Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default why am I not excited like I should be ?

OK,

I've given this VH back with Dave thing enough time to brew hoping that it would boil up and I would burst into excitement but it just hasn't happend, I'm as big a fan of VH as anyone , 6'2" 250lbs (yea I know but I had to) but it just hasn't hit me like it should, I really think the reason I made it thru skool is because of these guys, I regained interest in the guitar because of their music, I should be jumping for joy but I'm just not, when they got back together they got a double eyebrow raise out of me and that's it.
    I just can't pinpoint the problem maybe it's because Mike ain't there, maybe it's because although the old songs as cool as hell I'd rather hear new music with a new CD, maybe it's my age (42) , maybe just too much shit has happened and too much time has passed and I just don't care like a used to
    I dunno what it is but it has me thinking about it.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you think we will hear one word from them again prior to Charlotte? Shouldn't they be all over the place? Wouldn't one new Van Wolfie tune released for itunes have been a good idea?

I get the feeling of being used. They come out and say they are going to tour and we will see you when you pay us. I was hoping that if they had to bring in the kid at least he would have some ideas on promoting the band.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

Here's why... I'm not quite as big a fan as you (I'm only 5'11" and 210lbs.), but I think it's because we are all older and hopefully wiser and see the bullshit.

It's not a bunch of kids in their 20's from California having fun anymore. It's just 3 guys in their 50's who need each other to make some more money before they retire forever...

Ed is going to suck it up and tour with Dave, because he has a whole line of guitar shit to sell... Getting up on stage and going though 20+ year old songs for a few hours is alot easier than writing/recording a new album with a guy you hate. Plus you don't see all that new gear with pretty stripes on a CD.

I know it's all bullshit. I knew it in 2004, and didn't buy into it then either. I remember everyone all excited, talking about "do you think they'll do the 5150 walk?" (gay beyond belief), forcing themselves to believe the whole "We're Back!!" thing... Telling themselves the 3 new songs didn't suck...

It was about money then, it's about money now... No big deal...

If they come around my town, I'll go see them...If not, so be it.

I don't care what Eddie's selling, because I ain't buying. I love my Wolfgang, but I don't need amps/guitars/pedals/etc. with stripes on them.
    Last edited by EJC; 09.07.07 at 08:43 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

It's hard to sustain enthusiasm when there's nothing tangible to attach it to...

The timeline of events got some some things worked up... announcement of the tour, press conference and then... unless you are in an area with any media promotion for the tour everything else went silent.

A nationally broadcast sneek peek would fire things up if it turns out positive. Some interviews could stir it up as well.

One has to wonder if the Michael Anthony situation will generate a response...

Until we hear something musical and it fires up the masses... it's all kinda anticlimatic or at least the calm before the storm is getting boring as hell...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Last Online

06.15.13 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Because you read these forums. They'll ruin it for you.
    I like my coffee like I like my women, filled with booze.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.20.17 @ 07:52 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

....because until this "reunited" or "reinvented" band commits to the future via writing and recording new material, this whole thing is going to continue to look like a money-grab.

To look like a viable band again, these guys are really going to need to sucessfully generate some new material and then tour behind it.

Peace,
    Ron

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not doing back-flips. Some of it is because I'm older. I'm still getting my tickets tomorrow for the Indy show. What excitement I have is that I'll be bringing my teenage daughter with me as she's developed an interest. I hope for an entertaining show.

My desire to see them is akin to wanting to say good-bye to an old friend, have my kids get to meet them because they were important to me, but with the understanding that they and I are no longer the same as we were when the relationship was strong.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forward progression is the only option with music when considering it's art. Bands exist either to create music or to relive music.....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with the sentiments here. After the show in STL in 2004, I became disenchanted with VH - especially Ed. After years of defending everything he did, I couldn't do it anymore.

I'm a guitar player who grew up on that guy - idolized him in every way and thought he was the epitome of cool. Like ROLS said - maybe it's my age 40 - maybe I'm getting old and too principled. But bullshit is bullshit. I have an MP3player with a whole folder full of guitar music from various artists. I find myself skipping VH songs now.

I'm building my office/studio which will have an amp/guitar wall. My old office had all my Ed pictures in a prominant place by design. I'll probably hang them again - but they won't be a point of attention - more to the side. My Lynch stuff will take it's place. Never thought I'd do that.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Here's why... I'm not quite as big a fan as you (I'm only 5'11" and 210lbs.), but I think it's because we are all older and hopefully wiser and see the bullshit.

It's not a bunch of kids in their 20's from California having fun anymore. It's just 3 guys in their 50's who need each other to make some more money before they retire forever...

Ed is going to suck it up and tour with Dave, because he has a whole line of guitar shit to sell... Getting up on stage and going though 20+ year old songs for a few hours is alot easier than writing/recording a new album with a guy you hate. Plus you don't see all that new gear with pretty stripes on a CD.

I know it's all bullshit. I knew it in 2004, and didn't buy into it then either. I remember everyone all excited, talking about "do you think they'll do the 5150 walk?" (gay beyond belief), forcing themselves to believe the whole "We're Back!!" thing... Telling themselves the 3 new songs didn't suck...

It was about money then, it's about money now... No big deal...

If they come around my town, I'll go see them...If not, so be it.

I don't care what Eddie's selling, because I ain't buying. I love my Wolfgang, but I don't need amps/guitars/pedals/etc. with stripes on them.
    This post makes too much sense and should be deleted due to its overabundance of logic.

Damn you, EJC. Stop scratching people's "Eddie + Dave" goggles. They're expensive.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

My favorite part of the news conference was when Alex actually turned his head sideways, covered his mouth, and yawned while Dave was going on and on about pick-up trucks at the Burger King drive-through or whatever...

My 2nd favorite part was when Eddie called Dave "his new brother"...

These guys should forget about music, and just go out and do a stand-up comedy tour... THAT, I would pay top-dollar for...

Ed can break out the $25,000 guitar and give us the '07 NAMM rendition of "Lick the guitar cord, and stick it in my ass"...

Dave can give us the used-car salesman schtick for 20-30 minutes...

And Al can just stand there like the fucking vampire he is and yawn...
    Last edited by EJC; 09.07.07 at 09:23 AM.

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:15 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Default Got that right

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Forward progression is the only option with music when considering it's art. Bands exist either to create music or to relive music.....
    Couldn't be more succinct than that. Bravo.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I wasn't excited and was very mad when they announced they were going out without Mike.

It took friends of mine who have pretty much laughed at me for years for posting on message boards to call me and tell me how THEY were pumped up to see the show to get me interested. Guys I see maybe once every 2-3 years. So their excitement of wanting to come up here from Nashville to see them got me excited. So my excitement isn't for Van Halen per say as it is for my friends.

I haven't seen any form of a group calling themselves "Van Halen" play in over 14 years. I'm amazed it took people this long to get sick of the band. All the guys I use to run with/play music with were sick of Van Halen 15 years ago.

but I'm not kidding myself---if they make an album after all this I will be really amazed. At the most I would expect out of any of this is they MAY release some old video from days gone past but I doubt that as well.
    Last edited by hain23x; 09.07.07 at 09:32 AM.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

5'9 130lbs, so I've never been a big fan.

Remember that the people here on the links are ahead of the curve. It's still 20 days until opening night. Promotion is expensive, and the VH machine may be saving their money until things really get rolling.
    On the cynical side, they may also be saving their money to make sure that the band hasn't self destructed before the 27th.
    If the first few shows look good, then they may start booking Entertainment Tonight and the Tonight Show and all that stuff. And it's very easy to add more dates to the tour once it's going well.

If the tour is a month old, and all the promotion is rolling, and you're still not interested, that's that. By then, they will have done all they can do and you will have done all you can do. Don't sweat it. People change.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Hain. I have friends who know how I feel but want to go see Dave, they weren't as lucky as I was to catch CVH in their prime. Their parents wouldn't let them go. So they keep hounding me to go, "We'll hang out, it'll be cool, so what if it's not really what we want to see, it's still cool music." They have a point. However I don't want to go at all, so I keep saying "no," but if it's a chance to goof around with my friends for a night like it was high school, it's getting harder to say "no" simply because of them.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!