Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.02.14 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VH Song with Everything

The more I listen to the song "5150", the more I realize that it could possibly be the song that is the epitomy of what Van Halen was. "5150" basically is a showcase of each members individual talent wrapped around one tight and complete song. It really has everything in it that real fans like in Van Halen.

Think about it. Mike and Alex are holding the beat down and each get to show their part as the solid, methodical base of the band. There are individual moments where the bass and the dums can be heard clear enough to be given a few lines of their own mini solos right in the middle of the song.

With Eddie, there is not much of a need to explain any further. It is understood that this riff and solo are tremendous. It is concise and well thought out and the playing just kicks you in the gut each time you hear it. Eddie was at his best.

I know Sam gets blasted a lot for his lyrics, however, this time he weaves a cool story around a supurb arrangement of music. Certain lines can ring true in any situation. He really brings it home to each individual listening to the song. For example, "I feel like a running politician/Just tryin' to please you all the time". Haven't we all felt like that at one time? Its hard rock music that "speaks" directly to the listener and allows them to pesonalize it and make it their own.

Together, I thing the four of them were making magic on that song and it is a shame the song didn't really take off with a lot of fans back in 1986. Also, they only drug that song out very sporaticly after the 1986 tour. It is a shame 'cause that song makes me like Van Halen more and more as time goes on.

What do you all think? That song just seems special in a very meaningful way to the band and many fans.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by eman2; 09.15.07 at 06:57 AM.

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think what you mean is that it's the best example of everything that was great about Van Hagar.

I won't get into Hagar is better than Roth deal here, but there are plenty of songs from the 6 pack that are arguably as good as anything that Van Hagar put out there.

As for Eddie being at his best, there are moments in II, FW, DD, and 1984 that again are arguably just as good as the track 5150 . . .for my taste. Others like to talk about VH1 alot but it's not in my top 3 for VH records.

The only thing that makes me absolutely cringe about 5150 the album is the electric drums. I hated that Alex recorded 1984 with rototoms and then switched to electrics for the tour and the 5150 album and tour.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    I think what you mean is that it's the best example of everything that was great about Van Hagar.

I won't get into Hagar is better than Roth deal here, but there are plenty of songs from the 6 pack that are arguably as good as anything that Van Hagar put out there.

As for Eddie being at his best, there are moments in II, FW, DD, and 1984 that again are arguably just as good as the track 5150 . . .for my taste. Others like to talk about VH1 alot but it's not in my top 3 for VH records.

The only thing that makes me absolutely cringe about 5150 the album is the electric drums. I hated that Alex recorded 1984 with rototoms and then switched to electrics for the tour and the 5150 album and tour.
    No.

What I mean is regardless of the singer, the song "5150" is the best example of the showcasing of what Van Halen was and could be if they would contine to make that kind of music. That song had everything in it. 4 individual members coming together to make it all fit as one complete song.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eman2 View Post
    No.

What I mean is regardless of the singer, the song "5150" is the best example of the showcasing of what Van Halen was and could be if they would contine to make that kind of music. That song had everything in it. 4 individual members coming together to make it all fit as one complete song.
    Then no. It's not the best example. Lots of their tunes have 'everything it it'.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

"I'm the One"

No question about it in my mind. Playing is exceptional and all over the place, Roth is screaming and singing, Mike and laying it down and singing some great BG vocals, and Alex is wailing on those drums. There is even the acapela part for that silly VH cheese that everyone loves. That song epitomizes Van Halen to me. Just bad ass from beginning to end but never long enough to appear to take themselves seriously. There is no better song and no better band.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Really this is a subjective topic. Everyone can name the song they think highlights each member at his peak and is thee VH tune to top all VH tunes. There are many different opinions on what the #1 tune would be.

No one person is right.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Really this is a subjective topic. Everyone can name the song they think highlights each member at his peak and is thee VH tune to top all VH tunes. There are many different opinions on what the #1 tune would be.

No one person is right.
    The thread is not a "what is your favorite song" thread. I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed that each band member seemed to be highlighted in "5150" more than in other VH songs. I think "5150" is the peak song for that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Fire In The Hole
    Last Online

04.30.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

ehm truelly a great song as you described it, but does this song have anything from Dave in it ? nope so it cant be the perfect VH song since Van Halen was mainly about Dave...

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

NO!!!! "5150" is the greatest VH song, period, and it showcases everything that VH has.
    Sammy was a given, and gave them a spark and a major kick in the arse.
    "5150" is not just my fave VH song, but my fave of all time. Its inspiring, it has a story and has all the major elements that a classic needs.

"Feelin" is a good one too.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

most of them
    Favorite VH Song

ditto
    Last Online

04.14.10 @ 11:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not intending to rock the boat or anything but I wouldn't even put "5150" in my top 25 Van Hagar era tracks. I like the catchy intro and the verse riff but I don't especially like the little uptempo shift they go into, it just sounds a bit cliche'd IMO. then there's that little breakdown before the chorus which is great, but I'm not a fan of the chorus. to me the track sounds like a bunch of riffs and idead tacked together, more than a flowing song. And even though I've probably listened to the track a million times I can't even remember how the solo goes, in my head right now, LOL...each to their own though. off that album I'd have to say "Good Enough" is the ultimate VH 'showcase' track. no doubt someone will disagree...
    Last edited by DBC; 09.15.07 at 07:11 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

5150 is awesome no doubt. Probably one of the strongest musical moments on record for VH. However, I don't think it has everything. From a hook standpoint it does not have that VH hook. I would have to say the VH song with everything would have to be Jump. Great hook, awesome breakdown, the classic Van Halen party personality, keyboard solo, awesome guitar tone and solo and a very difinitive video that summarizes why we all love VH. Having said that, it's not my favorite but it has EVERYTHING. Other close contenders for me would include Dance The Night Away, Unchained, Hot For Teacher, Dreams, Mine All Mine, Cabo Wabo and Top Of The World.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Unchained
    Last Online

11.01.15 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    "I'm the One"
    Seconded. Strongly.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Sinner's Swing...

Awesome lyrically and Dave with perfectly timed screams..

Ed absolutely shreds in his solo..

Al with the old school blistering drum beat and awesome fills, especially during the chorus after the solo..

Mike with his standard great backing vocals and swing-style bass line..

I think this song epitomizes the VH sound with its high powered swing feel. I've listened to it hundreds of times over and it still hasn't lost its appeal.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

How Many Say I....Everything else is shit............
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

5150 SUCKS!!

The S on the Van Halen 2007 stage stands for the next new Van Halen hit,"So Long Sammie Not So Nice To Know Ya Your Lyrics Are Shitty Stop Woofin' Down All Those Cheeseburgers You Sack Of Shit"
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell