Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default "Dummy" Ampeg SVT Amp Head?

    The winners to Mike's recipe contest were posted on his website on 9/5. Part of the grand prize was "an Ampeg SVT dummy amplifier head from the 1992 VH tour, autographed by Michael." Now the FUCK tour from '91/'92 was the first in the Hagar era that saw the band put lots of amps on stage, and I always wondered if they were taking the "dummy" approach an using only a few for function and the rest for show. Is this confirmation of that? Does anyone know the story of VH's real and dummy amp use from this and other tours?

    AND THE ENVELOPE PLEASE...
    POSTED: 9/05/07

    The winners have been chosen in the Mad Anthony Recipe Contest! We received all kinds of really tasty entries and picking the winners was no easy task. Thank you to everyone who entered and be sure to check out the WALL OF FAME to see all the weekly and overall contest winners!

    GRAND PRIZE
    Stuffed Jalapeño Peppers
    Recipe by Pat Realyvasquez

    RUNNERS UP
    Firehouse Enchiladas - Recipe by Doug Jones
    Ass Burnin' Chili - Recipe by Bryn Netz
    Chicken Salad Mad Anthony Style - Recipe by Trina Michalak
    Pork Tequila Ribs - Recipe by Randy Wilkerson
    Spicy Garlic Shrimp - Recipe by Tammy Zenda

    The Grand Prize winner will receive an Ampeg SVT dummy amplifier head from the 1992 VH tour, autographed by Michael; one autographed Mad Anthony tee and one case of any flavor Mad Anthony's sauce.

    The five (5) Runners Up will each receive one case of any flavor Mad Anthony's sauce and one Mad Anthony tee.

    Congratulations to all the winners! Over the next few days, we'll post all recipes received during the contest on the WALL OF FAME; be on the lookout!

  2. #2
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.16.03
    Posts
    1,243
    Last Online

    07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    The winners to Mike's recipe contest were posted on his website on 9/5. Part of the grand prize was "an Ampeg SVT dummy amplifier head from the 1992 VH tour, autographed by Michael." Now the FUCK tour from '91/'92 was the first in the Hagar era that saw the band put lots of amps on stage, and I always wondered if they were taking the "dummy" approach an using only a few for function and the rest for show. Is this confirmation of that? Does anyone know the story of VH's real and dummy amp use from this and other tours?

    AND THE ENVELOPE PLEASE...
    POSTED: 9/05/07

    The winners have been chosen in the Mad Anthony Recipe Contest! We received all kinds of really tasty entries and picking the winners was no easy task. Thank you to everyone who entered and be sure to check out the WALL OF FAME to see all the weekly and overall contest winners!

    GRAND PRIZE
    Stuffed Jalapeño Peppers
    Recipe by Pat Realyvasquez

    RUNNERS UP
    Firehouse Enchiladas - Recipe by Doug Jones
    Ass Burnin' Chili - Recipe by Bryn Netz
    Chicken Salad Mad Anthony Style - Recipe by Trina Michalak
    Pork Tequila Ribs - Recipe by Randy Wilkerson
    Spicy Garlic Shrimp - Recipe by Tammy Zenda

    The Grand Prize winner will receive an Ampeg SVT dummy amplifier head from the 1992 VH tour, autographed by Michael; one autographed Mad Anthony tee and one case of any flavor Mad Anthony's sauce.

    The five (5) Runners Up will each receive one case of any flavor Mad Anthony's sauce and one Mad Anthony tee.

    Congratulations to all the winners! Over the next few days, we'll post all recipes received during the contest on the WALL OF FAME; be on the lookout!
    Its not an uncommon practice. It wouldn't surprise me.

  3. #3
    Cabo-holic cabo_brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    2,078
    Last Online

    08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    The winners to Mike's recipe contest were posted on his website on 9/5. Part of the grand prize was "an Ampeg SVT dummy amplifier head from the 1992 VH tour, autographed by Michael." Now the FUCK tour from '91/'92 was the first in the Hagar era that saw the band put lots of amps on stage, and I always wondered if they were taking the "dummy" approach an using only a few for function and the rest for show. Is this confirmation of that? Does anyone know the story of VH's real and dummy amp use from this and other tours?

    AND THE ENVELOPE PLEASE...
    POSTED: 9/05/07

    The winners have been chosen in the Mad Anthony Recipe Contest! We received all kinds of really tasty entries and picking the winners was no easy task. Thank you to everyone who entered and be sure to check out the WALL OF FAME to see all the weekly and overall contest winners!

    GRAND PRIZE
    Stuffed Jalapeño Peppers
    Recipe by Pat Realyvasquez

    RUNNERS UP
    Firehouse Enchiladas - Recipe by Doug Jones
    Ass Burnin' Chili - Recipe by Bryn Netz
    Chicken Salad Mad Anthony Style - Recipe by Trina Michalak
    Pork Tequila Ribs - Recipe by Randy Wilkerson
    Spicy Garlic Shrimp - Recipe by Tammy Zenda

    The Grand Prize winner will receive an Ampeg SVT dummy amplifier head from the 1992 VH tour, autographed by Michael; one autographed Mad Anthony tee and one case of any flavor Mad Anthony's sauce.

    The five (5) Runners Up will each receive one case of any flavor Mad Anthony's sauce and one Mad Anthony tee.

    Congratulations to all the winners! Over the next few days, we'll post all recipes received during the contest on the WALL OF FAME; be on the lookout!

    Never thought of it til you mention it...there was an extraordinary number of amps on the stage for that tour...especially as we compare to other tours.
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...


    VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

    The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

  4. #4
    Unchained oldno.7's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.12.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    549
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    02.12.13 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    As a bass player, I always loved Michael Anthony's "Mt. Ampeg" rigs on the F.U.C.K. (16 SVT 8x10s!), RHRN and Balance tours, but have surmised that many of the amps/cabs were dummies. As MA says in the November '95 issue of Bass Player Magazine regarding his stage rig setup for the Balance Tour:

    Q: Is your stage rig as large as it has been in the past?

    A:This time I've got eight SVT bottoms onstage, but I'm going into only half of those . . .

    Q: So why are there 16 SVT head sitting on top of the cabinets?

    A: Well . . .they've got lights in 'em! [Laughs.] If you look closely, there's one head in the middle with red LEDs instead of green ones; that's the real head. My tech and I went through every worst-case scenario--if my rack fails, I've got that SCT-II Pro head powering two of the bottoms. I can wlk back there, plug in, flip the standby switch and go.
    "With me in the band, it's one of those miraculous 97-97 deals. It's 97 percent you and 97 percent moi. Is it Mick or Keith? I don't know" -DLR

    "We eventually started playing clubs, and we also did weddings. We played everything from the Ohio Players to K.C. & the Sunshine Band. You would love the sight of Van Halen doing 'Get Down Tonight'! But by the third set when everybody was good and tanked up--boy, we'd be blazin'!" -Michael Anthony

  5. #5
    Cabo-holic cabo_brent's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    2,078
    Last Online

    08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    man, i wish i could play...
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...


    VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

    The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

  6. #6
    On Fire
    Join Date
    05.02.05
    Posts
    395
    Last Online

    04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, I think Ed only used 3 or 4 out of his stacks. I think he had 1 or 2 clean and 1 or 2 dirty. It looked cool as hell, all four times I saw it!

  7. #7
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldno.7 View Post
    As a bass player, I always loved Michael Anthony's "Mt. Ampeg" rigs on the F.U.C.K. (16 SVT 8x10s!), RHRN and Balance tours, but have surmised that many of the amps/cabs were dummies. As MA says in the November '95 issue of Bass Player Magazine regarding his stage rig setup for the Balance Tour:

    Q: Is your stage rig as large as it has been in the past?

    A:This time I've got eight SVT bottoms onstage, but I'm going into only half of those . . .

    Q: So why are there 16 SVT head sitting on top of the cabinets?

    A: Well . . .they've got lights in 'em! [Laughs.] If you look closely, there's one head in the middle with red LEDs instead of green ones; that's the real head. My tech and I went through every worst-case scenario--if my rack fails, I've got that SCT-II Pro head powering two of the bottoms. I can wlk back there, plug in, flip the standby switch and go.
    Cool then! That answers it.

  8. #8
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanBlu View Post
    Yeah, I think Ed only used 3 or 4 out of his stacks. I think he had 1 or 2 clean and 1 or 2 dirty. It looked cool as hell, all four times I saw it!
    Ed's rig has always been about one cab for the flat guitar tone and two cabinets for stereo effects. In '04 four cabs were miked up, and on Balance he had combos with him for clean tones. So there was of course different configurations going on there. I liked the III set-up the most: three cabs, all being used, and that was it.

  9. #9
    Romeo Delight jonsey36's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.06.04
    Location
    South Carolina/California
    Posts
    51
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it Later
    Last Online

    04.27.12 @ 06:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Not that anyone cares, but I was runner up number one... I got a bonus signed MA shirt which I never expected. I also got a case of his discontinued hot sauce (mild) which six bottles came from Mike's personal stash, I was told in the email...

    MA ROCKS!!!!!
    1978 New Haven Coliseum w / Black Sabbath
    1979 New Haven Coliseum VH II
    1980 Hartford Civic Center Women and Children first
    1981 New Haven Coliseum Fair Warning
    1982 New Haven Coliseum Diver Down
    1984 Hartford Civic Center 1984
    1984 New Haven Coliseum 1984
    1986 New Haven Coliseum "Live without a Net night 1"
    1986 New Haven Coliseum "Live without a Net night 2"
    1988 Hartford, CT, Providence Civic Center, 1988 San Diego ou812
    1991 Irvine, CA, F.U.C.K
    1991 San Bernadino, CA, F.U.C.K
    1993 San Berandino CA, Right here, right now
    1995 Irvine, CA, Balance
    2004 Anaheim, CA, reunion tour
    2004 Los Angeles, CA, reunion tour
    2004 Los Angeles, CA, reunion tour
    2004 Las Vegas, CA, reunion tour
    2007 Charlotte, NC VH REUNION!
    2007 Greensboro, NC VH Reunion!
    2007 Los Angeles, CA, VH REUNION!
    2007 Anaheim, CA, VH REUNION! night 1
    2007 Anaheim, CA, VH REUNION! night 2
    2012 Charlotte, NC
    2012 Greensboro, NC

  10. #10
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.20.04
    Posts
    1,374
    Last Online

    06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Likes
    207
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Ed's rig has always been about one cab for the flat guitar tone and two cabinets for stereo effects. In '04 four cabs were miked up, and on Balance he had combos with him for clean tones. So there was of course different configurations going on there. I liked the III set-up the most: three cabs, all being used, and that was it.
    the 4th cab in 04' was for when he brought Wolf out during the solo, otherwise the same wet-dry-wet

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    the 4th cab in 04' was for when he brought Wolf out during the solo, otherwise the same wet-dry-wet
    That makes sense. And somewhere out there is a picture of the road case from '04 with three labeled 5150 IIs--Ed's main amp, the backup, and Wolf's.

  12. #12
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    07.25.04
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    277
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    That makes sense. And somewhere out there is a picture of the road case from '04 with three labeled 5150 IIs--Ed's main amp, the backup, and Wolf's.

    Don't forget Al's 4x12.
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

    EVH

  13. #13
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.20.04
    Posts
    1,374
    Last Online

    06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Likes
    207
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    no cab for Al, in ear monitors.

  14. #14
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    no cab for Al, in ear monitors.
    Since the Balance tour...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. "Say Uncle," "You Wear It Well," "River Wide" and "Left for Dead."
    By extreme red roth in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12.28.16, 06:31 PM
  2. The "Song Stuck in Your Head" Thread
    By Viking in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05.02.15, 02:50 PM
  3. Remember that Bomb Necklace/Pizza Guy whose head went "POOF"?
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07.13.07, 03:19 PM
  4. Story of a "Dave Head"
    By dj88 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02.13.02, 09:44 AM
  5. Story of a "Dave Head"
    By dj88 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02.11.02, 07:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •