Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Fort Lauderdale mulls anti-cottaging toilet...

A $250,000-plus high-tech toilet being considered for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., beaches raised even more eyebrows when the city's mayor suggested its timing feature would stop bathrooms from being used for gay sex.

"We're trying to provide a family environment where people can take their children who need to use the bathroom without having to worry about a couple of men in there engaged in a sex act," Mayor Jim Naugle told the Sun-Sentinel newspaper.

Public restrooms, Naugle told the paper, reiterating statements he has made in public meetings on the subject, are rendezvous points for "homosexuals . . . engaging in sex, anonymous sex, illegal sex."

The new toilets, similar to models already in use in New York, Atlanta, Seattle and the San Francisco Bay Area, would have doors that open automatically after a set interval. They also clean the seat automatically, meter toilet paper and play music. The New York and Bay Area toilets are modeled after vintage vespasiennes in France.

It seems a six-figure toilet is expected not only to accommodate its stated function but to solve a social problem: Officials in San Francisco, which got its first high-tech toilets from French maker JCDecaux in 1995, claimed they were clean, nongendered and would help solve vagrancy by preventing homeless people from taking up residence inside.

Fort Lauderdale plans to install its first one next to the city parking lot (Naugle calls it "the rainbow parking lot") at Sebastian Street and State A1A, television station CBS4 reported. The beach there is popular with gays.

Fort Lauderdale city commissioners voted June 5 to spend about $25,000 on drawings for a prototype. Actual purchase would have to come back to a commission vote, city spokeswoman Shannon Vezina told Gay.com.

Local gay leaders agree the area needs more public toilets but can live without the mayor's rhetoric.

"Thank God this is his last term," Pride official Marc Hansen told the paper.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

That story is two months old. Needless to say, the insightful, gay-bashing Mayor Jim Naugle has not only infuriated the Broward Board of Tourism, yet groups are now officially boycotting Fort Lauderdale as a result. Millions of dollars in tax-free monies are at stake here.

Naugle is a knuckle-dragging neanderthal. His fear of homosexuality immediately leads one to question it's source. I dunno...how come it is that all these folk that rage against something are usually caught...err...doing it, in embarrassing situations?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Naugle is a knuckle-dragging neanderthal. His fear of homosexuality immediately leads one to question it's source. I dunno...how come it is that all these folk that rage against something are usually caught...err...doing it, in embarrassing situations?
    hmmm.. like this guy?

Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

That story is two months old. Needless to say, the insightful, gay-bashing Mayor Jim Naugle has not only infuriated the Broward Board of Tourism, yet groups are now officially boycotting Fort Lauderdale as a result. Millions of dollars in tax-free monies are at stake here.

We could fill an entire forum with Naugle's crap.

How about his quote a couple years back? There was(and still is to an extent)a crisis of no affordable housing in Ft. Lauderdale. People like teachers, firemen, and policemen couldn't afford to buy houses because the values had shot up dramatically. Naugle's response? He called people who couldn't afford to purchase homes "lazy" and said they should be putting in more overtime or working two jobs if that's what it took to buy a house. He saw no problem with the home prices.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    We could fill an entire forum with Naugle's crap.

How about his quote a couple years back? There was(and still is to an extent)a crisis of no affordable housing in Ft. Lauderdale. People like teachers, firemen, and policemen couldn't afford to buy houses because the values had shot up dramatically. Naugle's response? He called people who couldn't afford to purchase homes "lazy" and said they should be putting in more overtime or working two jobs if that's what it took to buy a house. He saw no problem with the home prices.
    Seems to be consistent with current corporatist Republican policies.....

"You work three jobs? … Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." —George W. Bush, to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005

Yeah, it's "uniquely American" alright.... at least for the last 25 years or so
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just commenting on the overall policies of the Republican party. Only picked Monkey Boy as an example because the quote fit. And because I'm burned out on the Larry Craig jokes.
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Just commenting on the overall policies of the Republican party. Only picked Monkey Boy as an example because the quote fit. And because I'm burned out on the Larry Craig jokes.
    The point (as well as the thread) is about Mayor Jim Naugle. Menlow and I are very familiar with his tactics and "Anita Bryant-like" actions.

Yet feel free to step in and fuck up yet another thread. It would appear that Bush isn't the only simpleton with an agenda.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would ask how a homophobic moron like that got elected in Florida in the first place, but since it is Florida we're talking about, we already know that answer....

Or is Fort Lauderdale not as gay as other places in the state? (I'm assuming nothing is "gayer" than Key West)
    Eat Us And Smile

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

Donor

I would ask how a homophobic moron like that got elected in Florida in the first place, but since it is Florida we're talking about, we already know that answer....

Or is Fort Lauderdale not as gay as other places in the state? (I'm assuming nothing is "gayer" than Key West)
    He can't be re-elected because of term limits, so he's been running his mouth off a lot lately. When he had elections to win, he kept his mouth shut.

Last Online

Not at all. The City of "Wilton Manors" (immediately to the north of Ft. Lauderdale) is the "gayest" area in the region, and quite proud of the fact. In a period of less than 15 years, a handful of determined folk have taken a run down, impoverished and blighted old township and done wonders. Revamping decaying houses and buildings, they've managed to completely renovate the area, increasing property values up to 85% and more in some cases.

It is a thriving community, as well as a testament to what some hard work and positive attitude can accomplish. The City of Fort Lauderdale, particularly it's Mayor, could learn from the example put forth by these folk. Instead, he chooses to bash them, while those that work in his own township can not afford to live there.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

Donor

Not at all. The City of "Wilton Manors" (immediately to the north of Ft. Lauderdale) is the "gayest" area in the region, and quite proud of the fact. In a period of less than 15 years, a handful of determined folk have taken a run down, impoverished and blighted old township and done wonders. Revamping decaying houses and buildings, they've managed to completely renovate the area, increasing property values up to 85% and more in some cases.

It is a thriving community, as well as a testament to what some hard work and positive attitude can accomplish. The City of Fort Lauderdale, particularly it's Mayor, could learn from the example put forth by these folk. Instead, he chooses to bash them, while those that work in his own township can not afford to live there.
    As a matter of fact, Chuck Panozzo, former bassist for Styx and openly gay, now lives in Wilton Manors.

It's become a very nice area.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    As a matter of fact, Chuck Panozzo, former bassist for Styx and openly gay, now lives in Wilton Manors.

It's become a very nice area.
    How's Chuck's health these days? I heard he wasn't up to touring, which is why he isn't part of Nu-Styx.

I always found it ironic that in a group that featured both a flamboyant show tunes loving keyboard player and a girlie-man guitarist, that the ordinary looking bass player turned out to be the gay one.

So much for stereotypes.
    Eat Us And Smile

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

Donor

How's Chuck's health these days? I heard he wasn't up to touring, which is why he isn't part of Nu-Styx.

I always found it ironic that in a group that featured both a flamboyant show tunes loving keyboard player and a girlie-man guitarist, that the ordinary looking bass player turned out to be the gay one.

So much for stereotypes.
    Chuck seems to be doing all right. He wrote an autobiography last year and did some local press to promote it. I guess he still plays with Styx occassionally when he's up to it.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

The point (as well as the thread) is about Mayor Jim Naugle. Menlow and I are very familiar with his tactics and "Anita Bryant-like" actions.

Yet feel free to step in and fuck up yet another thread. It would appear that Bush isn't the only simpleton with an agenda.

Toilets and the mayor of Ft. Lauderdale, why of course Bush belongs in this thread!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]