Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 851 Times in 398 Posts

Premium Member

Default Question for all of our guitar players on the links

I saw in the one review that the guy said Ed was using a cord again like 98 and 04. I guess I was so jacked about how cool the pics and videos of the rehearsals have been that I didn't notice it. I would much rather have him be able to roam personally. A friend of mine who's a drummer said that just because he's using a cord at rehearsal's doesn't necessarily mean he will during the tour. I'm thinking he will. What's the answer guitar players?
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 4,805 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

Eddie won't be using a cord on tour. These were dress rehearsals and I am sure if he was going wireless, he would have used one for one of these four shows. You don't go into a full fledged tour with out giving it a run through.

I thought of something weird today about why Eddie is not going wireless. A little out there but we are talking about Ed. He says its for tone and that probably is the truth, but I wonder if it has anything to do with EMF. Remember he said on Stern that the metal pick caused by EMF made him get cancer. Maybe he feels that using a wireless might cause the same thing? I know its in left field but with Ed anything is possible.

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

He prolly will because it helps preserve your tone.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone really needs to wait until they actually hit the road to see if he's going to go wireless or not.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.30.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eds used a cord for the last fews tours and will continue........back when Sam first joined the band he said that Sony was able to finially make a wireless that didnt sound crap.......what changed i dont know but i think he prolly feels more trust and feels a way better quality of sound is available with a cord........the price is of course a lack of mobility and the fact that he can sometimes un-plug himself....even though it runs underneath his guitar strap..........i dont think its the best fans choice but at least as far as sound goes......his tone is ,to my ears anyway, back to around the early 80's...and that is a great change from the screechy ,full on distortion of the 04 tour.....

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    ...I thought of something weird today about why Eddie is not going wireless. A little out there but we are talking about Ed. He says its for tone and that probably is the truth, but I wonder if it has anything to do with EMF. Remember he said on Stern that the metal pick caused by EMF made him get cancer. Maybe he feels that using a wireless might cause the same thing? I know its in left field but with Ed anything is possible.
    I can understand Ed's misgivings with the wireless in regard to tone, which is entirely subjective to the end user (hell, I believe CD's sound like garbage compared to vinyl albums ), yet his notion about metal picks causing cancer is simply ludicrous.

By that logic, everyone on the planet that has eaten meals with silverware should have cancer.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, here's my problem with its fuor tone argument, is that since he's been using a chord, his tone live has sucked...3 was okay, but I bootlegs where its good, and then the next show awful...the 04 tour was abysmal...i havent heard an actual good bootleg yet or heard it live so I really cant cast judgement on his tone so far for this tour, but I won a 5153 and I think they sound great so I'll have to wait and see if he can make his own amp sound good...
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I can understand Ed's misgivings with the wireless in regard to tone, which is entirely subjective to the end user (hell, I believe CD's sound like garbage compared to vinyl albums ), yet his notion about metal picks causing cancer is simply ludicrous.

By that logic, everyone on the planet that has eaten meals with silverware should have cancer.
    I'm with ya Chef. Certain albums do sound better on vinyl (see Dark Side of the Moon).

As for the whole cord thing, I used to use a lower end Nady wireless and noticed a difference in tone. I'm not so picky that it stopped me. But there are some picky tone-meisters out there. Eric Johnson is on record as having spent lots of time in the studio picking the right cord prior to recording.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Well in 98, his hip was still shaky, so he probably didn't move around as much anyway, which lent itself naturally to start using a chord. Then in 04 when he was more mobile, he said he liked the chord because of its tone, but then he didn't even play the right note half the time, so that makes absolutely no sense.

These days, it seems his playing has improved and he is still very mobile. Still, it makes no sense to use a chord because when your hearing something that loud you can't really tell the difference anyway.

Face it, Ed's a little cooky these days--you can't rationalize it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I am 99% sure he will have a cord, I would rather he be wireless, listen to any old recordings while he was wireless and there is not enough tone loss for a live rock show to have it even be an issue.

I would rather him have the freedom to roam.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I'm betting on the chord. In the early stages of rehearsals he had 3 different wirelesses that he was trying out. The fact that he used a chord in the rehearsals make me believe he couldn't get comfortable with any of the wirelesses.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie doesn't use a wireless because of what happened to Nigel in Spinal Tap.
    "Honey, I wouldn't lie to you, we just met. Lying is for later in the relationship!" - David Lee Roth

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
    Eddie doesn't use a wireless because of what happened to Nigel in Spinal Tap.
    Then he's out of luck, as the same thing happened to Hendrix at the Isle Of Wight (check out the video sometime ), and wireless rigs for guitarists hadn't been invented yet.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

08.14.17 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a high end wireless, and while the tone change is not noticeable, the very slight delay in time is.

...anyone esle experience this delay while using a wireless?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

He stated in a Guitar World article from back when he started using a cable again was because it just sounded better to him than the wireless. He didn't say why or what happened that made him make the change, he just thinks his rig sounds better with a cable.
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

EVH