Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Secrets to Getting Good Tickets?

I know that we've all bitched and moaned about seeing seats show up on broker sites as being available before they even go onsale/presale to the general public. With Led Zep announcing their one-off, I put my name in the hat for their lottery system (along with reportedly at least 20 Mn other people already) on their site (http://ahmettribute.com/). What was interesting with the LZ sign-up is that their FAQ mentions that if they see tickets show up on auction sites, those people will lose their rights to the seats, even if they've already been paid for.

Out of curiousity, I did a search on eBay for tickets to this thing, just to see if there was anyone trying to scam, and found a listing for a downloadable pdf file of supposedly secrets of the trade of how brokers/scalpers supposedly are able to get access to good tickets to all hot events, etc. I took it a step further and did a google search, and found people selling similar things on their websites at varying prices.

I am not endorsing any of these guys, but am wondering if any of you have come across these supposed "secrets/tricks of the trade" or if this is yet another b.s. scam. Skimming some of the write-ups, one mentions that it will let you know optimal internet settings for going on TM, the ability to gain access to tickets before they're actually onsale, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-ZEPPELIN-HOW...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.seeeveryshow.com/scalping_history.html

http://store.payloadz.com/str-asp-i....nd-detail.html

Just figured if any of you have come across something like this, we might want to try and collectively beat the brokers (scalpers) at their own game, if this is for real.

The only other theory that I know of has been alluded to in other threads: that artists simply set aside allotments for brokers that they deal with at much higher prices than are listed officially for the general public, who in turn do their own mark-ups to turn a profit, to which we don't have much of a defense against, aside of simply not buying through them.
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

I have had success with previous concerts regarding buying a ticket off ticketmaster the day before or the day of the show. I got a 2nd row seat during the last Page/Plant tour in Utah the day of the show on a ticketing website for face value. I also got a front row seat the day before the show during the VH "3" tour in La$ Vega$ in '98. If you don't mind taking a chance, try checking ticketmaster the day before or the day of the show to find tix.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

For the RHRN tour in '93 my buddy and I showed up around 2 hours before the show to drink in the parking lot and tailgate a bit. I noticed the box office was open to the so called "sold out" show. I asked if they had any tickets and they said they were selling some that were "just released" (the band didn't use their allotment theory). We managed to get 2 9th row center seats for face value (we went back out in the parking lot and scalped our crappier pavillion seats for above face and walked into the show feeling like we robbed a bank). I've tried this with other bands/shows and have had mixed success. Sometimes I was shutout and sometimes I scored what I considered decent seats. I guess it just depends on the band.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    I have had success with previous concerts regarding buying a ticket off ticketmaster the day before or the day of the show. I got a 2nd row seat during the last Page/Plant tour in Utah the day of the show on a ticketing website for face value. I also got a front row seat the day before the show during the VH "3" tour in La$ Vega$ in '98. If you don't mind taking a chance, try checking ticketmaster the day before or the day of the show to find tix.
    i've tried that recently with rush and genesis to no avail (didn't get tix to begin with because i wasn't sure about my availability)... i once got great seats to see mccartney in nj buying last minute new release tix about a day or two before the show just a few years ago... typically i take my chances on the onsale date, or presale date - but having read by some posters that presales tend to include not so hot seats, it seemed to make sense based on a few prior experiences, although i have gotten some great seats during presales...

my whole point though is to try and combat any loopholes in the system by taking advantage of them ourselves... i'm not in this to make a buck, i just want great seats at a reasonable or fair price...

i know that at least one little trick that some friends use is buying single tickets to events... they then get into the floor and are sometimes able to move around... it's harder when sections get strictly guarded... but this isn't the kind of thing i'm looking for that i described in my original post... i'm wondering if there really exist ways to legitimately get at tix ahead of time, etc.
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    For the RHRN tour in '93 my buddy and I showed up around 2 hours before the show to drink in the parking lot and tailgate a bit. I noticed the box office was open to the so called "sold out" show. I asked if they had any tickets and they said they were selling some that were "just released" (the band didn't use their allotment theory). We managed to get 2 9th row center seats for face value (we went back out in the parking lot and scalped our crappier pavillion seats for above face and walked into the show feeling like we robbed a bank). I've tried this with other bands/shows and have had mixed success. Sometimes I was shutout and sometimes I scored what I considered decent seats. I guess it just depends on the band.
    yeah, i'm just wondering how many of these opportunities will be available for this particular tour... i also live in the nyc area and i'm thinking that the large pool of potential people chasing tix is going to be working against me...

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

02.01.08 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    Does that actually work? Can you get a gnarly seat the day of or before the show off ticketmaster? Why is that?
    I used to play Van Halen songs on the drums so hard my hands would bleed...sigh...good times

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:15 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

I used to be a ticket broker.

What I would do, is call ticketmaster at 9:50, and then tell them my goal is to stay on until 10 to buy good seats, and that I would be willing to purchase items they are selling where they make commission (they would get commission on stupid dvds, cds, shirts, gift cards, etc). So they get something, I get something. It worked 9 out of 10 times. I got Pit row A for VH (I didn't scalp those)

With that said, getting excellent seats a day before off of classifieds, scalpers, ebay, etc almost always works. In 2004, I got pit seats for VH at 9:00AM the day of the show off of Ticketmaster (bought and searched for 1 seat) Scalpers almost always over purchase for concerts and take losses the days before a show. They never want to sell to people in front of the place.

I stated in another link, how I also would get decent seats and bribe (trade tickets and give cash)my way up to the front (At a VH show in Buckeye Lake OH, a friend and I started in the lawn, after $200 and maybe 5 bribes, we ended up in the front row center.

I've had front row center for 4 straight VH concerts. So the above works.
    Right here I say....

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post

I stated in another link, how I also would get decent seats and bribe (trade tickets and give cash)my way up to the front (At a VH show in Buckeye Lake OH, a friend and I started in the lawn, after $200 and maybe 5 bribes, we ended up in the front row center.

Sounds like a good plan - but with tickets priced as high as they are now, I think you would have to be prepared to lay out alot more than $200.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What I would do, is call ticketmaster at 9:50, and then tell them my goal is to stay on until 10 to buy good seats, and that I would be willing to purchase items they are selling where they make commission (they would get commission on stupid dvds, cds, shirts, gift cards, etc). So they get something, I get something. It worked 9 out of 10 times. I got Pit row A for VH (I didn't scalp those)

With that said, getting excellent seats a day before off of classifieds, scalpers, ebay, etc almost always works. In 2004, I got pit seats for VH at 9:00AM the day of the show off of Ticketmaster (bought and searched for 1 seat) Scalpers almost always over purchase for concerts and take losses the days before a show. They never want to sell to people in front of the place.

the phone thing sounds like an interesting idea, and i know i've heard people say that you should find a number that isn't local to call because that particular line may be getting inundated when or just before the onsale goes live...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.12.12 @ 01:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did it the ole fashoned way I spent $750 a seat on I Love All Access
    "Once believed,Can't ever loose faith."

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:15 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazy levi View Post
    Sounds like a good plan - but with tickets priced as high as they are now, I think you would have to be prepared to lay out alot more than $200.
    You may be right. But sometimes moving up may only mean $10, (other times $40-$50). Like I said, you will get turned down a lot. My best was when I finally made it to the 2nd row, walked up to the front row center people, asked them how they got their seats. They said they won them on the radio. I asked them if they would move to the 2nd row side for $20 and they jumped on it. They said they didn't even like VH.
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You may be right. But sometimes moving up may only mean $10, (other times $40-$50). Like I said, you will get turned down a lot. My best was when I finally made it to the 2nd row, walked up to the front row center people, asked them how they got their seats. They said they won them on the radio. I asked them if they would move to the 2nd row side for $20 and they jumped on it. They said they didn't even like VH.
    amazing how often that happens - you should have to be at least a casual fan of the artist to win tix, rather than just winning through dumb luck because you're caller #---

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 from the wait View Post
    I did it the ole fashoned way I spent $750 a seat on I Love All Access
    more power to you and you should have a blast with those seats, but i'm not in a position to consider the 5 star... i did 4 star the last time, and the pricing was a little more reasonable, but even those have nearly doubled since '04...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had pretty good luck just being patient and not jumping on the first ticket that ticketmaster offers.

On the '04 tour, I got tickets to the Cleveland show the minute they went on sale and was way up in the rafters. The next week they were in Columbus, and the day of the show I logged onto Ticketmaster and got 15th row center.

I did the same thing for a Bon Jovi Concert in '05.

And for this tour, I tried to get tickets the day they went on sale for Greensboro, Cleveland, and Washington DC. All I got were upper level seats, so I decided I'd take my chances and wait it out.

Last week I logged onto Ticketmaster and got 2 tickets on the floor in the 15th row on Eddie's side of the stage for the Greensboro show, so I jumped on those.

So, I've decided that buying the tickets the day they go on sale might be a good idea if you're wanting more than 2 tickets together. If you're just buying 1 or 2 tickets, I think you get much better seats closer to the date of the show.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    yeah, i'm just wondering how many of these opportunities will be available for this particular tour... i also live in the nyc area and i'm thinking that the large pool of potential people chasing tix is going to be working against me...
    NYC is always tough. I don't think I've ever seen a "ticket drop" for MSG- that is tickets don't just magically pop up the day of the show for the floor. Virtually everywhere else yes.

Outside of MSG is also (still) rife with counterfiet tickets.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Cryin'
    Last Online

04.20.08 @ 07:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They said they didn't even like VH.
    In my opinion, you have to be an asshole to call in to win something you don't even want/like. My aunt once won tickets to Def Leppard from a radio station. She did not/does not know who Def Leppard are and did not attend nor sell the tickets. What a bitch!