Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Seven deadly workplace sins

Seven deadly workplace sins

You know the type.

The guy who takes full credit for a job well done -- albeit any help he received along the way.

The "one-for-the-taking-and-focused-on-quick-ways-to-get-ahead" cougar lady.

The hot-headed jerk that jumps down your throat at any sign of question or disagreement concerning his latest project.

While most of us share a common goal of achievement and success in the workplace, we also know that there are ways to accomplish this ambition -- and ways to fall short.

"Success in the workplace doesn't happen 'on a wing and a prayer,' but rather by knowing what specific job promotion pitfalls to avoid in working toward that heavenly pot of career gold," says John McKee, business coach and author of "21 Ways Women in Management Shoot Themselves in the Foot."

To avoid becoming the once-respectable, often-humble guy who got a promotion but lost his wits (and gained an ego), follow McKee's advice on the seven deadly career sins to assure career advancement and move you on the path to paycheck promise land:

1. Pride

Despite any help they received along the way, time and again, people take full credit for their accomplishments in the office, thinking that personal success will fast-track their career.

The sin: "What often goes unrecognized is that people around, and especially below, the serially solo-successful resent the ego-centricity, and may actually begin to actively undermine that person's efforts in the future."

The salvation: "A dose of acknowledgment of and appreciation for one's peers and subordinates, so they may share in some of the glory, can go a long way to foster one's long-term success."

2. Envy

It's OK to acknowledge another's achievements, but lamenting "what should have been yours" can be destructive and adversely impact your own ability to focus on current job tasks, McKee says.

The sin: "Allowing yourself to be overly envious of others in the workplace can sabotage your self-esteem, which is one vital characteristic every successful business person shares." The salvation: "Rather than being envious, let the accomplishments of others become motivational fuel for your fire in working toward your own successes."

3. Anger

Anger doesn't benefit anyone in the workplace -- it only damages your reputation, credibility and professionalism.

The sin: "Those prone to angry outbursts rarely get promoted; they are seen as being poor leaders who cannot inspire or motivate others."

The salvation: "It's fine to feel passionately about your job or a project at hand and to disagree with others, but learn how to channel those emotions into actions that will work to your benefit in the eyes of others -- especially your superiors - rather than against it."

4. Greed

An employee's selfish desire for "more, sooner" is what motivates many workers. While these folks may do well in the moment, they won't be prepared to take things to the next level, McKee warns.

The sin: "Taking this notion to the extreme can and will be self-defeating as core values become misguided and life becomes unbalanced in the process." The salvation: "The road to success requires a long-term approach in all aspects of one's job duties. Those laser-focused on quick, short-term gains may do well in the moment, but will be ill-prepared to take things to the next level."

5. Sloth

Indolence gets you nowhere in life -- especially in corporate America. Laziness in the workplace will have you sitting idle, watching others surpass you in success and authority.

The sin: "Simply put, complacency and laziness have no place whatsoever in the workplace -- especially for those with high aspirations. Expecting one's past achievements and successes to carry them forward in their long-term career is imprudent."

The salvation: "Treat every work day and every project as if your job, and your future at large, depends on it. It very well may."

6. Gluttony

Too much focus on only one facet of life, like work, is a recipe for overall failure. Make sure you're ready -- professionally and personally -- to take on new and bigger challenges, for which expectations are also bigger, McKee says.

The sin: "Many individuals move up the corporate ladder so fast that they actually end up failing as a consequence. More isn't always better -- especially if you're not ready for the challenge at hand."

The salvation: "Achieving career success also includes maintaining a life balance, and a misplaced professional desire can create a backlash both at home as well as amid peers for your perceived obsessiveness."

7. Lust

The old "grass is always greener" adage applies to the workplace as well. Spending your time focused on others' work achievements rather than working to further your own is a sure-fire career killer," McKee contends.

The sin: "Spending an inordinate amount of time fixated on what you don't have rather than what you do will foster a bad attitude and negative overall demeanor."

The salvation: "One's overall 'presence' in the office plays a big part in who gets promoted and who doesn't. No matter how ambitious, it's prudent to be 'present' and make the most out of your current position at this moment in time."
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm reading this at work.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm working at reading this. Too... many... words...

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:59 PM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 796 Posts

The Catholic Church / The Vatican Issue Seven new deadly sins

9:44a.m. 11 March 2008

Gluttony and Pride are out of vogue as Pollution and Being Rich step in as some of the new 'mortal sins' as updated by the Vatican. See full list below.

Times have changed and so have sins and sinners, according to the Pope's second-in-charge, Monsignor Gianfranco Girotti, who this weekened spoke on modern evils, Reuters reports.

Genetic manipulation, drugs that 'weaken the mind and cloud intelligence,' and the imbalance between the rich and the poor have made the cut to be new sins punishable by an eternity of damnation in hellfire.

It also seems that Dolly the sheep's creators are due for a shock in the afterlife, as Girotti, the head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, told the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano that bioethics were an important area of danger for the 'modern soul.'

"There are areas where we absolutely must denounce some violations of the fundamental rights of human nature through experiments and genetic manipulation whose outcome is difficult to predict and control," he said.

The interview entitled 'New Forms of Social Sin,' also listed ecological offences as a issue of substance.

The Vatican plans to lead by example with some Holy See buildings set to use solar energy, including photovoltaic cells on the roof of the auditorium for pilgrims' audiences with the pontiff.

But will these new sins make people feel the need to confess their carbon-monoxide spewing 4x4 any more than they would confess casting a lusty eye over the neighbour's wife?

Not likely, as Girotti also bemoaned the fact that fewer and fewer Catholics go to confession in our day.

A study by Milan's Catholic University had shown that up to 60 percent of Catholics in Italy did not attend confession - where a priest can absolve them of their sins in God's name - with 20 percent feeling uncomfortable discussing their sins with another person.

Just as life was back in the 6th Century when Pope Gregory the Great declared the original seven sins, they were a lot simpler. However, their punishment was still no fun at all:

1. Pride - Broken on the wheel

2. Envy - Put in freezing water

3. Gluttony -Forced to eat rats, toads, and snakes

4. Lust - Smothered in fire and brimstone

5. Anger - Dismembered alive

6. Greed - Put in cauldrons of boiling oil

7. Sloth - Thrown in snake pits

The new sins are a lot less black and white:

1. "Bioethical" violations such as birth control

2. "Morally dubious" experiments such as stem cell research

3. Drug abuse

4. Polluting the environment

5. Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor

6. Excessive wealth

7. Creating poverty

No specific punishments have been put forward as yet, although one would assume that modern sins deserve suitably modern punishments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It would have been nice to see Pedophilia specifically mentioned . . . .

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.01.09 @ 08:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pedophilia, good point. But I haven't heard about that in a while.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I would think it even more of sin to bring forth lives into this world without the means nor the desire to properly support them.

Ah yes....brought to you by the people who placed Gailileo under house arrest. Evil science...BAD BAD EVIL SCIENCE!!

3. Drug abuse

6. Excessive wealth

7. Creating poverty
    WOW......3-7 might just alienate the entire GOP!

No specific punishments have been put forward as yet, although one would assume that modern sins deserve suitably modern punishments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It would have been nice to see Pedophilia specifically mentioned . . . .

Innnnnnnnndeed!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How about a grown man coercing a young boy to play with his penis?

So, birth control is a sin, but science that may one day save a baby's life is also a sin? Okay...

3. Drug abuse

That would fall under gluttony, just like acoholism, over-eating, over-sexing, gambling addictions and so on.

More babies = more polution. The wise move would be resposible use of birth control.

Wealthy families have fewer children, poor families trend to having many children. Again, large out of control populations cause poverty. There are only so many jobs and so many places to live.

6. Excessive wealth

I'm dirt poor. I'm only now pursuing a college education. Nobody forced my life on me. If I invent something that makes me rich I'm suddenly a bad person? I'm supposed to give it all away?

Does this mean that instead of a tythe the Catholic church will ask for .05%?

Maybe they'll sell the Vatican and the Pope will move to a trailer park.

7. Creating poverty

Well, let me see. The key cause of poverty is an out of control growth of population. If only there was some way of controling pregnancy...

Nice to know the Vatican is on top of things.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Nice to know the Vatican is on top of things.
    It's called the Missionary Postition, I believe.

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

For the Posters that favor "choice" and Aborting children in the womb....

Here is the logical conclusion, ie the hidden and real agenda, based on results of the Planned Parenthood Organization:

Autumn Kersey of Planned Parenthood in Boise: Good afternoon, this is Autumn.

Donor: Hello, Autumn, I'm interested in making a donation today.

Kersey: Fantastic!

Donor: What about abortions for the underprivileged minority groups?

Kersey: Oh, absolutely. We have, um, in fact, uh wonderful, fantastic news. We just received a very generous donation to our women in need fund.

Donor: Wonderful. I want to specify that abortion to help a minority group - would that be possible?

Kersey: Absolutely.

Donor: Like the black community for example?

Kersey: Certainly.

Donor: OK, so the abortionI can give money specifically for a black baby, that would be the purpose.

Kersey: Absolutely. If you wanted to designate that you wanted your gift to be used to help (an) African-American woman in need, then we would certainly make sure that that gift was earmarked specifically for that purpose.

Donor: Great. Because I really face trouble with affirmative action, and I don't want my kids being disadvantaged, you know, against black kids. I just had a baby; I want to put it in his name, you know.

Kersey: Mmhmm, absolutely.

Donor: So that's definitely possible.

Kersey: Oh, always, always.

Donor: So I just wanna - can I put this in the name of my son?

Kersey: Absolutely.

Donor: Yeah, he's trying to get into colleges, and he's going to be applying, you know, he's justwe're just really bighe's really faced troubles with affirmative action.

Kersey: Mmhmm.

Donor: And we don't, you know, we just think, you know, the less black kids out there the better.

Kersey: (Laughs) Understandable, understandable. ... Um David, let me, if I may, just get some sort of specific general information so we can set this up the right way. You said you wanted to put it in your son's name, and you would like this designated specifically to assist (an) African-American woman who's looking to terminate a pregnancy.

Donor: Exactly, and yeah, I wanna protect my son, so he can get into college.

Kersey: All right. Excuse my hesitation, um, um, this is the first time I've had a donor call and make this kind of request, so I'm excited, and I wanna make sure I don't leave anything out.

Transcript released by The Advocate

Link: http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/308723.html

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~