Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default Dave's Vocals

I'm giving in...I'm going to see them in Chicago. The way I see it, how could I not? I bashed in the past, because of the Mikey omission...but alas, I'm as hypocrtical as the next asshole, so I'm going.

I've had a long history of not getting Dave's live singing...Ed, Al, and the wolfman sound pretty damn good...and I'm not trying to be critical, but I have an honest question...

Why does Dave do that thing where he changes the way he sings so much from the album....For an example of what I'm talking about....listen to the 07 Rehearsal of Hot For Teacher...

There's an old boot of Dave singing Runnin' With the Devil Live, along with You Really Got Me and Pretty Woman...and those are the best live vocals I've ever heard from Dave...other than that, he just changes it up so much...I find it rather distracting...and I just wonder why he does it? Has he ever spoke about why he does that? Is it to cover up his limitations? Seriously....
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    I'm giving in...I'm going to see them in Chicago. The way I see it, how could I not? I bashed in the past, because of the Mikey omission...but alas, I'm as hypocrtical as the next asshole, so I'm going.

I've had a long history of not getting Dave's live singing...Ed, Al, and the wolfman sound pretty damn good...and I'm not trying to be critical, but I have an honest question...

Why does Dave do that thing where he changes the way he sings so much from the album....For an example of what I'm talking about....listen to the 07 Rehearsal of Hot For Teacher...

There's an old boot of Dave singing Runnin' With the Devil Live, along with You Really Got Me and Pretty Woman...and those are the best live vocals I've ever heard from Dave...other than that, he just changes it up so much...I find it rather distracting...and I just wonder why he does it? Has he ever spoke about why he does that? Is it to cover up his limitations? Seriously....
    Don't expect much in the way of vocal supremecy, and you won't be dissapointed. DLR is probably one of the strangest cat's in R&R history. When he used to go in the studio to record there was an expectation. I think when DLR is live, he is smart enough to know that people love him because he is the best frontman ever, not necessarily the best singer ever.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Dave can't sing the songs the way he used to. There were times in the past few tours that he tried and he just couldn't do it. The thing is, Dave's strength in the past was his POWER. He just doesn't have that anymore, so he has to work with what he has. During a tour, he'll alter bits nightly until he finds a way to sound good while keeping his voice. The problem is, he ends up straying away from the original material. Judging by the rehearsal clips, he's doing a mix of the way he's sang the last few tours and the actual albums. At least he's singing the words!

Last Online

04.27.08 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOaverageJOE View Post
    Dave can't sing the songs the way he used to. There were times in the past few tours that he tried and he just couldn't do it. The thing is, Dave's strength in the past was his POWER. He just doesn't have that anymore, so he has to work with what he has. During a tour, he'll alter bits nightly until he finds a way to sound good while keeping his voice. The problem is, he ends up straying away from the original material. Judging by the rehearsal clips, he's doing a mix of the way he's sang the last few tours and the actual albums. At least he's singing the words!
    I agree, nice point on Dave mixing it up during the performance to find the style that best suits his voice for a whole tour. Dave is really bringing it for this tour. You can tell he has been working hard in this for quite awhile as he said in the p.c. I think by the 5th show or so, he'll have the kinks worked out as will the band. Hopefully he'll stay away from the booze and take a tip from the Clash and drink iced tea from a jack daniels bottle this time.
    Ya lollygag around around the infield, ya lollygag down to 1st, ya lollygag in and out of the dugout...ya know what that makes you?...LARRRY!!?......... .LOLLYGAGGERS!! lollygagers... -Bull Durham

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Dave is singing live now just like he always has...which is, sometimes he sings the songs (or parts of them), and sometimes he sort of talks them in a totally difference cadence than they were originally. He's at least SPEAKING most of the words now, vs. just screaming or not even making an effort to sing/speak them back in the day.

Look at the Panama video from the rehearsals this year for proof.

This year: (say the words faster, run them together)
    "Jumpback, Mamawhat'sthatsound, hereshecomes, foottappintopdown"

Vs the album:

"Jump back, what's that sound? Here she comes, full blast, top down".

Plus, he's singing that particular song with the slight lyric change that Sammy used to do. "Foot tappin'" vs. "full blast".

Anyway, whatever. You'll go crazy if you decide to start analyzing Dave's live singing. It is what it is. And he's always been like this.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Extreme Red Roth,,,I dub the,,,Roth,,,it's time,,,drop the 'xtreme and the red,,,drop 'em like it's hot,,,

Dave's vocals will sound like a hurricane being forced through a straw!!!

That's the lowdown, welcome back Mist ah Car tahhh welcome to tobacco road welcome to soulsville and bluesville and welcome back brownsound,,,hell yeah yeah yeah nah,,,oh well well well,,,
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Default sing it live

In the studio you have a lot of rest between songs... and days to prepare.

It's a one time performance and you have the luxuray of being a bit over the top.

Live is a different situation all together.

Live on tour, you have to think 'what am I going to be able to do every night for the next 4 months.'

Studio singing is 100% about imagery through sound.
    Live it's all about sound AND being visual.

Dave divides his energy up to fit the situation. I imagine him thinking: "100% of my energy is going to be divided into 60% singing and 40% full-contact-rhinosaraus-kungfu." '-D haha

Dave also is an vocal improvisor. He's a jazz man. He prides himself in changing it up slightly. Sinatra did the same thing. Just enough mixing it up to keep it fresh and exciting as a performer.
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Dave's live "vocals" have historically been awful. He's not a singer; he's a showman. Now that he's aged, he's less of a showman. To be better-received on this tour he'll need to be a better singer. So the rumor is he's working with a vocal coach (lots of lead singers do that now). Dave is smart enough to know he's gotta squeeze out every bit of musicianship he has and work it with his now-aging showman persona. The crazy-drunk-funny-halfway-there "Diamond Dave" of the past won't translate well to VH '07--nobody knows that better than Dave; and he'd probably be the first person to get sick of it anyway. Still, he'll be teetering on the line between cool and pathetic for the better part of the tour.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post

There's an old boot of Dave singing Runnin' With the Devil Live, along with You Really Got Me and Pretty Woman...and those are the best live vocals I've ever heard from Dave...
    I think you're thinking of the US Festival footage that was broadcast on TV. You do know that Dave re-recorded those vocals afterwards right?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to hear you are going Brett. Do you think they'll let you in the door given that preside over the rabble that is us?
    Agree with you on Dave's singing - Hot For Teacher got me thinking the same thing - like even some of the pronunciation - changing words like "mean" into maaaaaaaayyyyn" - like to see Dave play Dave more - less Pavarotti, more like someone who would fuck my girlfriend.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Everyone ready for my take?

As they all say "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

K, prior to joining The Halen Online Community or even the net really, I only discussed music seriously with fellow musicians or I'd receive the occasional opinion from various friends or family members (regarding VH) cos they knew how passionate I'd always been about them.

With that being said and again, prior to this board and I'm being completely honest, I never knew there was a fanbase for Van Halen post-David Lee Roth? Call me either ignorant, dumb or what have you but outside of the 80's and when they were popular, I just never knew anyone who liked them? Same goes for music like Foreigner or Ted Nugent. Again, they just aren't played here yet they obviously have sold records and have a fanbase.

Maybe that's why I initially came on these forums with such a sarcastic username and attitude going along with it? Honestly, I really had no idea?

However and I've since learned that there is one and not all of you are tonedeaf. lol

Anyway, that's not where I wanna go with this cos my sole intentions are to give somewhat of a backstory since there are so many newer peeps around that I've yet to have either the pleasure of sayin' 'ello or arguing, if even for a little bit.

Back to the initial topic and Dave's vocals. It's plain and simple really...

BOTTOM LINE!!! One either digs his voice and style or they don't. Seriously and after so many years on here, I've learned that fact. Sure, there are different ways to approach the whole thing but one either gets it, likes it, hates it and that's pretty much it.

Example, I NEVER even worried nor gave a second thought to Dave's straining on the higher parts of MWM when it was first released and why? Cos Dave's never been some sort of Pavoratti for me. Again, I never gave it the time of day and for many years prior to joining this community. Fuck, even as a musician, I just dig his voice, thought he'd aged a bit but it still sounded epic to me and it was Dave!!!

Then, I signed up and read all of these other opinions and a boatload that happened to prefer his replacement and I was like "Are you serious?" However and as I've noticed, there are many of you. Regardless, I still and shall never get it? lol

I'm just sayin' I know and have known many (primarily women) over the years that aren't VH fans per say but they think SH sounds like nails on a chalkboard and that he just screams. I've heard SH's voice comparred to Michael Bolton's may times from and especially wimmin'!!! Again, that Bolton has one Grqammy's and shit for his voice, no? He's obviously a high ranged singer as well, right? Still and to a lot of people, it's extremely painful to hear. Fuck, I feel EXACTLY the same way regarding opera singers and they probably have the most talented vox pipes in the world and they still make me cringe?

Whereas they (wimmin', fam and friends) much prefered Dave's voice in comparison. I guess his schtick goes along with it but what about the people of whom aren't fans but just a casual listener? Another friend of mine and someone of whom I currently jam with 'tis a huge Elvis fan, can sing ANYTHING and LOVES DLR's voice. He's not a huge VH fan at all but likes certain songs enough. This cat's also an epic musician with pretty decent pitch. He can play everything from an upright bass, mandolin, piano to the drums. So, he's no slouch and he always compliments Dave's uniqueness as a singer. Where I'll try to point out his vocal "limits" (of which are so harshly judged online) he'll always counter with "Yeaqh but that's his own fuckin' voice that NOBODY else has! It's often been imitated within that world of music but NEVER duplicated." I think that's a great point but I'm biased and preaching to my own choir.

Seriously, that's another reason why DLR with VH sells more tickets, creates more of a buzz and people notice. It was something special and a rarity in Rock and Roll. IMO
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I like most of em
    Last Online

10.21.15 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave has always sung like this. It doesn't bother some people.

Personally I have always liked a singer to be faithful to the record. Afterall, it is the recorded songs that you like.

I love Dave, I just really hope for this tour that he won't play with the vocals too much. I think it's very annoying and it always seems to be to the deteriment of the song as it loses its feel.

Listen to some boots of HFT from the 1984 tour. Missed words, words and lines sung purposefully early or late etc, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfan View Post

Listen to some boots of HFT from the 1984 tour. Missed words, words and lines sung purposefully early or late etc, etc.

Good point and something I missed within my initial post.

I was fortunate enough to see VH live with Dave back in the day and he did just fine. Yes, if you're one that wants EXACTLY what's on the album, sorry but that's not what he used to do live. I've often comparred Dave to Jagger in a live setting cos they were always more about the show, runnin' around, being more athletic and the band playin' was more of a theme song for their onstage antics, if you will?

He was more about showmanship and holding the crowd within the palm of his hands.

Also, I honestly think that there are many of you on here who truly believe Dave "forgot the words" to the songs. lmao!!!

That was a part of his schtick back then and the audiences ate it up.

Seriously, how many of y'all used to believe him when he'd tell us that our crowd was both "louder" and "kicked everyone else's" ass during the shows? It was his act, we all believed it and loved every fucking second of it!!! He made us feel epic, special and a little bit better than everyone else. Tell me that's not an epic frontman?
    Last edited by MAX; 09.23.07 at 03:15 AM.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I like most of em
    Last Online

10.21.15 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave is one of the premier frontmen of his time. A fantastic performer live.

I just take issue with his live vocals for 2 reasons.

1. He actually has a very good voice and his live performances have had the effect of people labelling him as vocally poor.

2. The AMOUNT that he sometimes messed around with the songs were just too much for. Sometimes the vocals were nothing at all like the record. That is simply not enjoyable for me.

However, I have heard some boots where I have thought, "yeah that's great, it's got the right amount of live dynamic combined staying true to the song".

It seems, from listening to the rehearsals that he is doing just that. I think he is sounding great.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfan View Post
    Dave is one of the premier frontmen of his time. A fantastic performer live.

I just take issue with his live vocals for 2 reasons.

1. He actually has a very good voice and his live performances have had the effect of people labelling him as vocally poor.

2. The AMOUNT that he sometimes messed around with the songs were just too much for. Sometimes the vocals were nothing at all like the record. That is simply not enjoyable for me.

However, I have heard some boots where I have thought, "yeah that's great, it's got the right amount of live dynamic combined staying true to the song".

It seems, from listening to the rehearsals that he is doing just that. I think he is sounding great.
    No worries and I appreciate both your opinion and response.

Again, I'm just one of those people that likes Dave no matter what he does. I mean there's this track called "Act One" on his "Diamond Dave" album where he just laughs, bangs drums and is silly. Yet, the track ALWAYS brings a smile to my face and puts me in a good mood.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!