Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen - Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.21.10 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Red, black and white-striped overalls. How to?

This is a poster from the van halen store, as you may have guessed. Here's the dealio...
    I have to dress up in a 'halloween costume' for our high school's marching band performance (we've done one before). I want to be Eddie Van Halen (Who doesn't?). I have a guitar hero (It's a video game that uses a guitar-looking controller) controller that has a sticker so it looks like eddie's frankenstraat/5150 (with the stripes), all I'll need are the overalls (or possibly his work shirt), and a nice wig for the long/shaggy hair look from the good ol' days.

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it. Can't wait for Oct. 28th in St. Louis! (which is, coincidentally, 2 days after this halloween dress-up bit, i guess i'll wear it on the 31st as well. Hell, might as well wear it to the concert too... )

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

My best bet would be to get some cheap red clothing and mask-tape it all over, since you're gonna use it for one day anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

^^^Great idea, Mish. If you can't find find red overalls, get some white ones and dye them with RIT dye. The white and black electric tape SHOULD work.

Also, you might PM sixstring. He has the entire outfit for his VH tribute band and maybe he could give you some tips. Have fun!
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen - Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the tips guys, but i was looking for something i COULD keep instead of a pair of overalls w/ a bunch of tape all over... like i was gonna possibly wear it to the concert a few days after the halloween show thing. thanks for the tribute band guy that can help, too. but do you guys think i could just do tape and paint like the guitar process on the overalls? I'll ask sixstring but if anyone else can help that would be great

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by pvhawkeye08 View Post
    thanks for the tips guys, but i was looking for something i COULD keep instead of a pair of overalls w/ a bunch of tape all over... like i was gonna possibly wear it to the concert a few days after the halloween show thing. thanks for the tribute band guy that can help, too. but do you guys think i could just do tape and paint like the guitar process on the overalls? I'll ask sixstring but if anyone else can help that would be great
    oh yeah, you can paint the stripes on. HOWEVER, trust me when i say it's a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry long and tedious process. i striped a pair of baby red chucks for sixstring's son before he was born and it almost drove me to drinking. it CAN be done, though. just remember that i was doing it on a baby size 2 shoe and you're wanting to do adult overalls. also, another tip: i used paint pens, which worked well for getting straight lines. however, the white tends to bleed with the red dye of the fabric and so you have to work hard on NOT having pink stripes. i just had to keep going over it with the white.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hey! Got your PM and sorry I'm just now getting back to you - I'm usually pretty tied up during the weekend but here goes:

I did mine a WHILE back so you MIGHT be able to find red overalls now, but back then I couldn't. I had to go the local paint store and buy a painter's white set and dye them using that Rit dye stuff you can find at Target and whatnot. It's a pretty messy and time-consuming project so be prepared! And make sure when you dye them in the sink that you have a stainless steel one - NOT porcelain - the red dye will stain the CRAP out of those old porcelain jobs. Also, make sure you don't have any whites to wash for the next three loads or so as the dye takes a bit to get worked through the washer. Ya don't wanna end up with pink undies...LOL! Just follow the directions on the dye pack and you should be alright...

The next part took me FOREVER but the fabric paints might be better nowadays. You need a BUNCH of white and about half as much black, a bunch of 1" masking tape, and whatever brush you feel like using. A good bristle-type one will work much better but you CAN use the foam type.

Start by using the masking tape to lay out the white stripes first. You'll need an Exacto knife to trim sections where some of the stripes intersect and be VERY careful to trim only the tape and NOT your overalls.

I used pretty much the same poster (and a scant few other US Fest shots) to figure out the stripe widths and placement. My advice is to do ALL the white first, both front AND back (and it may take 2 or 3 coats to make the white opaque enough). Then, just before the paint gets completely dry, remove your tape. If you wait too long, the tape might tear your paint around the edges - it works a bit better if it's not COMPLETELY dry. Then, repeat the whole process again for the black - it's a LOT easier this time around...LOL!

Most of that fabric paint requires that you dry the thing for quite a while to help it set so make sure you let it spend lots of time in there before you consider it done. That's pretty much it and what I came up with was really just flying by the seat of my pants...no pun intended...LOL!

If you get stuck, PM me again and I'll be glad to help you with anything I can...

-Bill
    Last edited by sixstring; 09.24.07 at 10:36 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ktgiles View Post
    oh yeah, you can paint the stripes on. HOWEVER, trust me when i say it's a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry long and tedious process. i striped a pair of baby red chucks for sixstring's son before he was born and it almost drove me to drinking. it CAN be done, though. just remember that i was doing it on a baby size 2 shoe and you're wanting to do adult overalls. also, another tip: i used paint pens, which worked well for getting straight lines. however, the white tends to bleed with the red dye of the fabric and so you have to work hard on NOT having pink stripes. i just had to keep going over it with the white.
    Those baby shoes rocked!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen - Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Hey! Got your PM and sorry I'm just now getting back to you - I'm usually pretty tied up during the weekend but here goes:

I did mine a WHILE back so you MIGHT be able to find red overalls now, but back then I couldn't. I had to go the local paint store and buy a painter's white set and dye them using that Rit dye stuff you can find at Target and whatnot. It's a pretty messy and time-consuming project so be prepared! And make sure when you dye them in the sink that you have a stainless steel one - NOT porcelain - the red dye will stain the CRAP out of those old porcelain jobs. Also, make sure you don't have any whites to wash for the next three loads or so as the dye takes a bit to get worked through the washer. Ya don't wanna end up with pink undies...LOL! Just follow the directions on the dye pack and you should be alright...

The next part took me FOREVER but the fabric paints might be better nowadays. You need a BUNCH of white and about half as much black, a bunch of 1" masking tape, and whatever brush you feel like using. A good bristle-type one will work much better but you CAN use the foam type.

Start by using the masking tape to lay out the white stripes first. You'll need an Exacto knife to trim sections where some of the stripes intersect and be VERY careful to trim only the tape and NOT your overalls.

I used pretty much the same poster (and a scant few other US Fest shots) to figure out the stripe widths and placement. My advice is to do ALL the white first, both front AND back (and it may take 2 or 3 coats to make the white opaque enough). Then, just before the paint gets completely dry, remove your tape. If you wait too long, the tape might tear your paint around the edges - it works a bit better if it's not COMPLETELY dry. Then, repeat the whole process again for the black - it's a LOT easier this time around...LOL!

Most of that fabric paint requires that you dry the thing for quite a while to help it set so make sure you let it spend lots of time in there before you consider it done. That's pretty much it and what I came up with was really just flying by the seat of my pants...no pun intended...LOL!

If you get stuck, PM me again and I'll be glad to help you with anything I can...

-Bill
    Thanks a ton! If I manage to have the patience and will to get these overalls done, I'll definitely post some pictures up or something. To complete the costume, I was gonna use my guitar hero controller (slung behind me), which is striped like ed's as i said before- here's a pic to give you an idea-

pretty cool, eh?

EDIT: um... sorry the pic is so huge

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen - Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't know I already had a pic of the overalls on my system before I posted this thread.
    Last edited by pvhawkeye08; 09.25.07 at 08:24 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen - Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sorry that i keep posting. my last post was gonna be this video, but youtube was down. This video features the overalls and a very nice 10 minute solo by the man, himself.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here ya go, guy!

-B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06