Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default On Being A 9/11 Baby

Since I didn't see my birthday thread posted anywhere in this forum, I thought I'd take the time to ruminate on what it is like to have been born on September 11th.

I really never was much for birthdays. Yeah, as a kid it was fun to have parties, especially sleepovers in which my friends and I would stay up all night, in the middle of the living room floor huddled in sleeping bags, and discuss what we'd like to do when we grew up.

As an adult it was always a letdown to see just how well my friends and family didn't know me when I received exactly what I didn't want as gifts.

When I moved to California and all of my friends and family were 3000 miles away, birthdays became a series of checks and phone calls. And a slice of apple pie at the neighborhood Denny's -- virtually the only non-Korean restaurant in Koreatown, the section in which I lived.

Then, the catastrophe of 9/11 struck our collective consciousness. Being the benevolent person I am, I figured if it had to happen let it happen on my birthday so as not to ruin anyone elses.

But people started acting differently towards me. Upon presenting my driver's license as ID, I'd get pitying stares and comments like, "Oh wow, guess you'll never have a happy birthday again," or, "9/11, you'll have to celebrate on the tenth from now on." Now this really irked me. As I said, I was never one for birthdays but hey, what does this maniacal act of terrorism have to do with the day I was born?

So here we are again at September 11th. If I watched television I would probably have to see the replay of planes crashing into my beloved World Trade Center and hear reminiscences of those who lost their loved ones on that fateful day.

But instead, I've already received my midnight phone call from my best friend in New York and later I'll be out to dinner with my family, whom I've joined in Phoenix.

As you can probably tell, my birthday now puts me in a sad and philosophical mood. Trouble is, I just can't pinpoint exactly why.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Well I for one am going to wish you a very Happy Birthday! I hope you have a lovely meal with your family.

(psst.. hun, you're not on the birthday list at the bottom of the index page)

On this, more than on any other day, we should be counting our blessings, be thankful for the love in our lives and while we remember those that were lost, we do not forget that tyranny tried to crush the spirit of the American people and the free world that day. They failed!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Indeed, Yesterdays, a very happy birthday to you!

I suspect all of us who were around for 9/11/2001 will attach some kind of extreme significance to that date, and we'll never acknowledge it again without pausing, even just slightly. But lots of people own that date as their birthday--including babies actually born on September 11, 2001--and lots of people share their birthday with other catastrophic event dates. We will move on from it, but in the same way we still mark the bombing of Pearl Harbor (now a couple of generations ago) we will continue to mark the anniversary of 9/11. For all the politics since, the one thing we all have in common is that that date completely changed our world, in one way or another.

Enjoy your birthday, and don't feel quilt or shame for wanting to celebrate. And to those who think you can't do so, well they have no right to condemn what it otherwise, culturally, a day of celebration (birthday) for us.

I didn't start enjoying my birthdays until I was about 30. (Ironic, I know, because so many people have the crazy 30th birthday panic thing.) I used to think so hard about what I was actually doing with myself and how fast the time passes and question decisions I'd made. I can recall a couple years of my late 20s where I actually took a long nap from about 10PM to just after 12AM so the day would be over. I think being introspective is good, but don't ever come down too hard on yourself. That's what I've learned, at least.

So, again, happy b-day. It IS a good day for you!

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

happy birthday to you!
    i can relate a bit with you here. it is my wedding anniversay and they have never been the same. really put a damper on the celebration.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Happy Birthday Yesterdays.

I think it's a bit of a strange day for everybody, made a little more so for you.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Have a happy birthdate

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Happy birthday!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Happy Birthday

My wife's birthday is on 9/11, as well. She's gone through some of the comments that you mentioned.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.15.11 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Happy Birthday Yesterdays! Hope you have a wonderful birthday dinner tonight with your family.

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I didn't start enjoying my birthdays until I was about 30. (Ironic, I know, because so many people have the crazy 30th birthday panic thing.) I used to think so hard about what I was actually doing with myself and how fast the time passes and question decisions I'd made. I can recall a couple years of my late 20s where I actually took a long nap from about 10PM to just after 12AM so the day would be over. I think being introspective is good, but don't ever come down too hard on yourself. That's what I've learned, at least.
    Well this cheered me up loads. I really thought I was the only one that really is finding birthdays in my 20s an opportunity to become a manic depressive and think about what the hell is happening in my life.

Then I see the medias view of 20 something birthdays (in TV programmes etc) and its all partying and having a GREAT time and I feel worse....

Anyway thanks for showing me that I am not the only one (just had my 26th birthday a month ago, spent the day in bed lol)
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Happy birthday...

As a July 4th baby myself, I can "feel your pain" as our last legally elected President would say.

It's hard to celebrate the birthday of a nation which hasn't acted much like itself for the last 7 years.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Baluchitherium Leo Van Newhouse's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.14.13 @ 03:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Happy Birthday dude
    THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT : Representing DAVID LEE ROTH in all his glory!!!!!!!!!

JH: "How was your New Years Eve show at the House Of Blues?"
    DLR: "James...I AM New Years Eve!"

"To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding?" David Lee Roth

"I'm gonna want to rock out w/ my cock out instead of playing anal taper dork." Colonel Sanders

ANOTHER HOSTILE TAKEOVER COMING YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

"9/11" could've happened any day, dates are a human construction and bear no real meaning except for to tell us when the seasons change and when to go bed. It's really stupid that anybody would ever attach a terrorist attack to your birthday.

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Happy birthday...

As a July 4th baby myself, I can "feel your pain" as our last legally elected President would say.

It's hard to celebrate the birthday of a nation which hasn't acted much like itself for the last 7 years.
    The last "Legally" elected President is the current one. Who are you referring to?
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by speedtruckermf View Post
    The last "Legally" elected President is the current one. Who are you referring to?
    The last two elections (2000 and 2004) were outright stolen.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14