Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Can't pick just one
    Favorite VH Song

Again...Can't pick just one
    Last Online

03.16.17 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eddie is using guitar back up his hip again!

This may sound kind of silly to some but to guitar players out there (which I know in this forum are like all of us) might know where Im coming from.

In the rehearsal picks Eddie is seen using the guitar high in his Hip. During the 04 tour he was using it a lot lower. During his golden years all Eddies pics show him using it high on his hip. Hell, look at the pic from the VH Store 1984 shirt.

My point, this insignificant detail to some might actually make a huge difference in the sound of this tour. This might be a sign that he is more aware of his playing hence he might actually sound like the Eddie we all love and not the guy from the 04 tour. Maybe as a result of "sobriety" he gain back some of his abilities and technique.

If you play guitar you will know this, playing with the guitar higher might not look as cool but is far easier to reach high frets and easier to play fast runs.

Just thinking!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa Vertical View Post
    This may sound kind of silly to some but to guitar players out there (which I know in this forum are like all of us) might know where Im coming from.

In the rehearsal picks Eddie is seen using the guitar high in his Hip. During the 04 tour he was using it a lot lower. During his golden years all Eddies pics show him using it high on his hip. Hell, look at the pic from the VH Store 1984 shirt.

My point, this insignificant detail to some might actually make a huge difference in the sound of this tour. This might be a sign that he is more aware of his playing hence he might actually sound like the Eddie we all love and not the guy from the 04 tour. Maybe as a result of "sobriety" he gain back some of his abilities and technique.

If you play guitar you will know this, playing with the guitar higher might not look as cool but is far easier to reach high frets and easier to play fast runs.

Just thinking!
    I think he realized back in '04 that having his guitar down low he didn't hit it with the wine bottle.
    The wine bottle is gone and the guitar is back in its rightful place.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

I agree with the original post.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Last Online

08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

time for all the guitar players on the site to give a non-player like me some expert opinions.
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...

VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.23.09 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's true... the lower the guitar is the tougher it is to play well and hit all the notes you want. I noticed on the 04 tour eddies guitar was super low and that definitely factored into his sub-par playing. It's good to hear he's smartened up and shortened that guitar strap of his... we'll hear some solid evh this tour. I'm not gonna lie, the height of the guitar DOES make a big difference, from personal experience and watching other guitarists.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I agree with the original post. I always wondered how Jimmy Page was able to play with the guitar as low as he did. Looks cool, but a bitch to play that way.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It's all true. The higher the guitar, the better the technique.
    Of course, the lower the guitar, the cooler you look. You have to strike a balance. Eddie managed to look cool with the guitar pretty high. I've actually used pictures from the US festival to set my strap height.
    Nobody looked cooler than Jimmy Page with that Les Paul slung way down low. (Slash is just an imitator in that department.) But Jimmy has never has good technique playing live. However he looks so damn cool you don't notice the sloppy playing.

(Whoops! That's a Telecaster. Oh well, it's a good song...)
    Last edited by Bullwinkle; 09.14.07 at 08:24 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zoso76 View Post
    I agree with the original post. I always wondered how Jimmy Page was able to play with the guitar as low as he did. Looks cool, but a bitch to play that way.

That might explain for some of his sloppy live playing. Jimmy's had some live performances that were less than impressive. Yes, having the guitar up high makes it much easier to play. I find it easier especially for chords. It doesn't look very cool, but it is much more comfortable and easier on the hands.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I did not see it noted anywhere in the rehersal threads so I'll ask.

Is he using a cord or is he back to the wireless system?
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Kinda makes you wonder if his heart is more in this tour than the 2004 one. Either that or he's got a clearer mind and knows what needs fixing this go around

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    That might explain for some of his sloppy live playing. Jimmy's had some live performances that were less than impressive. Yes, having the guitar up high makes it much easier to play. I find it easier especially for chords. It doesn't look very cool, but it is much more comfortable and easier on the hands.
    I don't think all the heroin Page did every night helped with his playing either.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Having your guitar up higher will help you play better, period.

Looking "Cool" is great for those guys who otherwise suck, but for quality players it's easy to overcome the "Archie Effect" simply by kicking holy ass when you play.

'Nuff said.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Yes, on the '04 tour Eddie was playing his guitar lower than ever before. It can't be called the lone factor why his playing was (much) less impressive, but it likely was a factor.

I used to keep my guitar quite high also, but a couple of years ago I started getting pain in my right elbow from not being able to stretch it out while playing. It slowly got lower to Eddie '04-ish levels, and now over the last six months or so it's start to come back up--good technique was just too difficult to execute.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE
    (Whoops! That's a Telecaster. Oh well, it's a good song...)[/QUOTE]

this clip of Jimmy, I'd say his guitar is somewhat high, compared to other videos i have seen of him. I also think it has to do with how tall a person you are. So Ed is a really short dude, so his arms aren't that long. Jimmy Page, seems to be a fairly tall fella, makes sense if his guitar is lower, becuase his arms are longer.

Just my 2 cents. I'm about 5'8", and I play the guitar similar to ed or most of the short guitarist I can think of.

I also think it has to do with the attitude and the way certain guitarist hold their guitars...i could be way off base here, but it seems the professional guys that use Gibsons, generally hold them lower, and that could be becuase their influences all had their guitars lower...

Perhaps there will be a bunch of Morello follower's out there that hold their guitars super high????
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    [QUOTE
    (Whoops! That's a Telecaster. Oh well, it's a good song...)
    this clip of Jimmy, I'd say his guitar is somewhat high, compared to other videos i have seen of him. I also think it has to do with how tall a person you are. So Ed is a really short dude, so his arms aren't that long. Jimmy Page, seems to be a fairly tall fella, makes sense if his guitar is lower, becuase his arms are longer.

Just my 2 cents. I'm about 5'8", and I play the guitar similar to ed or most of the short guitarist I can think of.

I also think it has to do with the attitude and the way certain guitarist hold their guitars...i could be way off base here, but it seems the professional guys that use Gibsons, generally hold them lower, and that could be becuase their influences all had their guitars lower...

Perhaps there will be a bunch of Morello follower's out there that hold their guitars super high????[/QUOTE]
    WTF? My mood kind of dictates how high or low i hang my axe. My play is never affected by the feeling. I think being drunk off your ass while doing so could have an effect though.