Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dave's voice is the biggest worry to me

I recently read an article on vhnd.com about all the possible things that could go wrong or right with the tour. To me, it seems that the biggest reason that is being focused on is the whole "Wolf replacing Mike" issue, which rightly so, is a concern.
    However, I'm not too concerned with that. I don't feel Ed would throw his son out on the road with this much attention if he weren't at least average enough to hold his own. He may not be the greatest bass player ever, or even anywhere close to Mike, but if he's even decent, I think he'll be fine and you'll never notice him. By the way, he REALLY looks like his Mother (not in a bad way, just the face).
    I'm also sure Dave and Eddie will have a fight or 2 on the road, and that certainly is a major concern. I also don't think they would have gotten far enough to plan and rehearse a tour if they hadn't mended at least enough bridges to finish it. Now whether they make it long enough to produce an album.....that's another story. And correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think VH in ANY form has interrupted a tour due to fighting. They finished them all, right? Even in 2004, they managed to stagger across the finish line before trying to kill each other. I may be wrong on this.
    To me, as a person who truly is concerned that the tour goes off well, I worry the most about Dave's voice. I remember buying Dave's solo album a few years back ('99 I think?) and thinking to myself, "These are good songs, but Dave is just trying too hard to reach high notes". At times he sounded like me trying to take a dump after a night of chili and Pabst Blue Ribbon. The best songs were when he sang in lower tones and didn't try the "squeal" that he actually COULD do back in 1984 (I didn't like it then either, but it's his thing I guess). I just worry that he's going to either 1. Try to hit notes that he can't anymore and sound like shit doing it, or 2. Pull a Vince Neil and sing every 5th word because he's too busy running around stage or he can't remember the words.
    I know there are a lot of people who dislike the whole tour idea because Mike isn't there, and I totally respect that. Mike is awesome. Myself, I'm in the category of people who dig VH mainly because of Ed's guitar sound and riffs. I think he has 10-20 songs on previous albums that would have been top 10 hits if the lyrics weren't retarded (Up for Breakfast??????) or the singing wasn't shitty. Sometimes I wish he'd do the Santana thing and just get some different singers for 1-2 songs at a time. Now I see I'm ranting away from the original topic, but I really hope Dave's voice is relatively OK, or at least he sings within the reality of what his voice has left and doesn't take a PBR shit onstage.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning,F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.28.07 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed is the FACTOR of to tour to worry about. If he is back on his game, it dosen't matter what the guy in the middle is doing or not doing, if Ed is the same guy as 2004?

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

The Diamond One was never known for singing live. He more or less said the words and kept up with the songs. His screams and showmanship more than made up for the lack of singing.

I agree tho, I think the biggest risk is the delicate genius that is Edward.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

I listened to VH concerts from the early 80s and Roth sounded terrible then too. What he lacks in smooth tone and pitch, he more than makes up for it in performance. He sounded great in 2006 minus the hi-pitched scream that he can no longer do. If he keeps the yelp to a minimum he'll be fine.

Eddie on the other hand in 2006 could barely play as well as a 12 year old kid in Sam Ash doing Stairway to Heaven. He's my biggest concern. His motor skills were really questionable, but hopefully a clean Eddie will be sharp and focused.

I'm optimistic that it will be loud and powerful enough of a set to make up for whatever they may lost with age.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:49 AM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

My biggest issue with Dave's singing right now is that he sings certain vowels differently. He didn't do this during the early 80's.

Some examples:

Before: Everybody Wants Some, I want some too
    Now: Everybody Wants Some, I want some tahoo.

Before: Oh cant you see what I mean.
    Now: Oh can't you see what I Ma-heeen.

Before: All I've got, I had to steal
    Now: All I've got, I had to sta-heel
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

It could be his style evolving to fit his 50+ year old throat... but you are right, there is a difference. Just not the lynch pin in this thing.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Fan4Life View Post
    Ed is the FACTOR of to tour to worry about. If he is back on his game, it dosen't matter what the guy in the middle is doing or not doing, if Ed is the same guy as 2004?
    Yup. The show would survive a mediocre performace from Al, Wolf, or Dave but not Ed. If Ed sucks, so will the show.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Dave sounds older, but he can still sing the songs well. The vowel changing is something he must do since his range is lower now. Name a rock singer that sounds the same 25 years later? You can't. I'm actually expecting him to sound better than he has in years.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.27.12 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed, not Dave, is my biggest concern. This is starting to drive me nuts...HAVE THERE BEEN ANY REPORTS ON HOW ED SOUNDED AT THE REHEARSAL???

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Voices age. Watching Sting at that Al Gore/Earthday whatever concert two months ago showed me that singers stop being able to hit the high notes along the way and have to adjust the melody.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    My biggest issue with Dave's singing right now is that he sings certain vowels differently.
    Do you really think Dave will sing "Right Now"?!!

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HanValen View Post
    Do you really think Dave will sing "Right Now"?!!
    Dave will sing, and have no problem singing, Dreams.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 of them!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave will be the least of anyone's worries.

I'm sure he's ready in every aspect -- vocally and physically.

The people I may worry a little about are Ed and Wolfie (and for different reasons).
    EUAS

www.rotharmy.com

*VV*
    ole No.1
    The finest.

"The Showstoppa!!"

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOaverageJOE View Post
    Name a rock singer that sounds the same 25 years later? .
    Thats too easy. Ronnie James Dio check out the new Heaven and Hell dvd live from Radio City Music Hall. Kicks major ass

Anyways, maybe its just me, but I think Dave performs the tunes vocally better now than in 84.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess you all make a point, I guess I ought to be worried about Ed seeing as he's the main reason I would see them anyway. I never got a chance to see Dave with VH live. I just assumed that the few live videos I had seen of him with VH sucked because he happened to be drunk and shitty THAT night. I just remembered that the other 3/4 of the band was truly awesome, and then there was Dave be-bopping around, talking the lyrics instead of singing them, and whacking off a Jack Daniels bottle. Everybody seemed to love it, but I never "got it". Maybe you had to be there and maybe it had a little to do with being in the 70's and 80's. I figured that he would get it straight for most of the tour and sound a little like the album cuts, but I guess I was wrong.
    On a different note, you always hear Ed talk about how he was mostly drunk back in the 70's and 80's and that was when he played his best, yet when he's drunk in 2004 he couldn't play his way out of a paper bag. Anyway, I hope it all works out, I'm pulling for them. To me, the most uplifting part of the press conference was that Dave called it a new band. All I want is a new album. The tour is icing on the cake.