VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default New Hampshire and Massachusetts Linkers

Hey guys, and gals,

I am writing here to ask for help. I have been coming to this site for a long time and, although I don't post alot, I have seen when others have posted a thread asking for advice, or help, and they usually get alot of great responses from the people here.

Basically, my problem is that I need to find a good job. I had to quit my landscaping job earlier this year due to the fact that I could no longer endure the physical pounding that a season of landscaping puts on the body. I had been a landscaper for 15 years and all of the thousands of pounds that I had lifted, all of the shoveling that I had done, all of the raking and everything else had finally caught up with me.

Unfortunately, I did not do the right thing, back when I had injured myself on the job which happend quite a few times, and see a doctor and put claims in to workman's comp to get the injuries documented. So now, even though it is clear that my back is as bad as it is because of 15 years of landscaping, I cannot get any help from workman's comp. And now, because I am unemployed, I have no health insurance as well.

I know what your probabaly thinking, something like, "Who's gonna hire this guy?" and believe me that has been the problem. I thought I had a job in the Postal Service. Went through the testing process and the application process. Finally, I got a call from a local post office about a potential job, but as soon as they found out about my back....you guessed it, it was bye bye job. This happened a couple of other times as well.

So, what to do now? Believe me the thought of just "tapping out" has crossed my mind many a time over the last few months. But, I cannot do that. I won't give up. I still have something left to offer. I just need to find the right job.

That is where you guys come in, I hope. The Van Halen community, on the whole, is a great one. We work hard, we play hard, we help each other out when one of us is down. I am looking for some of that help right now. If any of you, in the Mass./NH area, knows of a job that is available, or has a contact, anything, any information about a possible job would be most appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

what would be your field of interest considering your circumstances?
    Once you figure that out, take a note pad and start logging your potential
    employers. Make notes of all phone numbers, HR folks etc.
    My guess is that if you come up with a game plan, you will surely find a
    job that suits you...
    With regard to "tapping out", I would leave that to the professionals
    There's no shame in getting things off your chest to a psychologist.
    Stay positive!

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. I was starting to think no one would reply to this. I am already doing all of the things that you mentioned. I have to in order to get unemployment.
    Reality won't budge

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Obviously, I don't know you, so I have no idea what you're like, etc. But I know that what you did for 15 years is a grind, so you've got some ability to put up with bullshit to make a living.

If I was stuck with no job and no prospects in what I had been doing, I'd probably go into some kind of retail management. It's a job that's in demand because it's a tough job with not so great pay, but it'll pay bills and provide a career. I realize you're used to working outside, but that's all I can think of. Not sure what else to tell you. There are careers out there but they aren't easy roads, and may not be for you. Just got to give it a shot. My sister-in-law's husband was driving trucks for a living, had done it for years. One day he comes home and tells her he quit, he's going to plumbing school. Was a tough couple of years, but he did it, and he's better off for it.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dilemma but I admire your will to try all avenues for help, such as turning to the people on this site.

Have you thought about something dispatching for the police or fire department? Or the EMT's?

That's not my occupation but I am familiar with it and believe most cities and towns frequently post job opportunities in it. It's honest work with no strain on your back other than sitting for 8 hours. Just a thought I had given your situation.

Best of luck!!
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the advice and well wishes fellas. I really appreciate it.

A possible great position for me has actually materialized through a family connection, so I am hopeful that it will pan out.
    Reality won't budge