Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Men more likely to not wash after bathroom use

Men more likely to not wash after bathroom use

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- The gender gap has widened when it comes to hygiene, according to the latest stakeout by the "hand washing police."

Atlanta's Turner Field is a haven for males who practice poor hygiene: Only 57 percent of men there washed up.

One-third of men didn't bother to wash after using the bathroom, compared with 12 percent of women, said the researchers who spy on people in public restrooms. They reported their latest findings Monday at a meeting of infectious disease scientists.

Two years ago, the last time the survey was done, only one-quarter of men didn't wash, compared with 10 percent of women.

"Guys need to step up to the sink," said Brian Sansoni, spokesman for the Soap and Detergent Association, which co-sponsors the survey and related education campaigns.

The latest study was based on observations last month of more than 6,000 people in four big cities.

Your Health Tools
    MayoClinic.com: Health Library
    Healthology: Health Video Library
    Frequent hand washing is the single best thing people can do to avoid getting sick, from colds and the flu to germs lurking in food, doctors say. And a recent Harris Interactive survey found 92 percent of Americans said they usually or always wash up after using the bathroom.

But researchers for the American Society for Microbiology found that only 77 percent actually do, when it comes to public restrooms. That's a 6 percent decline from a similar study in 2005.

The dirty details:

Atlanta's Turner Field baseball stadium again was the worst. Only 57 percent of guys there washed up, compared to 95 percent of women.

New York was Second City to Chicago in cleanliness. In restrooms at the Windy City's Shedd Aquarium and Museum of Science and Industry, 81 percent of men and women combined washed their hands, compared to 79 percent at the Big Apple's Penn and Grand Central train stations.

At San Francisco's Ferry Terminal Farmers Market, 62.5 percent of men lathered up. Women did better, with 84 percent.

Carry sanitizer gels and wipes in case the means to wash your hands aren't handy, suggested microbiologist Judy Daly of Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, who led the project.

"These are a marvelous addition to plain soap and water," she said.

Telephone surveys by the research firm Harris Interactive show little shift in attitudes over previous polls in 2003 and 2005. The latest was of 1,001 adults from August 17-20.

Nearly three-fourths of Americans said they always wash up after changing a diaper, 78 percent said they do so after handling or eating food; 42 percent after petting a dog or cat, 25 percent after handling money, and 34 percent after coughing or sneezing.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Damn I knew I forgot to do something after I dropped the kids off at the pool... I'll be right back!!!

Actually, I wash my hands all the time - every once in a blue moon I might forget at work, but never, never at a public restroom.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Newsflash: My penis is a lot cleaner than those faucet handles.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Newsflash: My penis is a lot cleaner than those faucet handles.
    Never been used? (hee hee)

Here's the way to do it if anyone's interested in looking like a total dweeb in the public restroom:
    Turn the water on.
    Wash hands.
    Dry hands with paper towel.
    Use paper towel to grip faucet and turn it off.

You can also use a paper towel to grab the door handle, which is also pretty germy.

I became a concientous hand washer about three years ago and I've noticed a marked decrease in the number of times I've gotten sick since then. I used to catch at least two colds every winter. I've only had one bad one in the last three years. Coincidence? Maybe. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The thing is, in cooking school one has hygiene, particularly hand washing, heavily drummed in. All day long, washing continually.

Then one goes to the pub after work and uses the appallingly unclean restroom (which may occasionally feature soap, paper towels never)...

Now after...err...Number 2, it's a different story. Providing there's toilet paper before one even sits down.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    Nearly three-fourths of Americans said they always wash up after changing a diaper.

That's the part that grosses me out. It's a dirty diaper dammit! You know it's got baby poop in it. Just because you don't see any baby shit on your fingers doesn't mean that germs arent there. Germs are microscopic! Unless you're Superman, I'd wash my hands just to be safe.

Sorry for the rant, but that's a big pet peeve of mine. My brother-in-law never washes his hands. He has a two year old kid who's still in diapers. I can't tell you how many times I've been at a family dinner and seen him lean over in his chair, change his kid's diaper on the floor, stuff the poopy diaper into the diaper bag, and then sit back up and keep eating.
    Then he'll do something like take an ear of corn off of the serving platter with his bare hands, and then pass the platter to me. Someday I'd like to call him out on it--"Gee, Steve, your baby's shit really adds a nice aroma to this dinner. And now I get to taste some too! Yummy!"--but it's an in-law thing and those are always complicated. I'm trying to hold my tongue until the kid is potty trained.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Urine is said to be sterile, thus I've always just pissed on my hands and let them air dry...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

The worst of these in bars and pubs. Why is why they dont have bowls of peanuts there any more...
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I wash my hands after using the restroom, but I've seen many that don't. If they're just taking a whiz, it might not be so bad, but after they've taken a big honkin' shit? Gross!!!

Here's another thing: Why do restroom doors almost always open in? Wouldn't it be more convenient to have the door open out, so when you are leaving the restroom, you could just open the door with your foot? That's how I flush the toilet in a public restroom, I use my foot on the handle. Just grabbing that handle after washing my hands kind of grosses me out when I know for a fact that a large percentage of men don't wash their hands.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Here's the way to do it if anyone's interested in looking like a total dweeb in the public restroom:
    Turn the water on.
    Wash hands.
    Dry hands with paper towel.
    Use paper towel to grip faucet and turn it off.

You can also use a paper towel to grab the door handle, which is also pretty germy.
    That's EXACTLY what I do. I even drop the paper towel on the floor on my way out.

As for flushing public toilets, I use my foot.

Ted
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    As for flushing public toilets, I use my foot.

Ted
    I do the same thing. No way am I touching that handle!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

One of the most gross things to handle is money. Forget the handle... getting change from the bartender at the end of a busy night? Germ central! Hmmm!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

As for flushing public toilets, I use my foot

Me too...And I always wash.
    Wash your hands ya dirty bastoids...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    One of the most gross things to handle is money. Forget the handle... getting change from the bartender at the end of a busy night? Germ central! Hmmm!
    A little tid-bit on the cleanliness of money:

May 2001

From American Society for Microbiology

The true return on the dollar: No clean bill of health
    Maybe it's time for some literal money laundering. A study presented today at the General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology reports that paper currency is commonly contaminated with bacteria, and this may play a role in the transmission of potentially harmful organisms.

One-dollar bills collected at a food concession stand at a high-school sporting event and a check-out lane at a grocery store near Dayton, Ohio were tested for bacterial contamination by Dr. Peter Ender and his associates at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.

They found that the majority of the 68 dollar bills they studied were contaminated with the types of bacteria that can cause infection. Five bills were contaminated with types of bacteria that commonly cause infections in healthy people, and 59 were contaminated with types of bacteria that can cause significant infections in hospitalized patients and those with depressed immune systems. No bacterial contamination was detected on four bills.

"One-dollar bills are widely used and each is exchanged many times," Ender says. "If some are contaminated with bacteria, there is potential to spread these organisms from person to person." There are very few data on the degree to which paper money is contaminated with bacteria.

"It is important to note that this study of 68 dollar-bills out of the billions in the general circulation did not prove that bacteria can be spread from person to person during the exchange of money," Ender cautions. "A more complex study involving molecular biologic methods would be required to accomplish that objective. However, this study highlights the possibility that money can be a vehicle for rapid spread of bacteria."

Patrons at each of the study locations were asked to exchange a one-dollar bill for a new bill, and contamination on the used bills was analyzed using standard microbiologic techniques. Five bills were contaminated with Staphylococcus aureus and Klebsiella pneumoniae, which can cause infections in healthy people. Fifty-nine were contaminated with Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Enterobacter, Pseudomonas, and other types that can pose infection risks in hospitalized or immune-compromised patients.