Thread: half step down

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default half step down

There may be another thread on this. I'm too lazy too search. Is there any easy way to tune a guitar a half step down, with a guitar that has a floating trem and the locking nut system??? My downfall is that I start to learn a song, or want to play along with something, and most rock tunes are tuned a half step down. I realize that I could just play the tune one fret down, but when you want to ring out that A chord to "rock and roll all night," Doesn't have the same feeling when you are bar chording the whole song...

Any suggestions?
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I'm as old school as possible (by virtue of being old), yet how about using a capo? Granted it would need to be tight if put in the F position, what with the string set up so close to the nut, yet it is a viable option.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ummm why dont you just unlock the nut and tune down and loosen the trem claw that tensions the trem springs?

you just have to have equal tension between the strings and trem springs , you can be in any tuning , even a whole step or 1 and a half , ect , ect.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    There may be another thread on this. I'm too lazy too search. Is there any easy way to tune a guitar a half step down, with a guitar that has a floating trem and the locking nut system??? My downfall is that I start to learn a song, or want to play along with something, and most rock tunes are tuned a half step down. I realize that I could just play the tune one fret down, but when you want to ring out that A chord to "rock and roll all night," Doesn't have the same feeling when you are bar chording the whole song...

Any suggestions?

try this: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/s...une-161585.php

or try this: roland has a modeling amp (the VGA 7-V) that digitally mimics different tunings. but, you may have to use their synth pickup to get it to work.

or maybe this: unlock the nut, set the fine tuners on the floyd a little lower than halfway, re-tune the guitar to the desired pitch with the tuning pegs and then lock the nut. now try detuning a half step down using only the fine tuners on the floyd. since you set them below the halfway mark there should be enough room to get you down a half step.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unlock the nut. Tune each string down about 1 step. This will allow the tension of the bar to settle and eventually you will be able to reach E flat and the rest of the guitar tuned down 1/2 step. the trick is to tune it about 1 step down to start so it will offset when the bar starts to pull up as you go.

Sounds confusing I know, but this is the technique I have used for years and it's the quickest for me. After a few tunings it starts to get close to e flat.

Once your are close enough lock the nut and fine tune it from the Foyd Rose.

(When you start this process make sure your fine tuners are set in the middle so you have plenty of + and - tuning once locked in)
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Honestly, the best thing to do is buy a second guitar.
    The second best thing to do is set up your fine tuners so they have enough play to go down a half step. That will still mess up your action and, technically your intonation.

Fender just came out with a Strat that has the Roland system in it. It has a click knob on it that will do, I think, five different tunings. That's pretty fun.

But still, if you can afford a hundred bucks or so, just buy an el-cheapo guitar without a floating system. Then you can tune it whichever way you want to learn the song, and when it comes time to play it with the band you can play it in standard tuning with your regular guitar.

Last Online

07.20.15 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

try the BOSS PS3 PITCH SHIFTER/DELAY PEDAL i use it and it works great
    the setting are
    balance= full
    pitch A= 0
    pitch B= about 11 oclock
    mode= 5

alot of different pitch shifters will do the job years ago i had a digitech whammy petal and that worked too, some guitars guys at your local guitar shop they might know of other new stuff out on the market.....

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions?

Cut a screw to the same length as the gap to the left of the trem block

Wedge it between body and block, make sure its centered.

This'll keep the trem zeroed as you tune down

Tune down a 1/2 step. Springs are now pulling on block harder than before

SLOWLY loosen springs until screw falls out

Its a variation on setting up a floater. With that your wedge it to the right o the block and loosen the springs. Do the set-up. When your done, tighten the springs till the screw falls out.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thats what i was trying to say. why spend money on pitch shifters and new guitars when you can do it with an allen wrench and a screw driver?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I'm with Bull, buy a second guitar. there are some good cheap ones out there if you are just going to use it to learn songs.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    I'm with Bull, buy a second guitar. there are some good cheap ones out there if you are just going to use it to learn songs.
    Yeah, a floating trem is just too much of a pain in the ass to try and tune down in any kind of quick fashion. Buy a second guitar, or install a Trem Stop (http://www.axcessories.com/) to turn the bridge into a down-only trem.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just keep buying guitars dude! It's a little more costly but you won't have to fuck with a thing. I have several guitars and they are all tuned differently, so i can just pick one up and go. Your to lazy to look for post's, and i'm to lazy to tune guitars down! ROCK ON.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    Just keep buying guitars dude! It's a little more costly but you won't have to fuck with a thing. I have several guitars and they are all tuned differently, so i can just pick one up and go. Your to lazy to look for post's, and i'm to lazy to tune guitars down! ROCK ON.
    lol

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    Tampa, I think you've got the best idea!!!!! I do have some other guitars lying around, but again I'm lazy..i may just go down to guitar center and pick up something on saturday...I don't have a les paul/gibson type of guitar...perhaps i'll pick a cheapo looking les paul on saturday!!!!

Since my main guitar (ibanez js 100) with the floating trem, I need something without a floyd rose...something I can get my slash chops out on!!
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Tampa, I think you've got the best idea!!!!! I do have some other guitars lying around, but again I'm lazy..i may just go down to guitar center and pick up something on saturday...I don't have a les paul/gibson type of guitar...perhaps i'll pick a cheapo looking les paul on saturday!!!!

Since my main guitar (ibanez js 100) with the floating trem, I need something without a floyd rose...something I can get my slash chops out on!!
    Check out the PRS SE series guitars before you buy a Gibson, dude.