Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Atlanta To Impose Fines, Jail Time Upon Shitheads Failing To Pull Their Pants Up...

Cracking down: ( Ouch, that was bad...) Hackles rise as jeans droop
    In some cities, officials are cracking down on saggy pants with fines and even jail time

By Dahleen Glanton | Chicago Tribune

Adrian Bustamante hasn't given much thought to a city proposal to ban baggy pants. Regardless of whether officials decide to impose a fine for anyone caught with their pants hanging below their rear end, he has no plans to change his wardrobe, which largely consists of oversize T-shirts, body jewelry and saggy pants with the crotch dangling at his knees.

"It would be a stupid law," said Bustamante, a 21-year-old construction worker from suburban Norcross, Ga. "Young people like to be different than old people. Our clothes are an expression of who we are."

For generations, teenagers have defied adults with their clothing. From zoot suits in the 1930s to hot pants in the '60s, hip-hugger jeans in the '70s and the latest trend of low-hanging pants--a style inspired by prison inmates--teenage fashion has drawn the angst of adults who either just don't get it or simply don't like it.

Since the hip-hop music community adopted the "gangsta" style in the 1990s, it has quickly gained favor among young African-Americans, and, to a lesser extent, Hispanics such as Bustamante, Asians and whites.

But these days, adults are not just standing by shaking their heads. They are enacting laws to dictate what kids should wear, at least in public.

Last week, Atlanta became one of the largest cities to join a growing movement in the U.S. to consider fining or jailing people for saggy pants. The Atlanta City Council is holding hearings on a proposal by Councilman C.T. Martin to impose a civil penalty such as a fine for "the indecent exposure of his or her undergarments" in public.

That means young men no longer could wear their pants hanging off their hips, exposing their underwear. The law also could target women in pants cut low enough to reveal the strap of a thong, a style popularized in music videos.

$500 fine or 6 months in jail While previous efforts to ban such styles in Virginia and Colorado have failed, a new crop of cities, including several in Louisiana, have either enacted laws or are considering them. Delcambre, La., a small town about 80 miles southwest of Baton Rouge, recently passed a ban with fines of up to $500 or 6 months in jail. Shreveport and Alexandria have passed similar ordinances.

Delcambre Mayor Carol Broussard said the ordinance passed in June received overwhelming support from residents. So far, there have been no violators, Broussard said.

"It was getting to the point of why the hell wear pants? Forget about the pants and leave them at home," Broussard said. "I hope this is the right thing. If it's guidance these guys and girls need, hopefully we are helping them out by saying, 'We don't want to see your underwear, so pull your pants up.' "

Chicago has no ordinance regarding hip-hop clothing, but some public schools in the area have addressed the issue through dress codes. Unlike Chicago Public Schools, which leaves dress codes up to individual principals, Indianapolis Public Schools instituted a new policy this year banning jeans, saggy pants and shirts that reveal midriffs. Students must wear solid-colored pants, belts and shirts with collars.

Illinois school districts set their own dress codes, and they vary greatly. For instance, Mundelein High School District 120 lists specific clothing and accessories that are prohibited, including saggy pants and visible undergarments. But Glenbrook High School District 225, with schools in Glenview and Northbrook, leaves its dress code broad, stating, "Clothing worn during the school day must provide reasonable coverage."

Hip-hop capital of the South In Atlanta, the proposal to ban saggy pants was unexpected. Atlanta is known as the "hip-hop capital of the South," a title that city officials, including Mayor Shirley Franklin, have embraced. Home to such stars of hip-hop as Ludacris, T.I. and the duo OutKast, Atlanta has courted the hip-hop community and has prospered from a thriving music industry that has poured more than $1 billion into the state's economy and created more than 9,000 jobs.

In the mid-1990s, as "gangsta" rap became an integral part of hip-hop, young people began incorporating the fashion of prison inmates--saggy pants worn without a belt, long natural braids and tattoos--into their wardrobes. Rappers such as Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur promoted the style in videos and on CD covers.

While rap music has become a fixture in popular culture, some opponents fear that the side effects, including the clothing styles, have contributed to problems--such as unemployment, dropouts and crime--facing African-American youths, particularly males. Scantily clad women, they said, are degraded in music videos and lyrics. Young men who choose baggy pants and T-shirts over more traditional attire are often seen as thugs, critics said.

While there have been no court cases to test laws banning hip-hop clothing, the ordinances are a violation of the 1st Amendment, according to Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

"On the very face of it, it's unconstitutional," said Seagraves. "It has chosen one form of dress and singled it out to criminalize it. This is clearly a violation of freedom of expression."

This issue is not just about baggy pants, Seagraves said. It began as a political statement about the criminalization of young black men in the prison system, she said.

"There is something inherently wrong with saying we disapprove of how that looks or we personally find it disgusting," said Seagraves. "Wouldn't it be great if this sparks a conversation about the systemic, racist reasons behind the high number of young black men in prison? ... We are talking about creating one more ordinance, one more law that can be used to put more and more young black people into a system that is already eating them up."

Mayor Franklin has not taken a public position on the issue, though it has become a topic of hot debate. Martin said he has received phone calls from around the world, and such a discussion is exactly what he had hoped for.

'What the drug boys wear' Martin, a 70-year-old councilman and longtime African-American activist, said he was fed up with people failing to take action to remedy problems plaguing black youths. He said he has never intended for anyone to go to jail over the issue. What he really wanted was to bring about a long overdue dialogue between young people and adults over issues such as crime, education and even childhood obesity.

"My legislation is designed to help young people, to enlighten them and help them understand," said Martin. "I don't think a lot of these young people realize that [baggy pants] is a message coming out of prison. Long T-shirts is what the drug boys wear.

"When the police pull you over, you can't say they are profiling you. You've already profiled yourself," he said.

But to many young people, such a law is simply another indication that adults just don't understand them.

Bustamante, showing off his red plaid boxer shorts beneath his baggy denim shorts, said he thinks it is wrong to judge anyone by his pants.

"People don't need to care about how you're dressed," he said. "They should care about what's in your head." (which it would seem, is nothing )

Copyright 2007, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/cus...,2497633.story
    Last edited by chefcraig; 09.06.07 at 09:06 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just say no to crack.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Now the guys with baggy pants I can deal with, but...

"The law also could target women in pants cut low enough to reveal the strap of a thong"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
    "The law also could target women in pants cut low enough to reveal the strap of a thong"
    If the woman takes good care of her body, OH HELL NO.

If the woman should not be wearing a thong, then by all means OH HELL YES.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    If the woman takes good care of her body, OH HELL NO.

If the woman should not be wearing a thong, then by all means OH HELL YES.
    Amen brutha, especially if there is a gunt involved...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gotta agree for the square. It's completely retarded for grown men to walk around with their asses hanging out in Daffy Duck underwear. Not to mention
    a tad bit ghey.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    While there have been no court cases to test laws banning hip-hop clothing, the ordinances are a violation of the 1st Amendment, according to Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

"On the very face of it, it's unconstitutional," said Seagraves. "It has chosen one form of dress and singled it out to criminalize it. This is clearly a violation of freedom of expression."

This issue is not just about baggy pants, Seagraves said. It began as a political statement about the criminalization of young black men in the prison system, she said.

"There is something inherently wrong with saying we disapprove of how that looks or we personally find it disgusting," said Seagraves. "Wouldn't it be great if this sparks a conversation about the systemic, racist reasons behind the high number of young black men in prison? ... We are talking about creating one more ordinance, one more law that can be used to put more and more young black people into a system that is already eating them up."

'What the drug boys wear' Martin, a 70-year-old councilman and longtime African-American activist, said he was fed up with people failing to take action to remedy problems plaguing black youths. He said he has never intended for anyone to go to jail over the issue. What he really wanted was to bring about a long overdue dialogue between young people and adults over issues such as crime, education and even childhood obesity.

"My legislation is designed to help young people, to enlighten them and help them understand," said Martin. "I don't think a lot of these young people realize that [baggy pants] is a message coming out of prison. Long T-shirts is what the drug boys wear.

"People don't need to care about how you're dressed," he said. "They should care about what's in your head." (which it would seem, is nothing )

Some of the comments above leave me scratching my head and wondering what people are thinking. This Seagraves is commenting how the system is "eating them up" yet these are the very people they want to pay homage too by copying their manner of dress? Then you have this CT Martin fellow who is an African American himself trying to shed some light on the matter to make people realize that whether you like it or not, we are ALL judged by our appearance and 1st impression are important. Contrary to the knucklehead's comment at the end, no one will care to hear what is going on inside of your head if you look like a thug/drug dealer.

It's always about pushing the limits and I understand that but at what point do you stop? Is it when someone is walking around with their ass hanging out without the underwear?

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Great.

Now we are going to legislate fashion.

What a great time to live in this country.

Nobody hates the hip-hop shit more than me, especially when wiggers cop it.

However, we don't need LAWS banning or restricting clothing.

Land of the free my ass!
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I'm a black man and I wear a fucking belt. Pull up your pants, asshole! Lock 'N Load!

"It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Yeah, that's an easy one!
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like it or not, if nothing is exposed, there is no crime. Hate the guys pants thing...love the cuties in thongs...

What about fat men with big old saggy man boobs at the beach? That offends me...

Whatever...focus on important things. If someone doesn't like how you dress, that's their perogative. If you want a job, you'll clean it up...if you want to make a statement, and you are not exposing yourself, more power to you, as stupid as you may look...

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Gotta say I love the idea but it could back fire. What will the next law be, no more short skirts, no belly shirts(on hot chicks of coarse) or better yet no more concert shirts unless you are attending a concert. I know it sounds ridiculous but once you set a precident who is to say when it will stop. It is the land of the free even for the shitheads that wear their clothes like that. One good thing about the low pants though is it makes it harder for them to run from the cops.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

OK, Im one of the most conservative white guys I know, and this is ridiculous!
    And what if it backfired, and it became another big "thug" thing to have a baggy-pants bust on your record?
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm always skeptical about legislating behavior.

My 20 year son went through a "sagging" phase a couple of years ago. I would occassionally pull his pants down in public to convey my disdain. One time, I pulled his pants AND his boxers down while we were at the mall doing some Christmas shopping. That was mildly entertaining. The thing that cured his "sagging" was getting a job.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

You know, I don't think it looks good when people wear their pants too high either. So I want a law that says if your pants are above your belly button, you go to jail.

Listen up people: The belly button to the top of your ass crack is your cushion zone. Go above or below, and you're a felon. Got it? Good. In related news, all collars should be worn down. Anyone popping their collar gets the death penalty.

Ridiculous...

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Baggy pants crackdown goes national Story Highlights
    Baggy-pants wearing goes full circle -- from prison to jail

TRENTON, New Jersey (AP) -- It's a fashion that started in prison, and now the saggy pants craze has come full circle -- low-slung street strutting in some cities may soon mean run-ins with the law, including a stint in jail.

Proposals to ban saggy pants are starting to ride up in several places. At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine.

A crackdown also is being pushed in Atlanta, Georgia. And in Trenton, New Jersey, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but a city worker assessing where your life is headed.

"Are they employed? Do they have a high school diploma? It's a wonderful way to redirect at that point," said Trenton Councilwoman Annette Lartigue, who is drafting a law to outlaw saggy pants. "The message is clear: We don't want to see your backside."

The bare-your-britches fashion is believed to have started in prisons, where inmates aren't given belts with their baggy uniform pants to prevent hangings and beatings. By the late 80s, the trend had made it to gangster rap videos, then went on to skateboarders in the suburbs and high school hallways.

"For young people, it's a form of rebellion and identity," Adrian "Easy A.D." Harris, 43, a founding member of the Bronx's legendary rap group Cold Crush Brothers. "The young people think it's fashionable. They don't think it's negative."

But for those who want to stop them see it as an indecent, sloppy trend that is a bad influence on children.

"It has the potential to catch on with elementary school kids, and we want to stop it before it gets there," said C.T. Martin, an Atlanta councilman. "Teachers have raised questions about what a distraction it is."

In Atlanta, a law has been introduced to ban sagging and punishment could include small fines or community work -- but no jail time, Martin said.

The penalty is stiffer in Delcambre, Louisiana, where in June the town council passed an ordinance that carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public. Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.

At Trenton hip-hop clothing store Razor Sharp Clothing Shop 4 Ballers, shopper Mark Wise, 30, said his jeans sag for practical reasons.

"The reason I don't wear tight pants is because it's easier to get money out of my pocket this way," Wise said. "It's just more comfortable."

Shop owner Mack Murray said Trenton's proposed ordinance unfairly targets blacks.

"Are they going to go after construction workers and plumbers, because their pants sag, too?" Murray asked. "They're stereotyping us."

The American Civil Liberties Union agrees.

"In Atlanta, we see this as racial profiling," said Benetta Standly, statewide organizer for the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia. "It's going to target African-American male youths. There's a fear with people associating the way you dress with crimes being committed."
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.