Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Default People with a job who shouldn't have it

I work at a department store and there are some serious problems with how the place is run. First off, our manager is never on the floor, he's supposedly the manager of the store yet but he's only ever in his office. What's worse is he was given the job by the owner of the store despite never having been anything more than a salesman. Not only that, but if I ever have aspirations of a raise, you have to ask him because he's never around to see what I do!
    It gets worse, the person in charge of our inventory has never worked in such a position and has no prior knowledge of how our company and franchise works. It's a joke! We order stuff for stock and our quantities come in way off, and then customers wonder why we're running out of stuff! Does anybody else have a similar story about someone who just doesn't qualify and yet they makes loads more than you and everyone else?

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep.

Ask someone who works in government. Quite painful knowing you are a pion (sp?) doing the work and people who don't have a clue are above you cashing in BIG TIME.

And, oh yeah, wasting YOUR tax dollar.

I think it's also called either "The Real World" or "LIFE".

Get use to it, I guess.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Capitalism is such bull-shit. lol

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

There's trade-offs no matter what you do. I've been able to carve out a decent living as a musician--teaching, recording and producing, and playing. My main bread and butter gig is teaching, and I'm technically an independent contractor at a music store (I'm not an employee of the store). Though I've earned a good reputation and have a full schedule the five days I'm there, if the place ever goes out of business or there's a serious undesirable change-over in management or ownership, I'd have to start over from scratch; there's no "climbing the ladder." Moreover, I don't have any insurance or benefits through my job. On the other hand, I'm my own boss, I make my own hours, and I define everything about my approach to doing the job.

I hear stories from friends in their corporate jobs where they spend the first two hours of their day surfing the internet, take hour-and-a-half lunches, and get paid vacations. But then they have all the office politics to deal with. When I teach a full day of students (usually between five and seven hours), it's one half-hour lesson after another, and I have to be there 100%--physically and mentally. It's a very brain-draining job some days.

So what's better? I would probably throw myself out the window of whatever skyscraper I was working in if I had a "regular" job, but... I dunno.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Some advice from an old moose:

Do your job as well as you can and leave it at work. If you can walk out the door at the end of the shift saying "I did my job and I did it well", that's all you have to be responsible for. They're not paying you to take your job home.

Easier said than done, I know.

Whatever you do, don't become one of those bitter, whiny slobs who goes around complaining under his breath but is too much of a coward to speak up. You only hurt yourself.

For example, Bob the inventory guy screwed up the order again and didn't order enough widgets.
    You have three options:
    1. You can whine and complain with your coworkers, "Bob is such a dumbass..." This doesn't fix the problem, and it also makes people lose respect for you.
    2. You can call Bob a dumbass to his face. This probably won't fix the problem, but it might make the work day a little more interesting.
    3. You can go to Bob and say, "Bob, we're out of widgets. Is there anything I can do?" This has a decent chance of fixing the problem and, most important, you can feel satisfied because you acted like a professional even if no one else did.

I used to pick option #1 all the time and I hated many jobs that I had. When I started choosing option #3, I started enjoying my work more. The jobs didn't change but I did.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Bullwinkle, you nailed it.

Don't bitch, especially to someone at a higher level who you may be chummy with. Don't play stupid games such as taking five minutes longer on breaks because "they owe me", or calling in sick because "they don't care about me, why should I care about them". You'll stress yourself out going through all of these scenarios where they are getting over on you.

Best thing to do, work your ass off, keep your mouth shut, keep your nose clean, and never, ever, NEVER jump off of a slow horse until a faster horse comes along.

If you're a religious/spiritual person, know also that there is a definite spiritual aspect to the way you do your job. Promotion comes from way above at times.

If all else fails, leave. But do it well. Be smart and be a gentleman.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

theres always option 4......go to the bar and drink till you enjoy your job

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    Capitalism is such bull-shit. lol
    It may suck but it's better then all the other systems lol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've worked for companies where the CEO was the most inept person in the company. Talk about dysfunction tumbling down.

To Bulwinkles point, its all about knowing what you can control and what you can't and doing the best you can. Speaking from experience, its too easy to become part of the problem by allowing negative situations to evoke negative reactions from you, be it complaining, affecting your performance, or grabbing someone buy their tie and beating the crap out of them.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I know who's pic Ford's gonna put in here...

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Not to sounds the least bit conceded, but I know fully well that I am amongst the best employees the company has ever had. Sales have gone up, customers have come to rely on me in some cases, etc. I think it's my own success that causes these things to come to me. Whenever someone fulfills their job and makes improvements to the company's success they begin to notice how it can be made even better. As far as the potential of my current position, I've already reached it, but the ideas you get from experience give you a better idea of what people want, how to merchandise better, etc. That very experience is what the pen-pushers (in this case) lack, they don't know how things work and they don't invest in improvements. I didn't start this thread with the intent of bitching and whining, but more to create discussion about those of us who know what can help, but don't have the checkbook or authority to make these things happen.

I should mention that the people working for head office are amongst the most inept, under-qualified idiots in the industry. It's a shame really, because the public can be much better provided to with more attention to detail.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Nice to see someone who's humble.....

J/k...Remember, everyone can be replaced...'cept me of course...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Not to sounds the least bit conceded, but I know fully well that I am amongst the best employees the company has ever had. .
    couple questions. (1) how old are you? (2) what do you do at the store?

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    couple questions. (1) how old are you? (2) what do you do at the store?
    I manage a department, supervise and I run another one when the other guy isn't around. I'm 20 (been there 4 years). and before you go off assuming I'm some young punk who thinks he knows everything you should know that what I say is based on what some of my co-workers have told me, most of whom have been there around 8 years. I've never had a complaint, and I stick with what I know while trying to learn more. It's not a matter of knowledge even, because their are far more informed people there, it's ambition. The owner has repeatedly commented on my work ethic, and the difference I've made. I'm not the type to glorify myself, or what I do. I do a damn good job, and I recognize that.
    I really should admit though, that me doing my job and doing a good job is somewhat inflated by the fact some people don't do a good job. Work ethic shouldn't be an admirable quality because it should be a lot more common. Be honest guys, what do you do and what kind of a job do you feel you're doing?

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

I manage a department, supervise and I run another one when the other guy isn't around. I'm 20 (been there 4 years). and before you go off assuming I'm some young punk who thinks he knows everything you should know that what I say is based on what some of my co-workers have told me, most of whom have been there around 8 years. I've never had a complaint, and I stick with what I know while trying to learn more. It's not a matter of knowledge even, because their are far more informed people there, it's ambition. The owner has repeatedly commented on my work ethic, and the difference I've made. I'm not the type to glorify myself, or what I do. I do a damn good job, and I recognize that.
    I really should admit though, that me doing my job and doing a good job is somewhat inflated by the fact some people don't do a good job. Work ethic shouldn't be an admirable quality because it should be a lot more common. Be honest guys, what do you do and what kind of a job do you feel you're doing?

I'm sure you do a very good job - most people your age would be managing the slushy machine instead of a deparment.

That being said, unless your name is Lebron James I don't like the odds of you being one of the best employees your company has ever had (I'm assuming the company has been around for a little while).