Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.21.08 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Guys. . . look at how well Ed seems. It's time to get down to brass tacks.

So, in short. . . (scroll down to paragraph 5 if you don't want to hear bout my history of loving this band).

I've been a lurker here for a long fucking time. My passion for guitar was instilled one day in '90 when my best friend in high school played me Spanish Fly for me in the living room of his parents' basement. After that couple of minutes of acoustical madness, I decided right then and there that I would learn how to play guitar. I've made a lot of proclamations on the spot in the past. . .this is honestly the only one that ever stuck.

Fast forward to mid-September 2007. Sure, i didn't ever get to see the original incarnation of the band live. Too young. My first show was during the '95 tour. It disappointed. My next show was the III tour followed by 2004. Of all of them, 1998 ruled supreme because my toastmaster general on the guitar was in top-form for that show and tour. I saw the grinning samurai I grew up seeing in magazines and VHS tapes in person. He was sober. He was on fire.

2004 was such a letdown. While still having a huge heart for 5150, (certain cuts of OU812 (and huge love for those specific tracks), some F.U.C.K.) my allegiance has always pointed towards the early days, when the energy off that band and Ed just came off in waves. My high school buddies and I convened in Vegas for a reunion for the lineup we grew up with and loved and I was let down. Ed was a mess. No energy amongst them. A seeming cover band in a big venue.

I've lurked and checked this forum probably every day since the original "Dave is Back" thing from '97 in the hopes that my favorite band would get their shit together. As we all know, it's been quite a ride since then.

Now, to the good shit (thank you for lasting this long if you have).

I just came across the video clips on youTube of the rehearsals. Holy shit. Let's be honest here. Doesn't Ed seem more focused and intense than you've ever seen him? And to add to that, how many of us go to a VH concert and focus on Michael Anthony? I'm looking at Ed. Mike is a gem, a fan favorite, and part of the original mix. Ed wasn't happy with him. I'm willing to let that be and focus on my favorite part of VH - Eddie and Alex and how they play off each other.

Ed is on. He's not goofing off for the crowd like he did with Sammy but reminds me of the Largo boots and the Kirshner vids. He's on his side of the stage ripping the fuck out of shit. He's playing ridiculous guitar and loving it. What more could we fucking ask for? Ed's our guy and he's shining.

How cool is it that a guy who had such a close relationship with his musician father is getting to take his teenager son along with him and making music for tens of thousands of adoring fans? How cool of a father for doing that. These will be Ed's most memorable touring years, make no mistake. His best friend and son are making music with him. Wolf is the glue of this band right now and all of us as fans of this band need to rally behind this kid and pump him up at each show. It's only going to make the music better. The kid kills the tapped bass part in the Romeo Delight interlude. 16 years old, in your awkward phase, and conducting yourself with professionalism after such a short time playing the instrument? I'll take that over slamming the headstock of a Jack Daniels's base against the stage floor with a ton of effects any day. Mark my words, if this tour lasts, the kid will be in his element in November. I can't imagine what he's going through. Ed and Val raised a good egg.

I never thought that the DLR/VH reunion would be so back-to-basics/back-to-the-roots that it seems to be now.

Everyone. Be fucking elated that this is happening. All the naysayers are fucking thrilled out of their minds deep down inside.

Sincerely,

A fan.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

heh...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

You And Your Blues
    Last Online

10.30.15 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

im not trying to be thread police here, but seriously. Why write another thread? This whole thing could have gone into another thread!

I get what your saying though....
    FULL TIME LURKER

Last Online

04.27.08 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffBeckRules View Post
    So, in short. . . (scroll down to paragraph 5 if you don't want to hear bout my history of loving this band).

I've been a lurker here for a long fucking time. My passion for guitar was instilled one day in '90 when my best friend in high school played me Spanish Fly for me in the living room of his parents' basement. After that couple of minutes of acoustical madness, I decided right then and there that I would learn how to play guitar. I've made a lot of proclamations on the spot in the past. . .this is honestly the only one that ever stuck.

Fast forward to mid-September 2007. Sure, i didn't ever get to see the original incarnation of the band live. Too young. My first show was during the '95 tour. It disappointed. My next show was the III tour followed by 2004. Of all of them, 1998 ruled supreme because my toastmaster general on the guitar was in top-form for that show and tour. I saw the grinning samurai I grew up seeing in magazines and VHS tapes in person. He was sober. He was on fire.

2004 was such a letdown. While still having a huge heart for 5150, (certain cuts of OU812 (and huge love for those specific tracks), some F.U.C.K.) my allegiance has always pointed towards the early days, when the energy off that band and Ed just came off in waves. My high school buddies and I convened in Vegas for a reunion for the lineup we grew up with and loved and I was let down. Ed was a mess. No energy amongst them. A seeming cover band in a big venue.

I've lurked and checked this forum probably every day since the original "Dave is Back" thing from '97 in the hopes that my favorite band would get their shit together. As we all know, it's been quite a ride since then.

Now, to the good shit (thank you for lasting this long if you have).

I just came across the video clips on youTube of the rehearsals. Holy shit. Let's be honest here. Doesn't Ed seem more focused and intense than you've ever seen him? And to add to that, how many of us go to a VH concert and focus on Michael Anthony? I'm looking at Ed. Mike is a gem, a fan favorite, and part of the original mix. Ed wasn't happy with him. I'm willing to let that be and focus on my favorite part of VH - Eddie and Alex and how they play off each other.

Ed is on. He's not goofing off for the crowd like he did with Sammy but reminds me of the Largo boots and the Kirshner vids. He's on his side of the stage ripping the fuck out of shit. He's playing ridiculous guitar and loving it. What more could we fucking ask for? Ed's our guy and he's shining.

How cool is it that a guy who had such a close relationship with his musician father is getting to take his teenager son along with him and making music for tens of thousands of adoring fans? How cool of a father for doing that. These will be Ed's most memorable touring years, make no mistake. His best friend and son are making music with him. Wolf is the glue of this band right now and all of us as fans of this band need to rally behind this kid and pump him up at each show. It's only going to make the music better. The kid kills the tapped bass part in the Romeo Delight interlude. 16 years old, in your awkward phase, and conducting yourself with professionalism after such a short time playing the instrument? I'll take that over slamming the headstock of a Jack Daniels's base against the stage floor with a ton of effects any day. Mark my words, if this tour lasts, the kid will be in his element in November. I can't imagine what he's going through. Ed and Val raised a good egg.

I never thought that the DLR/VH reunion would be so back-to-basics/back-to-the-roots that it seems to be now.

Everyone. Be fucking elated that this is happening. All the naysayers are fucking thrilled out of their minds deep down inside.

Sincerely,

A fan.
    Well said! VH has really taking us for a ride over the many years, so much so they should open a theme park!! Imagine the cool rides. The OUrode12 Ferris Wheel! Sammy's Tequila Funhouse! The Unchained Roller Coaster of Thrills! The JUMP trampoline center! The Mad Anthony Hot Sauce River Log Flume!! You get the idea!! Thats a goldmine waiting to happen!
    Ya lollygag around around the infield, ya lollygag down to 1st, ya lollygag in and out of the dugout...ya know what that makes you?...LARRRY!!?......... .LOLLYGAGGERS!! lollygagers... -Bull Durham

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

Why does it seem like every week someone has a long winded post about how they have been a lurker for a million years and that people on here should be grateful for this and that? As much as I admire your ability to articulate your feelings about this situation in a semi positive way, I'm pretty sure this could have gone in at least 3 other threads.

EDIT:It seems as though somebody has already made my point ^
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

You And Your Blues
    Last Online

10.30.15 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Cactus View Post
    Why does it seem like every week someone has a long winded post about how they have been a lurker for a million years and that people on here should be grateful for this and that? As much as I admire your ability to articulate your feelings about this situation in a semi positive way, I'm pretty sure this could have gone in at least 3 other threads.

EDIT:It seems as though somebody has already made my point ^

HIGH 5?!?!? lol
    FULL TIME LURKER

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.21.08 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Come on guys. Sure it might have gone in another thread but this is my first. Sometimes it's a good thing to hear a fresh perspective. Main thing is that this is the best we're gonna get. Embrace the shit. Nothing original here, just wanted to express my point specifically to all those folks who play guitar now cuz of Ed.

Last Online

04.27.08 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffBeckRules View Post
    Come on guys. Sure it might have gone in another thread but this is my first. Sometimes it's a good thing to hear a fresh perspective. Main thing is that this is the best we're gonna get. Embrace the shit. Nothing original here, just wanted to express my point specifically to all those folks who play guitar now cuz of Ed.
    I know what it like w/posting threads and people telling you it's been discussed a 1000 time already. I've made that mistake a lot. It just best if you have an idea for a thread to cruise the site for awhile and see if anything has been threaded about that subject and post there. Some threads may have been discussed already, but are not on the main page, you just need to scroll through the older ones first. But, keep up the thoughts and postings. Don't be afraid to thread when you deem appropriate, the people hear are pretty good about directing you to where it might have been talked about earlier and where to post in the correct areas. Everybody here has been real helpful to me in getting started.
    Ya lollygag around around the infield, ya lollygag down to 1st, ya lollygag in and out of the dugout...ya know what that makes you?...LARRRY!!?......... .LOLLYGAGGERS!! lollygagers... -Bull Durham

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I to 1984
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em up to 1984
    Last Online

02.16.15 @ 02:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How dare you start a new thread????
    Honestly, the nerve of some people....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.21.12 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

good

I thought it was a good post.
    Ed IS ripping in them videos, 100% better than I was expecting.
    "I don't need no stinking click"

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

I agree that Ed is really on top of his game.

During "Jump", I like how he clowns a bit with Wolf. Nice father-son moment. I'm sure there will be plenty of them.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

All due respect to the thoughts of the thread-starter, his comments, thoughts, and others who have posted similar remarks...

Anyone else noticing the pattern? The rehearsal videos are out, they're pretty good, and now folks are questioning the importance of Michael Anthony in the first place.

Having not taken an absolutist perspective on the Mike situation from the start would have lessened the conflict, personal and otherwise.

I didn't see anything on those videos I didn't expect. It IS exciting to see Dave sing those songs with Ed and Al again, and it IS exciting to see Edward playing so well. Wolfgang is holding it together--good for the kid! There's a ton of pressure on him (it's hard enough being a 16 year old as it is). But Wolf is playing and singing almost the exact same parts as Michael Anthony--the parts MA wrote and performed with the band for many years. He's part of the history and legacy of Van Halen and our collective fondness thereof. Of course Van Halen was first and foremost about the wizardry of Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing, along with his interaction with the lead vocalist of the time. But don't go thinking the star players are the only ones doing the work when your utility guy lays down the bunt at the critical time. Van Halen was about the sum, not the parts.

They will sound good, and let's hope they do indeed maintain positive relationships throughout this tour so things don't go south for VH again. But part of that 30-years-plus legacy will be missing from the stage; out of affection and some necessity (background vocals), he will be missed.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Let's be perfectly honest here. A lot of "naysayers" are not happy "deep down" inside. Ed's sober, good for him. And I mean this as no offense to those that are excited, but plenty of us are not. If Brett was truly happy with it I'm sure he'd buy a ticket or he'd let the bunch of you who offered buy him one. A lot of people focus on Ed, but I think there's a lot of us who focused on the band as a solitary unit, each part equal to each other in order to create the sound we love. This just doesn't cut it for me. Even when it was Sam we still had the sound there with a new voice, and it worked too. But for me it's always going to be Ed, Alex, Mike and either Dave or Sam. In short, it's not good enough for everyone. I'm sure it will be a success, I know they sound good, but it's just not Van Halen to a lot of us.
    Again, those who are happy with it more power to you, enjoy the tour.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    Let's be perfectly honest here. A lot of "naysayers" are not happy "deep down" inside. Ed's sober, good for him. And I mean this as no offense to those that are excited, but plenty of us are not. If Brett was truly happy with it I'm sure he'd buy a ticket or he'd let the bunch of you who offered buy him one. A lot of people focus on Ed, but I think there's a lot of us who focused on the band as a solitary unit, each part equal to each other in order to create the sound we love. This just doesn't cut it for me. Even when it was Sam we still had the sound there with a new voice, and it worked too. But for me it's always going to be Ed, Alex, Mike and either Dave or Sam. In short, it's not good enough for everyone. I'm sure it will be a success, I know they sound good, but it's just not Van Halen to a lot of us.
    Again, those who are happy with it more power to you, enjoy the tour.
    Great post and I agree with you 100%.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I hate to say it, but I don't think Ed is playing as well as he could.
    The rehearsal clip of the guitar solo has a lot of mistakes in it. Not always wrong notes, but mistakes in timing and attack that show a lack of preparation. I got the feeling that Ed is just going through the motions.

Of course, it was just a rehearsal, and at rehearsal you spend a lot of time going through the motions, so I'm still a little undecided. But I'm keeping a worried eye on him.

One part of me says, "The guys are older and slower now. Of course the songs won't have the same energy as the US Festival. Give them a break."
    But then I realize that that's the kind of excuse a fan uses for his favorite band's nostalgia tour. Is this band a 'new band' or not?

When Rush came through my town a month ago, they played about thirty songs. Only five of them were "greatest hits" that they are required to play at every show. They played many obscure tunes from past albums that they haven't played live in years, and they played eight songs from the new album. That's not a nostalgia act set list, that's a set list of a band that is still moving forward.
    To be fair, for their 30th anniversary Rush did do a nostalgia tour. But even then they put out an EP of cover tunes and played a couple of them in the set.

My hope right now is that Van Halen is doing this greatest hits tour because they feel it's what the fans want to hear. But they have plans to make new music and do a real VH4 tour as soon as possible.