Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Default Rehearsal Reactions sans Mike

Okay, rather than risk pissing someone off or coming off wrong in another thread I've decided to post my thoughts here. Let's not make this a shit show because I'm sure some people will disagree, but I just want to get this off my chest....

Wolfgang has done a pretty good job singing minus the inevitable voice cracks of a maturing 16 year old. But after watching the clips of Beautiful Girls, Everybody Want Some!! and a few others, I have admitted and now accept that Van Halen has completely lost their original sound without Mike. Every chorus when we expect to hear that voice, for that instant they sound like a cover band. It's just discouraging, and I have to say I find that vocal absence more absent and a bigger issue then I ever imagined. Please remember I'm not bashing Wolfgang here, just think of replacing EVH with an equal guitar talent (let's be honest, there are quite a few), it won't sound right. They just don't sound right at all, and these rehearsals just reminded me of why I'm not going. I hope this topic isn't redundant (hence it's placement here), but I'll just listen to my poor quality bootlegs over this cover band any day.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    Okay, rather than risk pissing someone off or coming off wrong in another thread I've decided to post my thoughts here. Let's not make this a shit show because I'm sure some people will disagree, but I just want to get this off my chest....

Wolfgang has done a pretty good job singing minus the inevitable voice cracks of a maturing 16 year old. But after watching the clips of Beautiful Girls, Everybody Want Some!! and a few others, I have admitted and now accept that Van Halen has completely lost their original sound without Mike. Every chorus when we expect to hear that voice, for that instant they sound like a cover band. It's just discouraging, and I have to say I find that vocal absence more absent and a bigger issue then I ever imagined. Please remember I'm not bashing Wolfgang here, just think of replacing EVH with an equal guitar talent (let's be honest, there are quite a few), it won't sound right. They just don't sound right at all, and these rehearsals just reminded me of why I'm not going. I hope this topic isn't redundant (hence it's placement here), but I'll just listen to my poor quality bootlegs over this cover band any day.

i understand where you're coming from but replacing a bass player while leaving 3/4 of the band intact does not a cover band make.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i understand where you're coming from but replacing a bass player while leaving 3/4 of the band intact does not a cover band make.
    YEP! It's a new band!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

2/4 of a band does not a cover band make either, tell Edward that.

So it's a new band performing another band's material? I won't pester you with that.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

2/4 of a band does not a cover band make either, tell Edward that.

So it's a new band performing another band's material? I won't pester you with that.
    It makes a huge difference when members of the new band wrote all of the music.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do what feels right to you. For me, Its all about Ed, and Dave. That is really it. I love Mike, and I love Al, but I don't care if they aren't there frankly. I just want to see ED and Dave once live. Did you go an see Solo Dave at all since 1983??? If so what was your opinion on the backing vocals of all the VH tracks he played???
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

if this topic is about how mike is missed, then after watching those youtuber's... ya, its pretty obvious, kiddo doesnt have ( hasnt learned ) stage pressence..I dont care about the sound, Jr has nadda moxie...

but hey, like everyone else, I am going to watch the dave & ed show..Al who?
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sounds ok to me....Of course Dave ain't gonna sound like he did 25 yrs. ago though....Wolfie's fine, he's actually good....

You're just nitpicking ATBL....Get a few shots of your new bottle of Cabo and enjoy what we got...

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

I have a bunch of Roth bootlegs, but I never cared a whole lot because it was a cover band really, with just Roth. The bottle of Cabo is about 5/8 gone unfortunately, and I don't have another $96 for one right now, haha.

Anyways, I just started this to see if anyone else is as unimpressed as me. I'd be just as happy with nothing unless they actually release some f'n music.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yeah, I'm just messin' 'round....

I thought it was a joke when I heard Wolf was in too,and couldn't believe Mike was gone,but nothing surprises me now....

So I'm takin' what they're giving I guess....I already got tickets...

Enjoy the rest of the bottle mate....

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i feel your pain.....
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    Do what feels right to you. For me, Its all about Ed, and Dave. That is really it. I love Mike, and I love Al, but I don't care if they aren't there frankly. I just want to see ED and Dave once live. Did you go an see Solo Dave at all since 1983??? If so what was your opinion on the backing vocals of all the VH tracks he played???
    Everyone's opinion counts for them...that's what make opinions great. I personally did not see Dave solo and I have also not seen Sammy solo. I had the opportunity but I just didn't feel like going. I love Ed, Sammy, Dave, Al, and Mikey. I would love to see my BAND together playing. I'm not even sure I would go see Ed and Al play an instrumental show. I saw Sammy and Van Halen twice in 2004, twice in 1995, twice in 1993, and twice in 1991. I have never seen Van Halen with Dave and I would love to someday. I just don't want to see Ed with Dave if you know what I mean. I wouldn't pay as much money as they are asking just to see Van Halen Lite.
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    Do what feels right to you. For me, Its all about Ed, and Dave. That is really it.?
    Ahh....spoken like a true casual fan....
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yep, but at least he's honest about it.....That's cool too....

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

hold on a minute,,,, where's this everbody wants some?????????
    can you post a link i dont see that on the you tube one's
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen