Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Going to New York - seeking advice

So, as I posted over in the tour forum, I'm combining a vacation to New York with the Van Halen New Jersey show. I'm looking for some advice about getting around in New York from anyone who lives there or knows the place.

I'm staying in a hotel in Queens (Manhattan hotels are either too expensive or dumps!) with good subway links into Manhattan. I've heard that New York and its transport systems are clean and safe these days. Is that true? Is it really safe to ride the subway alone? I'm a pretty intrepid traveller and I'm happy to use public transport wherever I am, and have used the underground systems in London and Barcelona and was always fine with them.

What about at night? Are subways safe? Is the bus service any good? I'll be getting a bus back to the Port Authority station from Meadowlands in NJ, but I reckon it'll be close to midnight by the time I get there. What's my best bet for traveling on to Queens Boulevard from there?

And if anyone has any tips for cool places to visit, apart from the obvious, then I'd be glad to hear 'em. I always like to see a bit of real life in any city I visit, as well as the usual tourist haunts.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Well, you need to go and see the hole at the World Trade Center. Even tho there's not much there, NYC has done alot to make it into a wonderful place to see, and just pay your respects. TST and I were just taken by the whole experience. Oh, and if you happen to pass by a FDNY firehouse, pop in and say, "HI".

Next, you gotta go to the, American Museum of Natural History which is located Central Park West and 79th. Great place to check out.

And just walk anywhere in Manhattan.....totally awesome. As far as the subway system, we didn't get the chance to ride it, however I'm sure someone here on the links, or even someone in NYC can give you info on it. From what I've heard from friends who just got home from NYC this week, the subway system was fine, but they rode it durning the day.......so...............

We can't wait to go back, you will love it. Enjoy the VH show as well.

HH<----PIMP THIS SPACE------------
    Last edited by Hurricane Halen; 09.25.07 at 05:07 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Gabrielle's is a WONDERFUL place to eat. A bit pricey but soooo worth it.

TST<----------ummmm Manhattan----------------

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Storm Tracey View Post
    Gabrielle's is a WONDERFUL place to eat. A bit pricey but soooo worth it.

TST<----------ummmm Manhattan----------------
    You got that right, babe. Those freakin lamb chops............sheeze.

If I'm not mistaken, Gabrielle's was in Lincoln Center in Manhatt!!! Go eat there for sure.

HH<----Hey TST, Jetblue from New Orleans to JFK, wanna go?--------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    You got that right, babe. Those freakin lamb chops............sheeze.

If I'm not mistaken, Gabrielle's was in Lincoln Center in Manhatt!!! Go eat there for sure.

HH<----Hey TST, Jetblue from New Orleans to JFK, wanna go?--------

Do you really need to ask? Of course I wanna go!

TST<---------what kinda crazy fool u think I am?------------

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.27.12 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greatest City In The World!

Glad to hear you're coming to New York.

To answer some of your questions - the subway systems ARE much safer than in years past, so don't worry about feeling in danger there unless you're either in or headed to a deserted area of town very late at night.

And if that is the case, cab rides from Manhattan to Queens really aren't as expensive as you may think...some rides as cheap as 15 - 20 bucks. Depends exactly where you're headed.

And I always tell people if you really want to experience New York - STAY OUT OF TIMES SQUARE!!!! Yes, you gotta go check it out one day, but that's it! The real New York is the bar scene on the upper west/east sides, the TONS of great restaurants, the village, central park, little Italy (tiny as it is), etc.

My favorite haunt is Kennedy's on 57th Street between 8th and 9th. I'll be there after the shows at the Garden, and New Jersey. Great Irish pub.

ENJOY the city...great place.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Find this guy, answer a few questions, get PAID!!!

HH<----For 50 dollors, "How many passengers survived the sinking of the Titanic?"----------------------

FYI linkies: I ain't payin ya..............lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

The subways are much safer and cleaner than they used to be. But if you're not 100% sure which line to take or don't feel comfortable, spend the extra $ for a cab. New Yorkers are friendlier than perceived- don't be afraid to ask any directions/questions of anyone
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Definitely pay your respects at Ground Zero. It is a humbling experience.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Ah, I was just there last week. There's not much to see at Ground Zero (just construction), but still definitely worth paying your respects. My wife and I stood there and reflected a bit. It's a very interesting course of emotions that one experiences there. My wife had never gone in the WTC, but I had years ago. I kept thinking about what the area used to look like, and how beautiful those buildings were. So sad.

But New York City is a lot of fun. You'll have a great time!! Like any city, things are very expensive, so be prepared for that. The subways are fine.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:02 AM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

People are much friendlier than they're given credit for in NYC. On our first visit several years ago, we often didn't even have to ask for directions, etc. When we looked confused, people just stopped and asked what we needed assistance with. Seriously.

The subways are perfectly safe unless it's very late and you're headed to a bad part of town, as someone mentioned earlier.

Don't know what you already have planned, but the wife and I have very fond memories of an evening dinner cruise we took around the bay. The views are absolutely spectacular. Fairly inexpensive, as well.

The Village is a great place to just wander around, too. Check that out.

Unchained
    Last Online

11.01.15 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts

FWIW, I always stay in the Big Apple Hostel in Midtwon (just off Times Square). Only $38 bucks a night and awesomely central. You get use of a kitchen and you meet interesting people. Give it a shot. Beats commuting to/from Queens.

Check 'em out: http://www.bigapplehostel.com/

As other posters have indicated, the subway is clean and safe. I love the MTA. NYC is my favorite city in the world.

Enjoy!

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been to NYC twice....safer than my open hometown....

We rode the subways....no issues, but did take a cab at 2:30am beacuse I didn't feel like trying to figure out what train to take to get back to World Trade Center.

I stayed in Jersey City....had no issues getting in or out on the New Jersey Transit Authority....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I lived most of my life in New York (Brooklyn to be exact). The subways are safe in New York, but as in any situation one most keep his wits about him. Survey your surroundings and, if you feel uncomfortable, move to another area of the platform or to another subway car. Midnight is not that late (for New York) and you're bound to see mostly tired workers on their way home.

The subway system has changed since I was last there, five years ago, so I can't advise the line to take. Plus, I don't know where on Queens Blvd. you're staying. Queens Boulevard is one of those streets that reaches through many neighborhoods. In fact, I believe it's the longest street in Queens. Port Authority, though, is a hub station for many subway lines. Plus, there's a taxi stand right in front if that's what you decide to do. A taxi ride should cost around $25/$30 depending on where you're going.

For sightseeing, I would have no problem taking, in fact relying on, the subway. It's the quickest, most efficient way to get around. And it's a 24 hour system!

And you're bound to see alot of "real life" right there on Queens Boulevard.

Have a great time!
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm originally from New York and go back home every other year or so.

Let's see...I usually spend most of my time in the East Village. Cool bars, clubs, pizza, shops, etc.

Check out St Mark's place and take a picture of the buildings that were featured on the Physical Graffiti album cover. Or check out the location of the old CBGBs on Bowery. A lot of cool shops along 8th Street between 2nd Ave and 6th Ave. Also along Broadway bet 8th street all the way to Chinatown. Washington Square park is in this area as well and you know that's where Diamond Dave got busted buying a dime bag.LOL.

If you like jazz, the Blue Note is on W. 3rd off of Macdougal. Also the Village Vanguard is located on 7th Ave near 11th St. I believe. If you like comedy there is the famous Comedy Cellar on Macdougal.

If you like art, check out the galleries in SOHO, that would be South of Houston in the village in case you are not familiar.

I know your Van Halen show is in Jersey, buy you might want to check out Madison Square Garden which is on 34th St around 6th or 7th Avenue in Midtown Manhattan. In this area, you'll be close to many shopping opportunities, including Macys and two H&Ms. You won't miss the Empire State Building which is right up the street.

The subway system in NY is great and will get you to anyplace you want in the city; a lot safer than when I was growing up. However, I would still be careful taking the subway after 1am as the trains and stations tend to get empty if you're going out to the boroughs and the muggers know this. Remember to pick up a subway map at a token booth.

Hope this helps.