Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What if it had been Billy Sheehan (or someone like him)?

...instead of Wolfgang? Would that have been more acceptable in the eyes of die hard VH fans, eliminating at least the nepotism angle? Nothing short of including Mike makes it a CVH reunion tour, but in light of the band being branded as a "new" band, someone like a Sheehan, who, by several accounts, had been considered for the band as far back as the early 80s, might have been more accepted by the fans, at least on a musical level. Then again, you're still missing the backing vox, etc.

As an aside, do you think that EVH, if Wolf wasn't in the mix, would even consider Sheehan since he had played with Dave's solo band, and might view him as a Dave ally that he wouldn't have in his corner? If so, who do you think EVH would consider?

Forgive me if this has been discussed in other threads, but I don't recall this topic being specifically focused on...

Not knockin' Wolf...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I mentioned in another thread that for me this has always been about the abscence of Mike and not the addition of Wolfgang. I have nothing against Wolfgang in any way, shape or form. So I guess what I am saying is it doesn't matter who they put in there, it wouldn't make a difference to me. I want Mike!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Mikey's absence is 'the bottom line' (no Roth-pun intended). Without him there it takes on a different chemistry.
    In regards to Sheehan or someone like him, well at least there's some professional experience there. I'm sure Wolfie is very talented and all that, but this is a huge undertaking for a 16-year old kid, I don't care who your father is. The first few shows might be a little rough, who knows. He seems like a shy kid who won't do much on stage as far as jumping around and all that entertaining stuff (like Mikey would do). I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I honestly believe the "pro Mike" faction would still (rightly so) view his dismissal as extremely short sighted and cruel, no matter who strapped on the bass. Sheehan, an individual with a strong stage presence and skill on the instrument, would hardly be a fellow to mellow into the background, no matter how poorly lit he was on stage or in the mix.

Personally, I'd be clamoring for a solo spot from the guy, as he is one of the few rock bassists today that command my attention. Yes, admittedly, that is in and of itself a relatively short list to begin with. Even so, it is doubtful that Ed Van Halen, (in his current guise as "Dark Helmet" from Spaceballs") would be willing to allot any of the metaphoric spotlight to the guy for such a thing, nor do I see the boys gathered around center stage to acoustically perform "To Be With You".

So Sheehan's presence would be more mystifying than anything else. Considering the notion that today's Van Halen logo should be a large question mark to begin with, in an abstract way it would make absolute, perfect sense.

So clearly, in regard to the issue raised, the answer is...err, Hey, football season begins tonight!
    Last edited by chefcraig; 09.06.07 at 08:23 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I honestly believe the "pro Mike" faction would still (rightly so) view his dismissal as extremely short sighted and cruel, no matter who strapped on the bass. Sheehan, an individual with a strong stage presence and skill on the instrument, would hardly be a fellow to mellow into the background, no matter how poorly lit he was on stage or in the mix.

Personally, I'd be clamoring for a solo spot from the guy, as he is one of the few rock bassists today that command my attention. Yes, admittedly, that is in and of itself a relatively short list to begin with. Even so, it is doubtful that Ed Van Halen, (in his current guise as "Dark Helmet" from Spaceballs") would be willing to allot any of the metaphoric spotlight to the guy for such a thing, nor do I see the boys gathered around center stage to acoustically perform "To Be With You".

So Sheehan's presence would be more mystifying than anything else. Considering the notion that today's Van Halen logo should be a large question mark to begin with, in an abstract way it would make absolute, perfect sense.

So clearly, in regard to the issue raised, the answer is...err, Hey, football season begins tonight!
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.02.14 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No Mike, No Van Halen!

If it's not the "original" 4, who gives a crap who they slip into that slot. It is only an unwanted substitution.

You can polish a turd and make it all nice and shiny, but at he end of the day, it's still a turd.

A substitution is not what WE deserve and anything less than the original 4 should not make any of us feel warm and fuzzy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

Mike deserves to be there - no one else.

But, Sheehan would prevent me from crying about the nepotism factor. Hmmm.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just glad someone started a "What if Bill Sheehan was in Van Halen" thread. Now if we could get a "David Coverdale in VH thread" life would be complete.

Besides, with Sheehan and Roth in the same band would Ed and Al then be replacing Vai and Bissonette?
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:15 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

As a father, I can understand Eddie wanting his son out there with him. That, at least is the reason I am not as upset about Mikey not playing.

If it were Billy or anybody else, I would be pissed off, but would still go.
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    I'm just glad someone started a "What if Bill Sheehan was in Van Halen" thread. Now if we could get a "David Coverdale in VH thread" life would be complete.

Besides, with Sheehan and Roth in the same band would Ed and Al then be replacing Vai and Bissonette?
    Sheehan was just an obvious example that popped into my head, but probably too obvious. That's why I ask "or someone like him." Believe me, I'm not happy about Mike being out, either - I rather he were there. However, lots of bands go through lineup changes, most without incident, but some proving to be very unpopular, like many times in VH.

My point is more to ask, would fans be a little less polarized about this if Wolfie wasn't the replacement? Hell, what if Steve Lukather picked up the bass and came into the band? Would fans have at least been, "man, I'm really pissed that Mike's out, but at least they got Steve, who's not that bad."

Wouldn't want to see Coverdale in VH - I like his stuff, and think that he and Sammy sound very similar at times, but don't think he fits the VH mold by any stretch. Besides, he and EVH would clash very early and often - there's no room big enough to hold those two egos.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    As a father, I can understand Eddie wanting his son out there with him. That, at least is the reason I am not as upset about Mikey not playing.

If it were Billy or anybody else, I would be pissed off, but would still go.
    I think people would be more accepting if he went out with his son on a solo tour of theaters, even with Alex on board, but calling it VH is what brings on the negative feedback. However, I don't think Ed is up for a small potatoes tour and is at the same time trying to set up Wolf's career by doing to VH what the KISS camp has said about their band in the future (continue on at some point with no original members). It ceases to be the band when the original creators aren't there anymore.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 4,795 Times in 2,447 Posts

Premium Member

You could put Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, Flea, Les Claypool, Pat Badger, Peter Cetera, etc with VH and it wouldn't make a difference. Eddie would still be out there and to many people, that is worse than GW Bush, Bin Ladin, Hillary and the entire lineup for the NY Yankees all put together. Hell Al Gore went on record that Global Warming is directly related to all the cigarettes that Eddie has smoked over the years.

Had Billy been invited, you would have seen more acceptance due to him being a professional for so long. However once Mike's face was removed from the website, all hell would have broken out.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    Wouldn't want to see Coverdale in VH - I like his stuff, and think that he and Sammy sound very similar at times, but don't think he fits the VH mold by any stretch. Besides, he and EVH would clash very early and often - there's no room big enough to hold those two egos.
    VH VAREB was making reference to a notorious time here at the links, shortly before or about the time that you joined, darth. A fellow actually claimed to have in his possesion some tapes of Coverdale rehearsing with Ed Van Halen. When called on it, the guy said he would send them to Brett. Virtually everyone registered here at the time got in on the act, then the whole house of cards came crashing down as the fellow was exposed as a fraud.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I would be more POed if it was just some other guy. Being a parent I can sort of understand the kid playing because maybe you don't know how many more miles ya got in your tank and you want to do it before you can't.

So if they had come out with Joe Dirt playing bass I wouldn't like that at all.

still holding out hope that it's a disaster early on and they crawl back to Mikey before the train wrecks here in Chicago :fingerscrossed:
    Last edited by hain23x; 09.06.07 at 12:13 PM.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    VH VAREB was making reference to a notorious time here at the links, shortly before or about the time that you joined, darth. A fellow actually claimed to have in his possesion some tapes of Coverdale rehearsing with Ed Van Halen. When called on it, the guy said he would send them to Brett. Virtually everyone registered here at the time got in on the act, then the whole house of cards came crashing down as the fellow was exposed as a fraud.
    got it... thanks!