on the 5th hole by now...>

Then there was the regular member with the 1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi. She never let any of us park it for her, until that one fateful day. Full book of tee times, tennis matches, kids swim meet..ahhhhhhh a full parking lot! Here she comes...the three of us (valets) has a system of who's turn it was to take the next car. Well...guess who's turn it was! What a machine....even at 10 mph!

I would never have driven anything off the property. I was on my way to college and just didn't want to risk anything.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBeginning View Post
    ...I was working as a valet at the local persnickety country club as a teenager with my new license. I had been a caddie there for a few years, that's how I landed the valet job on weekend nights.

"NOONAN!"

George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

"NOONAN!"

Exactly!!
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

At some point, these nitwits decide that they need to discover precisely "what the car can do".
    Heck yeah, mister. Just because cars don't have carbs anymore doesn't mean we have to eliminate the beloved task of "blowing out the carbon once in awhile".

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm fully aware of what my car can do and i try and make sure it still works as many times as i can.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10